The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Project Underhaulin

If you haven't read or been involved in the thread about the Lady that lost her husband and was trying to sell off all her and her late husband's 67-72 Chevy Trucks on Ebay , then you must be wondering what this is all about. I would encourage you to go and read through the thread linked to above and then come back here, but I'll try to sum it up pretty quick.

As stated, this Lady suddenly lost her husband at the young age of 46. Her and her husband Clyde loved these old Chevy Trucks. When he died his wife Dawn was left with four of them. She posted three of them and a bunch of parts for sale on Ebay in one auction, but none of the items sold because it was just so much to haul off. One of our members posted her story in the thread linked to above. As of this date the thread has been viewed over 15,000 times. A lot of people's hearts went out to this lady because of her situation, so we decided to take up donations to help her. In one week we raised over $1500 through our board members donations. Some other boards members even got involved and donated.

It was decided to give Dawn $1,000, and to take the remainder and get her other truck on the road for her. The fourth truck that Dawn has is a 67 SWB and it's very special to her. Her and her husband called the truck "Ole Girl" and before his death they had plans to fix it up. So, as you probably gathered Dawn's 67 SWB will be the subject of this build. We hope by doing this for Dawn that it might bring some closure in her life regarding her husband's passing.

We only have $550 as of now to work with, so our plans are modest. Hopefully we can get some parts and maybe even more money donated to take this build a step further, but for now we are going to try and keep it simple. Hence the name - UNDERHAULIN.

Here's a few pictures of Dawns 67.

Here's a link to the Parts List. We will keep it updated.

You can send any donations for this project through PayPal.

Last edited by tdave00; 02-12-2009 at 03:03 AM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
c10addict

Re: Project Underhaulin

I got parts laying around... Put a list together and If I have something you need I will ship it asap!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Trai, great synopsis of Dawn's story. It's a long story that's hard to put into words, but you got it right-on.
Here's a slide-show of Dawn's other trucks and parts that she was trying to sell, in case you didn't see them in the other thread. The 68 in these pics is a longbed stepside. Her 67 that she wants to keep is a shortbed with no bed. Anyone have experience they could share about cutting a long step into a shortbed? Anyone interested in "horse-trading" parts/trucks for labor?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

If you can Figure out a Way to Modify the Bed into a Shorty, I Have a Set of Step's for it..........

Just let me know where they would need Sent to..........

Great Job of Making this Happen for Dawn.

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
bryanschevyparts

i have a rebuilt dash and some other parts as well ,i will be watching for the list to help get this truck back on the road. this is one awesome group!!
bryanschevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

great project.

My youtube channel: Richards Metal Works

My Rig:
2000 GMC Sierra Classic Crew Cab Dually

My long term project:
The Boss Hoss 72 Chevy K30 PRO-Towing Build

Time for another epic ROAD TRIP! Starting April 30th!
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
68 short step

so what was dawns and her husbands vison for this truck???
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
tdave00 would know more, but I know; auto trans & stepside bed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

subscribed!....I'll be watching for a parts list too....I have a few things laying around here that I ship ASAP!!!

Great logo Trai!!!
Current Resto: 1966 Mustang-Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

It might be a week or so before I get a parts list together. Me and Woody will probably need to make a trip down there.

I think I am just going to be upfront with Dawn and tell her what we are doing. I had been discussing with her daughters a plan to keep it from her, but I don't think it's going to work. The reason is we will probably need some of the parts that she has and possibly parts off her other vehicles, so that's gonna be hard to explain.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Good job raising all the money guys! I hope this goes well. She is in TN right? There is a short step bed near me for real cheap incase you guys dont want to cut the longstep. Just let me know if you need anything. I'll give me free of charge. I have access to a lot. Good luck guys!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
I really don't know . I felt so weird being in her husband's garage that I sorta got overwhelmed and didn't ask. Next time I go down there I will be sure to get the details.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
I really don't know . I felt so weird being in her husband's garage that I sorta got overwhelmed and didn't ask. Next time I go down there I will be sure to get the details.
Sounds good then post up a "Parts needs list" and I am sure you will get most of what you need from these guys. Shipping is a big expense but if we all send small parts it will add up quick. Or you might be able to get donations to cover shipping for large good items. One member donates the part and a few others donate the money to ship!
Just a thought. PM me a list once you have it together.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
LUV2XCLR8
"Square Corvette"

Waiting on the Part list to see if I can help
Owner/Admin "TN Classic Truck Club"
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
Waiting on the Part list to see if I can help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Sounds good then post up a "Parts needs list" and I am sure you will get most of what you need from these guys. Shipping is a big expense but if we all send small parts it will add up quick. Or you might be able to get donations to cover shipping for large good items. One member donates the part and a few others donate the money to ship!
Just a thought. PM me a list once you have it together.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
You guys never cease to amaze me. We might just end up being able to do something much better than our expectations for this build if this keeps up.

BTW...Dawn's daughter Tiffany emailed me tonight and she doesn't know if it's a good idea to "let the cat out of the bag" to Dawn yet about our plans to get her 67 on the road. I would really like to go ahead and tell her because it would be so much easier than doing all this behind her back, but at the same time I am sure Tiffany knows her mom much better than we do. I'll keep you guys updated on this.

Last edited by tdave00; 09-12-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: [rant]Because I wanted to...how silly is having to explain why you edit a post.[/rant]
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 AM   #16
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

well how are ya'll suppose to work on the truck etc without her knowing? I know the girls are worried about her but I am not seeing where it will be possible for the truck to be worked on without her knowing or causing her further grief covering it up.

Please keep the other thread updated as well. That is the one ya'll have linked everywhere, and folks visiting may not understand to look here

(btw the post edit deal is part of the software, but a good thing as folks reply n edit to cover up bad sales, comments etc all the time )

borrowed from a friend:
I think it's Extremely entertaining when small minded people attempt to show how smart they are........do they not know that it is transparent
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #17
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
well how are ya'll suppose to work on the truck etc without her knowing? I know the girls are worried about her but I am not seeing where it will be possible for the truck to be worked on without her knowing or causing her further grief covering it up.

)

I agree and know you mentioned it before about letting her know about it. I think it would help her to have a hands on input into the build. She may want some weird item done or installed that would make no sense to any of us but mean the world to her, you know what I mean! So I say let her know about it and all the SUPPORT not Charity that she is getting here and it may help fill a big hole in her life right now even if it is just a little.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I agree and know you mentioned it before about letting her know about it. I think it would help her to have a hands on input into the build. She may want some weird item done or installed that would make no sense to any of us but mean the world to her, you know what I mean! So I say let her know about it and all the SUPPORT not Charity that she is getting here and it may help fill a big hole in her life right now even if it is just a little.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Those are my thoughts exactly, but her daughters had talked to her about moving the truck out of the garage and storing it at a friends house so she could get the garage cleaned up. They were wanting us to take it instead of actually storing it and surprise her, but I am with you guys. It's just gonna complicate things, but I am trying to respect her daughters opinions. Her daughter did tell me to do what I thought was best, so that's most likely gonna mean that I am going to tell her. That way we can explain why we are taking parts that she has and pulling parts off her other trucks. And, I agree it would be good so Dawn could have some input in what we are doing.

Last edited by tdave00; 09-13-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

I'm really Schocked that not one of our Board Vendor's have stepped up on this, Seem's to me that the Free Advertising would be Worth Quite a Bit for one of them......................

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #20
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
I'm really Schocked that not one of our Board Vendor's have stepped up on this, Seem's to me that the Free Advertising would be Worth Quite a Bit for one of them......................

Rick
Waiting for a list of needed parts?

Last edited by jb4short; 09-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ProAutomotive View Post
Waiting for a list of needed parts?
Thanks, and we should have one this coming weekend.

I just got off the phone with Dawn. I decided to go ahead and tell her. She was blown away!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Thanks, and we should have one this coming weekend.

I just got off the phone with Dawn. I decided to go ahead and tell her. She was blown away!
that's great- should make it easier on everyone
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
big_al_71

I wish I lived in the same area code as her, we could use my shop, tools, my techs would be all over this. I think it is a great idea that she was told about this being done for her, maybe she could help and it will help her with some closure ( thinking out loud)....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #24
71'tahoe

Is she around nashville? I can come down and help if ya'll need some labor help. Would love to help but I dont have any parts to offer........I do know how to do paint and body work!! ....maybe I could donate some material!!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe View Post
Is she around nashville? I can come down and help if ya'll need some labor help. Would love to help but I dont have any parts to offer........I do know how to do paint and body work!! ....maybe I could donate some material!!
She's actually around the Knoxville area. She lives in Sevierville, and we are going to take the truck to Maynardville, which is north of Knoxville, to work on it. Anything you can do to help will be welcomed.