The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
pat's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lindsay, TX
Posts: 1,245
How to remove lower ball joints?

Finally getting to do some work on my frame and I got some new lower ball joints. But how do I get the old ones out and the new ones in?
68 Chevy 383/350 w/shift kit, 380hp/425ft-lbs, 4.5/5 drop, 17" TT2s
64 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
Account Suspended
Robo_bot's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kelowna BC Canada
Posts: 481
they are pressed into the control arm u will need to get them Hyd. pressed out by a shop or if u have one go for it and then all u do is do the same process to press in the new ones
Robo_bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

old Rusty C10's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Howell NJ USA and a house in Deposit NY USA
Posts: 19,546
if youve still got the a frames in the truck you can get a small press tool from autozone or pep bopys and do em right in the truck or ive also been told ( although ive never tried it) to support the lower control arm and give the ball joint a couple of whacks with a baby sledge and it will pop out you can then put the new ball joint in the hole and grease it some and support the bottom of the ball joint with something about the same size then beat the control arm down around it. Again ive never tried that routeso if thats an old wives tale ya didnt hear it from me lol

1979 Chevrolet C20 LWB
1980 Chevrolet C10 SWB
1998 Chevrolet K2500 LWB
1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1966 Ford Mustang
2018 Subaru Forrester (wifes ride)
2014 Ram Bighorn SLT 4X4 Longbed Diesel
1992 Ford Superduty flatbed tow truck
2004 Dodge reg cab swb 2wd
2014 Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board" (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving/Valley Ranch, Tx
Posts: 897
I've used the ball joint press that Autozone rents out. It looks like a big C-clamp and you attach a wrench or socket to it and press out the old one then press in the new one. Its pretty straight forward and the longer the wrench you use the easier it is to do. Its $99 at Autozone, but you get your money back when you return it.
GM RPO Codes

'95 K1500 4x4 Ext Cab
5.7 TBI
NV4500 Tranny, 14 Bolt swapped in, locker, 3.73's
CEDJUNIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chinle, Arizona
Posts: 60
you can smack the old ones out, but I do recommend the use of the press or the c-shaped press.
SkyBlue72' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered User
Booga1's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 86
Ball joint press is the best way to go. I got mine from Harbor Freight...

Booga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Account Suspended
Sublvr72's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,387
call me old fassioned but I prefer the pickle fork and jack method. I have used it many times sucessfully on almost all of my cars and trucks from the suburban, silverado, and my Impala. Works everytime!
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
COBALT's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 5,817
They're not talking about separating the ball joint from the spindle. That's what the pickle-fork's for. They're talking about getting the ball joint out of the lower control arm. Gotta have a press for that, either manual or hydrolic.

I popped mine out with the C-clamp press, and had them pressed in at a shop. Worked great.

Beware that those lower control arms can only take X number of presses before the hole gets too big and you either have to contemplate sleeves or new control arms...
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd-350ci/TH400
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd-350ci/4sp Manual
'99 2wd 5.7 Chevy Tahoe
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Account Suspended
Sublvr72's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,387
oh, my mistake. Yep the press is the only way to go. I heard that some people are starting to use modified pullers to remove the spindle from the ball joint....
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013