The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Moved a Building

My wonderful neighbors decided to turn me in for a building I built 15 years ago w/o a permit.It`s not that they haven`t done the same thing.The problem was I asked the guy to stop cutting across the corner corner of my property.I went for a permit and found it was 2` too close to the property line.So,I had to get a zoning variance hearing.It`s a long story,but although I was confident they`d let it stay,they didn`t.I had a deadline and if it went beyond the county would charge me $100 a day and pay someone to tear it down.All this would be tacked onto my tax bill.All this as winter set in.The zoning/permit people had sympathy and granted a couple extensions.The county attorney wanted my money bad.
Here`s before:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2009 at 06:09 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: Moved a Building

I remember this. I was hoping you would win this one... but you *do* live in Maryland...
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
hotrodhomi

I was expecting "after" pictures. Have you moved the building yet or am I just impatient?
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

hahahaha... Tim leaving us in Suspense....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

I'd be on the phone everytime that neighbor contemplated doing something. What an Aye- whole

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

SUSPENSE!!!!!! Mwah hah hah hah.................................................................

Dang! I started this and got all muffed up with what picture was what(could only see codes) and kept moving and deleting.I had to run out and figured I`d deal with it later.I was surprised to see this here.I guess I didn`t realize I hit "post" already.
Well yeah,that`s how it sat for 15 years.You can see I didn`t just throw this up.We`ve eaten and drank plenty of merry in that building over the years.I don`t know how it could bother anyone.There`s no law that says I couldn`t slam a picnic table smack up against the fence and sit out there every day from 6am till 10pm making all the noise I want.This is just a thing built around a picnic table to keep the bugs out. And,we aren`t loud people.I think these malcontents just resent other people enjoying life and smelling the roses.I`m the kind of guy that would build one for his neighbor if they wanted one,as long as they bought the materials.See the tears in the screens?Their little kids,who`s bikes I`ve repaired when their deadbeat dads weren`t around,threw rocks through them after hearing their parents sitting around bad mouthing me.Sorry about the gripin`...
So,what I did was dig it out to below the floor structure on the uphill end,use a floor jack to take tension off,and cut sawzall the posts flush with the joist bottoms.Then,I jacked it up to lay 4' long 4x6 sleepers from the posts to the new footers 3' ahead.On the two leading corners I laid 2" steel pipe between the floor and sleepers to help cut friction.I took chain and made a loop around the floor and hooked a come-along to it and the hitch on a truck.I pulled my`72 GMC in and started crankin` down.It got tighter and harder until,finally,I had movement.The building didn`t budge.It was the truck kicking the block out from behind the wheel and the truck moved.I blocked it better on other wheels,too.The truck still moved before the building.I figured I`d load weight in the truck and get my lazy tail up in the loft and unload all the heavy truck parts.So,that`s what`s on the pallets under the tarp.My `92 GMC had been at my friend`s warm garage for an engine swap since this was January.Well,I got that back here and realized this was the truck to hook to.It weighs nearly 8,000# I think.That was the ticket.The only problem I had was during the jacking it managed to walk uphill about 4".I said screw it.It would have been a real challenge pulling it in that direction.There`s no place for a truck and nothing straight in line to pull to.The right corner also moved about 4" ahead of the left corner.But,I managed to relocate the come-along and pivot that around.It was actually a pretty cool experience.Pretty simple,but I could have had a mess if I wasn`t careful.The building is 10X14.Not real big,but it has an attic with 4x6 joists and a 1x8 t&g floor,too.
This shows the old post and new footer:

This is the mess created behind it.I`m thinking a slab would be nice.I`m planning a new higher fence and this will be a private little nook:

Here it is in it`s new place:

The brick walk was a bit off now:

I corrected it`s aim:

I just got mulch yesterday and just need some bucks to buy plants now.I`ve put the new posts in for the fence,to.Just waiting for funds for the fence boards.I want to use 1x6 with dog eared corners.That`s a 45 degree 1x1 cut out of each corner.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Sillyoldman

Good job. I know you won't do this. If it were me I'd paint the side of the roof facing the neighbor blaze freaken orange. Thats just me though.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I`ve had thoughts...many thoughts.

Like:
*Mount my Bose 801s on the fence and blast Jimi Hendrix at 6:01 am and again prior to 10 pm.
*Have a biker party every Sunday.
*And,worse.
These are things I really am going to do:
*Mount festive lights around the cieling and leave them on (LED).
*I have a metal sign that I will mount on the building facing them where they can see it:

Actually,this whole thing started,after living here over20 years,over a little thing and they made it a big thing with this hassle.They have a building that was built w/o a permit(that I supplied and installed the siding on for free) that is too close to the property line,a sundeck w/o a permit built from sawmill untreated limber(not legal),they just built a bridge over the creek w/o a permit (an issue with state dept of environment),and get this...The father bought the meadow next to me where this bridge was built.Before he died the father told me he never got the title because the IRS had a lean on it for non-payment by the seller.The guy also never paid property tax since he bought it in`88.So,it`s in the hands of the county as of 6/08 when it would go for auction.I checked and no one bought it last year.These ignorant people don`t know anything about it.It`s a non-buildable lot.They think they own it,but technically the seller can pay the back taxes(or anyone else)and it`s theirs.I could buy it for about $18,000,but they`re never leaving and I don`t want to stay here.I`m going to complain about the lot use situation sometime soon and have my buddy at the county(we became friends through all this)say that the inspector noticed the new bridge while he was inspecting my building and looked into the permit records,then they will get the state on them.The fact is,they need to get their father`s money back from the seller.But,they don`t own that lot.
All the permit stuff I`ll wait to turn them in for when I sell my place.I don`t want a war.Just drop a bomb on my way out.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-02-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

"Just drop a bomb on thw way out!"

I HATE neighbors like that.

Well built screen room, it withstood the move, awesome!
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

It`s a darn shame this clan of inbreds have turned mean.It`s another story.But,basically I`ve been diplomatic and kept myself from negative thoughts.But,these people are so full of contempt and my passiveness gave them the impression they could walk over me.They just never tryed until one day and I`d had enough.I saked the guy to please stop cutting the corner and straddling the little rocks pile I placed there 20 years ago to keep the front of my house a mud pit.The pile is about 3' on my side of the property line,so I allowed some swing.I even told him he could widen the apron,just stay off the grass.Well,he called me an a-hole and that set me off.He`s a big redneck that always has a stogie stuffed in his mouth and thinks he`s bad.He thinks I`m not because I`m friendly.He`s younger than me and has had heart surgery already,is waaaay overweight,out of shape,says he can`t run a weedeater anymore because of his heart,eats a high carb diet,and smokes the cigars.He`s prolly die of a heart attack before I got a chance to whoop him.
Here`s thier place.That ladder has been there about a year and a half:

The fence runs down the line btween thier right of way and that meadow they think they own.That building is supposed to be 20. from the line:

This is up against the fence.They don`t pay for trash service.They just haul it out about once a month.I have to keep rat poison in my barn and every fall keep them from settling in my house:

They had the line surveyed the afternoon before the second hearing when the commision suggested it be done since they questioned my set-back dimensions along thier lane.My guesstimate was right on.My woodshed was too close to that line and that variance was approved.The back line wasn`t surveyed even though they questioned my setback there,too.I just took this picture.See the corner stake?Tell me what you see.These people are stooooo-pid .I was using my fence (they said it was thiers) as the property line.As you can see the fence sets on me by a bit over a foot.So,I was actually only 1' too close:

I`m not putting them down,but they act like they own the Hearst Mansion and I`m an eyesore built in thier way.The funny thing is,my house was there over 100 years before thiers and I`ve completely restored the house.I think they wanted it to go the other way and have it fall to the ground.I also bought it without it being listed for sale.I`m thinking the family hoped to buy it when it went for sale.The old woman who lived there all her life before the people I bought from told them if they were the last people on earth she still wouldn`t sell to them.They`ve only been there about 3 years longer than me.I`ve been ther since`86.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

That's too bad.
We had neighbors like that when I was younger.
It was a wierd small lot surrounded by small farms (3-15 acres).I used my crosman pump to snipe x-mas lights often (which were left all year around ) I was around 12.
When the lady started dumping weed killer over the fence into my mom's flowers, it got ugly.
They moved (may have been the target shooting, in the county on acreage, responsibly)

I see you own the back of a cr@p shack too (the white one next to the trash)
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I wonder how they`d be if they had a bad neighbor.Hopefully they`ll find out when I sell the place.They get resentful when they see me enjoying life."look at him out there planting those pretty flowers","Didn`t he just mulch last year?","Man,there he goes firing up that grille.It seems he`s grillin`all year`round at least twice a week".All this would upset me,too.It`s the same family (clan) all around,if you count the lot they don`t own.I won`t even get into the others.The father who died and I had respect for each other.Now that he has died is when it got bad.He and I are both self-made and he knew that.His dropplings,about my age,are just riding on his coat tale.They`d never have a house if it wasn`t one he had bought.That`s how I know they are permanent.Both daughters are barefoot pregnant drop-outs and I`m sure one will end up in that house after the parents die before their time from a heart attack.I`ve watched them triple in size since I moved there.Their generations repeat every 16 years.
I really just wanted to show my building move.But,obviously this was a burr under my saddle or a good while(since 9/07).Yeah,the crap shack was put there recently.The stake has been there since 9/23.After the hearing they told me they were upset that the crew didn`t survey the back line because they paid to have it done.They said they were going to get them back out there.Hasn`t happened yet.They are habitual liars as well.

Tim

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Skirkpat

Thats a shame, Remember...Success is the best revenge...I would smile everytime I saw them, wave ...heck I personaly would spend as much time being neighborly to them as possible. Believe me it will drive them crazy.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

OK you do relize that once the build was up on blocks its a NOT a perminent building so you could have left it there......

ANd that trash is a health concern for my kids when I visit so you should call the heath dept before I sue you!!!!

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,I could call the health dept. on the trash,the state about the bridge,and the county about the buildings.That was my first impulse.I want it as peaceful as possible and besides,there`s nothing better than letting them think I won`t turn them in and then do it when they aren`t expecting it.I do try to just carry on.When I see them I at least nod and smile as they go by.He just glares at me.He`s not too nice to his own kids.
Across the road is another county.They don`t need permits for pole buildings.I found out my county requires them.My woodshed is 8x10 and sits on four solid blocks.I built it there but it`s a portable building.I had to get a permit for that,too.
Here`s that building and where the problem started.See those rocks?He was staddling them with his truck.They tryed to say the line was at the utility pole.That wouldn`t make for much of a 15' right of way.That`s why the commission said survey it and come back.The neighbors asked,"Well,who has to pay for that?"The commission amswered,"We don`t care.You,him,or half and half". Yeah right! I sure wasn`t spending my money.They said they couldn`t order us to do a survey and if we didn`t they`d go with my measurements.So,the surveyers showed up the afternoon before the second hearing.

The rocks got pushed his way from him him stradling them.They started at 3' my way of the line.

Tim

Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

if I was in your shoes I could have some serious fun. it would start off with me inviting them over for a "let by-gone's be by-gone's" grilling party. I would be nice and polite, have a kind chat about local history and some other no-threatening subjects. then while his family is in the middle of eating I would turn ugly and uncover all his questionable and/or illegal actions along with mentioning the different authorities you plan to get involved. finally I would suggest he stay as far away from me and my family and our property as possible. do not let him speak, tell him there is nothing he can say or do aside from total compliance with my wishes. now spit out MY food and leave my property as tomorrow morning there will be a restraining order placed on you. "have a nice day"

but then again I am evil at times. LOL
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

This could go back and forth forever.I could have fun,but I`m doin`the cheek turn thing.He runs down his lane on his mower,looks over with his stink stick in his mouth,and glares.I smile and nod or give a casual wave,like raise my index finger with a nod.He`s like a cartoon character on that big bad mower(looks like a toy under his big arse).
They get all excited once about this time of year and plant something they never water and it dies.Years ago they planted roses between the white fence and lane.It must have rained alot that year,they made it.They have not touched them since.I trimmed them every winter and always clipped the spent roses so they`s flower all summer instead of once.So,they alwats looked real nice and they didn`t know why.Now 1/2 are dead and the rest look like "H".The old man allowed me to use the lane to access the barn and slab I work off of.These folks would accuse me of running over the roses they ran over.I never touched the ones behind my line and they all died within a year or two.
Back when they had trash service they`d get cut off and they`d just leave it all out there,no lids,Stacked high and falling over,bags on the ground for a month.I`d slip some over to my drive until it all magically disappeared(in thier eyes).of course animals would tear into it.
Then,they`d pile it on their illegal deck and animals would tear into it.She`d accuse my dog who is either on a 70' runner with 16' lead or loose while I`m with him.I suggested that perhaps the cats the other clan household allowed to breed freely,opossums,raccoons,crows,other stray dogs could be doing it.Do people build decks to keep bags of trash for weeks?How pleasant.

This sure has turned into a gripefest.Not my intention,so sorry.I could have posted something about them or her brother`s family every week since I`ve been on this site,but my probs are just that.
This is my happy place.

Tim

Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Sillyoldman

Tim. My last place was on a corner lot. The fence belonged to me. It bordered two other properties. One day neighbor #1 was doing some landscaping. He brought on dirt and buried my fence about a foot deep. To his credit he fixed the problem after I told him it would rot the fence out. One day neighbor#2 decided to build a fence. I was awakened by what sounded like someone beating on my garage wall. I went to investigate. The guy was extending my fence line on my property. He didn't ask permission. I decided to let it go. Another day I went out and heard shoveling. As I looked at the fence (good neighbor type) I saw dirt seeping through the slats into my yard. The dude had my fence buried in three feet of dirt. He told me he was taking up gardening. I told him he'd better take up landscaping because the fence was not a retaining wall and the dirt had to go. The nerve of some people!

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Can`t we just get along?Or,at least be considerate?It`s not like we`re in the middle of 100 acres.My 55 up on the mountain is calling.The daughter used to catch the school bus from my place,They`d borrow salt,sugar,coffee,anything they ran short on.They all hung in my yard because I had swings of all sorts,zip line,every pedal toy and scooter you can imagine,a slab`n`hoop(basketball),feed them snacks and drinks all day,watch movies,and all that while their parents layed around.I gave them bikes,I put siding on that grey shed with my materials for free,and by my son wasn`t allowed over at their place.
Oh...I put that ladder away today.

Tim

Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oh...I put that ladder away today.

yours or theirs?

my suggestion would be used the day before you move out.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
Skirkpat

I have never met you or them, I understand the frustation...but the feeling that I get is that you are a considerate and happy person, they are not...probably a product of their enviroment (they do not know any better). I know that frustration from my almost 20 years working in Factory's. It is sad and in my opinion preventable through education and empathy but as you know by now that some people will NEVER get it. I take pride in my ability to "Turn a blind eye to ignorance" and am glad to see that you also seem to share in my outlook on life, I have not seen one posting that leads me to believe that you would change places with them in any aspect of their life. Sorry if I got wordy but what I was trying to say is thanks for being the Enlightened one, and I truly am sorry that more people can not recognize your actions as that.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Did you want to borrow money or something?That`s aweful nice!
And,thanks.One needs to hear these things from time to time.It`s been rare in my life,but that doesn`t change me.You and I share the outlook.The one thing that tears me up is how they turned the kids against me.They just jut their chin out and look straight ahead when walking by on their lane.I fear they will become as their parents are.These people sound angry talking to there kids.
The 11 year old son loads firwood into a yard trailer while dad sits and shouts orders."Poosh it up`ere.No!not there!Grab it with your left hand.The other left!Now git that other`n over`ere.C`mon boy!"
When the kids through the rocks through the screening(I caught them in the act) I went out and stopped them and let them know I was very disappointed in them.One at a time both mothers came down with their kid with an apology note aknowledging all that I have done for them.The mothers offered to pay.I told them the screen was cheap,I do my own work,and it`s mostly labor.I just want them to help me fix it for restitution.Then,I had the incident over cutting the corner and that was it for the restitution.That`s a great way to teach a kid,huh?It`s sad.

I was talking about my wooden ladder against the tree.Someone who saw it there last June commented it was still there.

Tim

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This could go back and forth forever.I could have fun,but I`m doin`the cheek turn thing.He runs down his lane on his mower,looks over with his stink stick in his mouth,and glares.I smile and nod or give a casual wave,like raise my index finger with a nod.He`s like a cartoon character on that big bad mower(looks like a toy under his big arse).
They get all excited once about this time of year and plant something they never water and it dies.Years ago they planted roses between the white fence and lane.It must have rained alot that year,they made it.They have not touched them since.I trimmed them every winter and always clipped the spent roses so they`s flower all summer instead of once.So,they alwats looked real nice and they didn`t know why.Now 1/2 are dead and the rest look like "H".The old man allowed me to use the lane to access the barn and slab I work off of.These folks would accuse me of running over the roses they ran over.I never touched the ones behind my line and they all died within a year or two.
Back when they had trash service they`d get cut off and they`d just leave it all out there,no lids,Stacked high and falling over,bags on the ground for a month.I`d slip some over to my drive until it all magically disappeared(in thier eyes).of course animals would tear into it.
Then,they`d pile it on their illegal deck and animals would tear into it.She`d accuse my dog who is either on a 70' runner with 16' lead or loose while I`m with him.I suggested that perhaps the cats the other clan household allowed to breed freely,opossums,raccoons,crows,other stray dogs could be doing it.Do people build decks to keep bags of trash for weeks?How pleasant.

This sure has turned into a gripefest.Not my intention,so sorry.I could have posted something about them or her brother`s family every week since I`ve been on this site,but my probs are just that.
This is my happy place.
Next time he glares at you, blow him a kiss. I guarantee that will get his goat

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
Houston54

I have neighbors on one side that are less than desirable. Putting up beat up basketball goals, building crappy sheds without HOA permission, blowing their leaves onto others lawns, harley start ups at 4AM and harley tuning at 10PM. Petty shet really but to help block our visual view of their contributions to the neighborhood I planted a tall hedge along the fence bordering their driveway. Unfortunately these plants like to shed little seeds and flowers all during the summer.

It really makes a mess on cars and trucks. My driveway is on the other side of the property so it does not bother me.

If the main problem here is his driving over a small pile of rocks there by the lane why not put a larger pile of rocks there?

Last edited by Houston54; 04-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In my town, having a non-operable vehicle is taboo. My chassis/cab are in my driveway, in front of my garage (waiting for some serious cab surgery, soon). My neighbors on either side are both divorced women with boys. I drive a school bus and we all get along. It's all good for me.

I sympathize with you and your situation. It's amazing that there are so many ignorant folks who believe they're right about everything and you are always wrong. I'm smart enough to know that I'm out of shape and should not go around trying to take someone out. However, that doesn't stop me from threatening some schoolboy on my bus, ala Roy D. Mercer.....as in, "If you don't sit down and leave him/her/that alone, I"m gonna put a knot on your head big enough for 3 zip codes.". It's a good thing they're only in the 6th and 7th grades. Seniors could whoop me....

I'd be tempted to re-create that corner with something that was permanent. When I was on the island of Taiwan, detached homes would be "fenced" with concrete walls that had broken bottles embedded in the top of the fence (in concrete). That was something they learned from the Portuguese. In your situation, I'd form and pour some decorative corners that were high enough to do some damage to a vehicle that got too close. The broken glass? That could be a liabilty, so don't do it. But a metallic item that could slash a tire? If it was curbed, it would just be a hazard from inattentive driving.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote