The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Frizzle Fry

White Wall Tire Paint???

Ok, I know about the porta-walls and don't really want to go that route with radials. I know it may sound hokey but I found this product and was wondering if anyone has some insight into painting on white-walls. I also read somewhere that guys have had success using white plasti-kote. Seems like if it starts to discolor it would be cheap and easy to touch up

Anyone tried anything like this?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
WarBeard

Re: White Wall Tire Paint???

this way is the best way to make homemade whites......the paint always falls off
WarBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomech View Post
YouTube - Make your own Wide White Wall tires

this way is the best way to make homemade whites......the paint always falls off
That's pretty sweet and right up my ally. But, I'd like NEW tires...
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

At one time I knew a guy that had a method to cut throgh the black to expose the white beneath,any way you wanted.Most tires are made with the white whether there are RWL or WW.He could put what ever words you wanted.It was some machine and there`d be others providing that service,if you could find one.I always wanted some Badyears like in CARtoons.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Charlesdur

I have done this and it worked well. You will need to clean the tire with a little sanding, some household cleaner like windex, make a template for the rim and either mask the outer end of the tire or make a template large enough to cover the outside of the tire. I dont have pics of the actual work, but plan on cleaning it very good, spraying lightly, take your time and do multiple coats. Also plan on doing it in another week or so to give it a really clean look.
Attached Images

1971 3/4 ton
454 cu.in.
4 speed manual

1966 Thunderbird
390 cu.in.
Airride
Roadster

Last edited by Charlesdur; 08-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Charlesdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

There you go! What product did you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesdur View Post
I have done this and it worked well. You will need to clean the tire with a little sanding, some household cleaner like windex, make a template for the rim and either mask the outer end of the tire or make a template large enough to cover the outside of the tire. I dont have pics of the actual work, but plan on cleaning it very good, spraying lightly, take your time and do multiple coats. Also plan on doing it in another week or so to give it a really clean look.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Charlesdur

I just used white Rust-Oleum Direct to Plastic spray paint from home depot. Now I know it's being sprayed on rubber, but my thought process is that it must be flexible to be on plastic and thinner to be absorbed by the plastic. I didn't buy the $40.00 stuff that they sell on ebay and other places which I am sure is good. I drive my truck often and it looks awesome and hasn't cracked or anything. Plus when you are rolling down the road people just stop and stare. My brother is the only person who noticed that they were painted and that is only because he is a jerk... LOL

1971 3/4 ton
454 cu.in.
4 speed manual

1966 Thunderbird
390 cu.in.
Airride
Roadster

Last edited by Charlesdur; 08-06-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Charlesdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Brock
upgrading to an older model

just an idea from a woodworker...if someone could mount the tire on a balancing machine and spin it, I would think you could "shave" the sides just like you would wood on a lathe?

Last edited by Brock; 08-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesdur View Post
I just used white Rust-Oleum Direct to Plastic spray paint from home depot. Now I know it's being sprayed on rubber, but my thought process is that it must be flexible to be on plastic and thinner to be absorbed by the plastic. I didn't buy the $40.00 stuff that they sell on ebay and other places which I am sure is good. I drive my truck often and it looks awesome and hasn't cracked or anything. Plus when you are rolling down the road people just stop and stare. My brother is the only person who noticed that they were painted and that is only because he is a jerk... LOL
Thanks man, I'm gonna have to give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
just an idea from a woodworker...if someone could mount the tire on a balancing machine and spin it, I would think you could "shave" the sides just like you would wood on a lathe?
I had the same thoughts. Even might work for painting. Well, more like correcting a wavey edge after painting.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
GREASEMONKEY72

ive thought about doing the paint so i can have really wide whitewalls

but i sanded mine down about a year ago and havent had any problems and its not the standard whitewall as everyone else
Attached Images

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Ok, I know about the porta-walls and don't really want to go that route with radials. I know it may sound hokey but I found this product and was wondering if anyone has some insight into painting on white-walls. I also read somewhere that guys have had success using white plasti-kote. Seems like if it starts to discolor it would be cheap and easy to touch up

10 years ago when I lived in your area there was a tire shop on MLK blvd in portland that cut white wall tires. You can make a wide white wall from any white lettered or skinny white wall tire. I wouldn't think that tire paint would look good or hold up to the elements.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
job11451

Cool Re: White Wall Tire Paint???

i like the grinder look, it seems to be more solid and permanent. it will look great on my truck.
Quote:
dirty rat.
job11451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

This is from FRIZZLE FRY's link:

"To achieve a "perfect" curved paint line it is best to outline the desired whitewall area using common automotive painter's tape (pin stripe tape). After painting, the painted outlines must be scored to prevent tearing the paint upon removal of the tape."

Remember when you score that line with a razor blade push down real hard.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #14
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

A buddy of mine told me about a tire shop that used to cut white walls. It is a machine like a lathe that they used to cut the tires. Its no where near you but the option is there if you can find a shop that has the right machine. This old shop still has the machine but its broken. Oh well. Good luck.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
job11451

here's my grinder look it's still rough because i don't have a sander but i did sand bits of it and it's smooth.

the only flaw that i saw is that it's not a perfect circle, you can see the break in the line but it still gives the classy gangster look for cheap. thats what what i'm looking for this early on in my project.
4 speed granny
remote start
job11451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post

OK So ive had this done with quite a few cars.. I went with the shaving method.. I took the hour drive to sacramento. but it seems that many old school lowrider tire shops do the shaving of the whitewall. matter of fact im thinkin bout doin it to my cobras with rwl..
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
ol_skool_chevy

Mike theres a place in Portland that will shave your tires for you for $15.00 per tire. Dave and I just had two done and he did a pretty good job.
All you need is a tire with small whites now OR raised white letters to have shaved down.
Its 6841 Northeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard, Portland
(503) 283-9437

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #18
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
Mike theres a place in Portland that will shave your tires for you for $15.00 per tire. Dave and I just had two done and he did a pretty good job.
All you need is a tire with small whites now OR raised white letters to have shaved down.
Its 6841 Northeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard, Portland
(503) 283-9437
Just saw this. Nice, thanks!