The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
Eyegore
What Hump?

Need A Kill Switch Wiring Schematic

Well after my sons truck got stolen it seemed that the consense was to have a kill switch and now that I have two c-10's I think I better wire them up so I have some chance at keeping them. So do any of you have a schematic for wiring a switch up? My mechanic said he has not installed one in years and me and wiring do not mix (ask my wife she was standing there last year when I grabbed hot 120, I did that after she said "wouldn't it be wise to shut off the power?") So I'm looking for something to give my mechanic for my 86 and my sons 80 to wire up.

Thanks

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I can help ya out

What kind of kill switch are you looking at, keyed or toggle? And where are you planning on putting it?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

Now a question for your question, what would you recommend - toggel or key? W/ a key are you refering to the type that has a hex pattern, I guess my trouble is that I don't think like a thief in which one would be more difficult - oh I'm not implying that you do though, I'm just having trouble figuring this thing out what will slow them down. I wish I could leave my great dane in the truck, nobody ever bothers her, she's taller and heavier than most people.
So Russel whatever you think would be the best.

Tom

Oh thank you!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I guess it depends on how anal you are...

By keyed, I mean that it is a switch that you stick a key into and turn like an ignition switch, whereas a toggle switch can be put most any other place...

As far as installing it is concerned, install it on the wire that goes to the HEI's power supply, but not in a place that is easily seen. This way he can break in, smash your column, and get the truck to turn over, but it won't ever start. This way the feller sits there for a couple extra seconds trying to get it to start (and it never will) which leaves some time for someone to catch him, and also keeps your truck safe. The theif won't try to find the toggle / keyed switch if he has any brains at all, but will take off and look for a new target.

Very easy install too -- Cut the HEI power line, install the switch between the two wires (you can add wire to it so you can put the switch wherever you want, like out back behind a fuel door or something) and your done.

Personally, I'll probally put a toggle in up inside of my dash, it will serve the same purpose, just that if the guy finds my switch, he'll be able to start it, while if you have the keyed switch installed, it will add further deterrant from him stealing the truck, if your really anal about it, you could weld the switch in so he can't bust it out and hotwire the keyed switch

Both installs would take the same amount of work (unless you wanna weld stuff, lol) and will do the same thing, just with different levels of deterrance. Just remember that none of these systems make it impossible to steal your truck, if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it, just that most of these guys don't have the tools or the time to bypass one of these switches.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #5
flip66

I have put them in before were you had to have the turn signel on, plug in the cig lighter or something like that to make it start.
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Prerunner1982

ok i have a toggle switch hiddle in my cab, i have about 4 other switches to various lights and such so he would have to know which one to flip. Tom, it you have a column mounted bright switch you could instal a floor mounted one that is wired at a kill switch. the power wire to the HEI that Russell is referring to i believe is Pink and the largest of the group of wires that goes into the distributor. You could also put a battery disconnect switch under your hood or hidden right behind the grille so you can reach in a flip it. Flaming river makes a decent switch but is rather expensive at about $50.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

Thanks guys you given me plenty of ideas, Russel thanks for explaining witch wires. $50 seems rather expensive but one 20" tire on my sons truck ran $250 so in the end it could balance out. We are finally settling with the insurance company, and you guessed right - were taking a loss. We had reciepts for everything, appraisel, pictures sometimes you got to wonder if its worth fixing up a truck or car, because no matter what theft device you have - "if they want it bad enough......". Well my son is really putting alot of time into his 80, new front fenders, new cowl hood, solid skin w/ no indentation for the tailgate hopefully he'll get enough to finish everything up, so his next step will be kill switch, alarm.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

If you use a battery disconnect you'll have to reprogram the radio all the time. I think the simplest one to use would be to put a toggle switch on the HEI hot wire. Put the switch wherever you want and tell no one, even us. Make sure you put it somewhere it would be the least obvious to a thief but easy for you to get to. Wherever you put it, make the wiring going to it as invisible as you can. Anything out of the ordinary will stand a good chance of being spoted.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:36 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Not trying to disagree with you guys, but I go about things a bit different. I don't want the thug to think he has found the correct wires to even get the motor to turn over.

That's why I always use a relay and break one of the wires to the neutral safety switch. By doing it this way the motor will not turn over no matter what they do to the column.

My thoughts are it's bad enough to come out to a busted column. It's even worse to have a burned up starter and a dead battery.

Two ways to go on the key switch option. You can use an alarm style key switch, or you can use one from the rear door of a Burb/Blazer. They use a GM style key but have an electrical swith built in....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:01 PM   #10
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Two ways to go on the key switch option. You can use an alarm style key switch, or you can use one from the rear door of a Burb/Blazer. They use a GM style key but have an electrical swith built in....

If you go with something like that isn't it easy to just cut and splice with wires with you being able to see where the key hole is then the connections is right behind there?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #11
Bowed

I've been thinking about a switch set up to use when you have to leave your vehicle in a vundurable situation and you dont want to take a chance on some thief finding a kill switch if they had time to look for it . I was thinking of a switch that was in series with a carefuly placed fuse where if the switch was activated and someone tried to start the vehicle , the fuse would blow instantly and the ball game would be over right there. Maybe someone like Necromancer would have some tips on that .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10
If you go with something like that isn't it easy to just cut and splice with wires with you being able to see where the key hole is then the connections is right behind there?
It depends on where you mount it. If you mount it in a panel that has direct access to the rear, then it would be easy to defeat. If you mount in a panel that can't be accessed from the rear, it's as hard to defeat as any other key switch.

No matter what, it's still harder to defeat than a toggle switch....
Old 05-27-2004, 01:33 AM   #13
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i think i'm gonna add one of these tommorow when i wire up my tach
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:35 AM   #14
Eyegore
What Hump?

Woe everyone wires, switches, access, there are sure are alot of great ideas but would it not be easier to get one of those column clamps that protect the internals of the column with heavy steel? I mean it seems that if your parked in a place where your truck will be left alone all day like in a parking garage, that is where mine will set it sure gives someone the oppurtunity and time to trace wires. By having the column protector seems that it would deter anyone since the cannot break the lock. Does this sound sensible? I know their going to get it if they really want it, a guy had his 92 c-10 stolen out of his driveway, they backed a wrecker up to it by slaming the lifts under the tires and just hauled it off alarm blarring and neighbor shooting at him, oh he also returned fire back. So I know nothing is an actual deterent just slows tem down. Just my two pennys.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 AM   #15
southernmutt33

i used to have a kill switch, an a push button up under the dash of my old chevelle an dart...turn the key nothing. flip the kill switch nothing...turn the key, flip the kill, push button, started...they would neve have found the button.. it was all i could do to reach it when seated...an i never even showed my ex, so nobody but me knew how to start them....good thing to.....also if your getting an alarm dont they have a beeper that lets you know if sombody is messing with it.....also since you an your son put so much time money an love into your trucks id suggest lo-jack or some or device like that....then you could pinpoint it to with in yards of where it ended up....my im anal about soemthing im putting time into, let alone money....an god have mercy on them because i wont....

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tom, It's kind of like cold weather cloting. It's better in layers. The more items you can add to deter a thief, the better off you are. That still won't stop a determined crook. They can load it on a trailer, or a roll-back wrecker, or car jack you, or...

Yes, a column guard is good protection. They aren't very pretty though. The crook can also go under the column too.

If you really want to go nuts, I can give you a long list of theft deterrent devices. I had a friend that owned a stereo store, and I installed, or saw the shop install quit a few different types of deterrent devices.

Here are a few ideas-

Multiple LED's. We installed high intensity LED's in the tail lights, third brake light, park light, drilled holes under the door handle and glued them in. This tells the crook you have an alarm without getting near the truck. It also tells him it's not your average $89.00 alarm.

Alarm with 2 or more sirens. If they find one to cut the wires, you still have another one going off. We also put sirens inside the car/truck to make it very annoying for the crook to be in your vehicle.

Add an air horn (with a on of feature) to you alarm. No one ignores it when it's going off.

Xenon strobes can be added to the interior too. This makes it hard for a crook to focus on what he is doing, and attracts attention.

Fake or multiple kill switches. We have done them where it requires two switches to be in the correct sequence, and added a fake one in an obvious location.

A column guard, with a steering wheel locking device slows them down some. A car cover prevents them from seeing what you have to start with.

I have more if you want....
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #17
Prerunner1982

if you were to install an electric fuel pump you could also wire a kill switch to it, and one to your hei, and one to your nuetral kill switch. have to have them in the right sequence to start it. gives him 8 different sequences to choose from to get it right.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

Just had an idea that would look completely stock, but serve the same function as any of the toggles or keyed setups...

Would only work for non-cruise trucks without the headlight / wiper switches in the truck.

Just need to buy a relay that acts as a bit of an electrical switch, so when you hit the cruise button, it opens the relay, and keeps the power flowing until you hit the button again, which closes the relay, and disables the vehicle.

What theif would ever think to hit the cruise switch if the truck wouldn't start? Also, if you forget to arm the system and he decides to set the truck to cruise control, it would die, and not start back up unless he thought to hit the cruise again, lol!

I mean, its totally stock, and would look completely factory if you did a proper job wiring it.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #19
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

Too bad we have to worry about this stuff.

I have toggle kill switch and Grant detachable steering wheel.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote