The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
55_truck

55-59 task force Nerd Rods DIY frame

Hi all,

Looking for feedback from anyone who bought and successfully assembled/welded a Nerd Rods task force diy frame

Thanks
55_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 55-59 task force Nerd Rods DIY frame

that is a whole lot of welding. it is best to have a frame jig for that and digital measuring tools plus a welder who understands heat and shrinking/warpage etc. have you also checked Canadian hotrods in Tappen BC? I have seen their frames "in the process" and they are nice. cad designed, indexed and assembled on a frame table. well thought out with fuel, brake and battery lines hidden inside the frame rails and with all rebuilt original corvette underpinnings. the dollar difference from USD to CDN would make the nerds frame about $5500 CDN, plus shipping, brokerage etc. not sure what the Canadian hotrods frame is worth or where you are located but it may be worth contacting them and getting some prices. the other option would be to build your own less complicated frame from rectangular tubing. you still need the tools, a frame table/jig and a seasoned welder plus the parts and an IFS design that will work or a purchased IFS kit to weld/bolt in the front.
https://www.canadianhotrodsinc.com/1...-truck-chassis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
55_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
that is a whole lot of welding. it is best to have a frame jig for that and digital measuring tools plus a welder who understands heat and shrinking/warpage etc. have you also checked Canadian hotrods in Tappen BC? I have seen their frames "in the process" and they are nice. cad designed, indexed and assembled on a frame table. well thought out with fuel, brake and battery lines hidden inside the frame rails and with all rebuilt original corvette underpinnings. the dollar difference from USD to CDN would make the nerds frame about $5500 CDN, plus shipping, brokerage etc. not sure what the Canadian hotrods frame is worth or where you are located but it may be worth contacting them and getting some prices. the other option would be to build your own less complicated frame from rectangular tubing. you still need the tools, a frame table/jig and a seasoned welder plus the parts and an IFS design that will work or a purchased IFS kit to weld/bolt in the front.
https://www.canadianhotrodsinc.com/1...-truck-chassis
Thanks for the feedback DSRAVEN.
I looked at Canadian hot rod frame but I feel the price is too high @ 21K cnd for stage 1. It's hard to compare to nerds diy because it's fully assembled with C4 components already installed.
I know the welding portion isnt for some but if youre a ticketed welder with the correct equipment its just another days work.

Did you buy or assemble a Nerd rods frame?
55_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
dsraven

Nope. Looked at all the pieces and figured I wouldmod my stocker. Then ended up with a frame swap.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote