The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
farside847

Kill switch wire

Quick question, what wire is best to use with a kill switch? I have a positive and a negative to my coil, and a positive and negative to my electronic ignition. Not sure which wire to cut......

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
junkyardjohn

Re: Kill switch wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
Quick question, what wire is best to use with a kill switch? I have a positive and a negative to my coil, and a positive and negative to my electronic ignition. Not sure which wire to cut......

Thanks!
IF IT'S AN AUTOMATIC, I ALWAYS USE THE PURPLE WIRE ON THE NUETRAL SAFTY SWITCH. JUST PUT A 25 AMP OR BIGGER TOGGLE SWITCH IN LINE & HIDE IT SOMEWHERE UNDER THE DASH. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
farside847

Its a 3sp manual. I was thinking the coil would be the best thing to disable, and I can hide the wires real good. Just dont know which one to interupt. Coil positive, coil negative, ignition positive, or ignition negative. I dont want to break something, you know?

Last edited by farside847; 05-13-2006 at 07:46 PM.
farside847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
NateObee

It don't matter. it's all dc current. i put a momentary on push button in line with my starter. so you gotta hold the button while you turn the key. i figure it complicated enough to confuse any one who want's to rid me of my baby. I got a Blazer, that's got the top all summer, so i can't count on door locks. i'm also thinking about a coil power switch, hidden in the grill somewhere. i think i just like being sneeky, and creative.

Nate
NateObee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
kwmech

I have always hooked up to the tach lead of the coil. When I flip the switch it grounds it.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
IF IT'S AN AUTOMATIC, I ALWAYS USE THE PURPLE WIRE ON THE NUETRAL SAFTY SWITCH. JUST PUT A 25 AMP OR BIGGER TOGGLE SWITCH IN LINE & HIDE IT SOMEWHERE UNDER THE DASH. JOHN
I have been preaching this for years. I'm glad to see someone else uses the same method.

You want a kill switch to "kill" the system. That means that if someone tries to hot wire the ignition switch they get nothing. It won't turn over, so they keep trying until they get frustrated and give up...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:18 AM   #7
4x4Poet

Why cut a wire? Just add a crimp-on, loop terminal to the engine end of your kill switch wire and bolt it to whichever wire's loop or U-terminal you pull off the coil. Cover with shrink wrap or electrical tape to prevent grounding. Run a new wire to the coil.

Luv the neutral switch wire idea. Needed to know that. Thanks, JYJohn.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 05-14-2006 at 02:18 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Hello...If you want the kill switch to cut the motor off put it in the positive coil wire. It comes from the ignition switch which is how the key shuts off the engine anyway HOWEVER....if it's for antitheft the guys who use the solenoid wire to the starter are right. if you don't have a neutral safety switch it's still a purple wire on the ignition switch on the sol terminal. this won't let the thief crank the engine at all. Some people have a tendency to keep cranking an engine if it will turn over even if it doesn't start which will kill the battery and overheat the battery cables and starter wires.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
67chevemall

purple wire going to the starter is the safest and easiest.
In high risk areas I pull the plug off the dizzy just enough so it looks like it is plugged in but in isn't..
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
I LIKE it! What a great idea! Thanks!

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
dwaite72lnghrn

One thing you have to consider is when I hot wire my sons car all it takes is a jumper from the bat to dizzy and a screw driver and 10 seconds. Switches that interrupt electric "MIGHT" slow the average guy down but really won't stop them, Unless you add hood locks to keep them out of the engine compartment to bypass the switches you put in. Multiple systems including electric and fuel cutoffs are the best solution.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaite72lnghrn
One thing you have to consider is when I hot wire my sons car all it takes is a jumper from the bat to dizzy and a screw driver and 10 seconds. Switches that interrupt electric "MIGHT" slow the average guy down but really won't stop them, Unless you add hood locks to keep them out of the engine compartment to bypass the switches you put in. Multiple systems including electric and fuel cutoffs are the best solution.
THEIVES ALWAYS SEEM TO BE IN A HURRY. I JUST HOPE TO SLOW THEM DOWN LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO GRAB A SHOTGUN. I OWN A TOWTRUCK, & BELIEVE ME, IF SOMEONE MAKES UP THERE MIND TO STEAL YOUR TRUCK...... IT'S GONE. I HAVE TOWED CARS WITH THE ALARM BLARING, RIGHT PAST COPS. IF IT'S NICE..... INSURE IT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
myraley

Question Re: Kill switch wire

I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could clarify about the coil wire kill switch. I understand putting it on the positive wire from the ignition to the coil, but how does grounding the negative wire that runs from the coil to the tach act as a kill switch? does someone have it connected that way? I have a toggle switch where I can switch the wire coming from the coil negative from the tach to a ground, but I dont understand why that would prevent the engine from starting. Anyone?
myraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
caminokid
Chevy nut

Here is a crazy idea I did about 15 years ago... I dont ever use my high beams. I had a 79 1/2...3 on the tree...screwed up column. I wired the starter to the dimmer switch on the floor to start it. Put the key in trun it to on and mash your foot down on the dimmer switch and when it starts mash your foot down to disengage the starter. Worked good. Someone tried to stel my truck 2 months after I did that...they peeled my column and found out they couldnt get it started.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Grounding the negative wire would prevent any build-up of current in the primary coil windings which when the points opened would normally break the circuit and allow the secondary windings in the coil to discharge and cause a spark to the plugs.
The problem with this setup is, if the key is left on it will energize the primary winding in the coil and could either burn up the coil or discharge the battery.
Same with HEI but it's the module not points.
the trouble is that not just one thing is going to keep thieves from stealing your truck.
Suppose he has a buddy and they just ease it into neutral and push it down the street to another vehicle and tow it away. Then they can strip it later. No noise and no one sees anything.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
myraley

Thanks guys. So Vette, so as far as connecting the switch to a wire from the coil, the positive is the better choice then, because it will prevent power from getting TO the coil, right?
myraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

In my opinion that is the first place a thief would go to put a jumper from the battery so grounding the negative side would be the best except for the reason I stated in my above post. I am in agreement with the other guys that say disable the battery or the starter so it won't crank at all. I've been toying with the idea of putting a relay such as a headlight relay in the main fusebox feed going into the firewall. A switch would disable all power going to the secondary electrical system. It wouldn't be enough though because the thief would still be able to jump the battery to the coil and then jump the starter and get the engine running. I think it would prevent the joy riders and amateurs from stealing the truck but it's not foolproof.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
AJohn6
Knuckle head

I put a switch attached to the neutral safety switch wire. I like it and I think most crooks/joyriders wouldn't find. Heck I have issues sometimes.

I really like the idea of using a momuntary button switch. When I was deployed last year we had a Toyota Hi-Lux pickup that had an inconspicous metal tab just forward of the ignition. If a finger, from the hand you were turning the ignition with, wasn't touching the metal tab when you were turning the switch, the truck wouldn't start. It would turn over and thats it. Talk about a pain in the a$$ when it was your day to drive and no one had shown you how to start it.

Last edited by AJohn6; 05-11-2008 at 07:05 PM.
AJohn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
sickchevy68cst
Rice Killing 101

i found out. if u have ac (just saying) in 68 there is a fatty brown wire that went to the interior ac box and the switch on that is a natural cut off i was quite suprised with my friend saying hey wat does this do goin down the freeway then the motor goin putt putt shhhh i was in utter amazement

Ride:
1968 c20 lwb 327(orig motor)/np435/eaton 4.10 w/posi
puttin in a 496 rebuilding trans need to rebuild diff :|
need to start takin pics and start a project thread
sickchevy68cst is offline   Reply With Quote