The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
70cst

Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy

MrBlue recently recently posted a question about how to deal with security issues when it comes to our trucks. As this is an important issue I thought I would post this info in a separate thread so others might benefit from this topic. MrBlue hope you don't mind tha offshoot from your post but you bring up an issue that comes up now and then and I thought this might get a little more exposure and help more people out.
This has been discussed at various times and I agree it is a very important issues for our trucks and our peace of mind. I have went back and searched for posts on this issue and for your review (at no charge )I have listed various threads that deal with the "Kill Switch" and " Security" questons. You will see repeated ideas but also new ideas. I hope this helps. My gift to you...As a matter of fact here is a cup of coffee from me...enjoy.

Easy no-hack hidden kill switch
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330972

What is the best THeft Deturent?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2711638

Anti-theft methods???
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318678

'cigar lighter' kill switch?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-274669.html

Suggestions on a kill switch set-up?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-309853.html

Need A Kill Switch Wiring Schematic
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=105722

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 09-24-2009 at 08:42 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Re: Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy

great bunch of info there.

the only problem i have is, any of us could bypass all this stuff with a screw driver and a wire with clips on both ends. clip to battery, then the to power side of hei, jump starter with screwdrive......perhaps some sort of hoodlock would go a long way
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
great bunch of info there.

the only problem i have is, any of us could bypass all this stuff with a screw driver and a wire with clips on both ends. clip to battery, then the to power side of hei, jump starter with screwdrive......perhaps some sort of hoodlock would go a long way
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

Good point mtdave2...
I am using the above along with the Club...I am also strongly leaning toward getting the "Lojack" . Hopefully this can become a sort of master thread on this topic.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

For what it's worth I have Lojack with the Early Warning Recovery System. In the event of a theft you will be notified directly via phone, email, and/or pager if your car is moved without your authorization so you can quickly check on your vehicle. If a theft has occured, the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System enables police to track and return your vehicle sooner. Lastly, sad to say it but when I drive my Chevelle (truck not finished yet), I don't drive it anywhere I have to get out of it and leave it and can't see it. Such as the shopping mall, grocery store, movies, etc. When I'm driving it, I cruise and stand somewhere near it and don't go too far like if I'm at the park, car show, etc.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Indyuke

I've been wrestling with the same point mtdave has made. What we need is one simple solution that NOBODY has EVER thought of and that NOBODY ever will, then we'd be golden.

right...
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
For what it's worth I have Lojack with the Early Warning Recovery System. In the event of a theft you will be notified directly via phone, email, and/or pager if your car is moved without your authorization so you can quickly check on your vehicle. If a theft has occured, the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System enables police to track and return your vehicle sooner. Lastly, sad to say it but when I drive my Chevelle (truck not finished yet), I don't drive it anywhere I have to get out of it and leave it and can't see it. Such as the shopping mall, grocery store, movies, etc. When I'm driving it, I cruise and stand somewhere near it and don't go too far like if I'm at the park, car show, etc.
I never leave my Camaro alone. Makes me too damn nervous. I end up just attending car shows where I can camp put next to it all day.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Thanks 70CST for gathering all of that information into a single post. Everybody can be informed of all of the different options, and use their own judgement from there.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
72Subby

I'd like to give a shout out to a product I used before and had a good experience with:

http://www.cardefender.com
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks for the links...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
100mph

I went with the Grant anti theft system. Well I will be... painted it black but haven't installed it yet.

I figured with no steering wheel they might get it started but its not going too far and if heck if they're going to drag/tow it away not much more than lojack is going to help you.

Not sure how I'll feel about carrying around my steering wheel but we'll see how it goes

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b.../?autoview=SKU

Last edited by 100mph; 09-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.
100mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
Thanks 70CST for gathering all of that information into a single post. Everybody can be informed of all of the different options, and use their own judgement from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Thanks for the links...
Hey...I try and do one good deed a month. But really...you all get the thanks because w/o your input we wouldn't have these links to draw from. Thats what is great about this site...we all learn from each other.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
rlm316

Some type of parking boot might be a good addition to the kill switch.
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
coopdeville

if they want it bad enough they will get it no matter how mugh stuff you have!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Mondo

I want a tiny LED flashing light on the dash that goes off when the truck's running and on when its turned off (I have this in my G35 coupe). That way they'll hesitate a little anyway.

Plus the kill switch.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #15
hotrod100

I haven't read through all of the posts here so if this has been mentioned before I'm sorry. On my truck i have a hidden toggle switch that is grounded on one side and tied into the tach signal wire from the HEI on the other. When the switch is turned on it grounds out the circuit and prevents the coil from getting a pulse. No pulse equals no spark so even if the thief runs a power wire from the battery to the HEI it still wont start. This will work equally well with an external coil. Just hook the wire to the negative side of the coil.
hotrod100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod100 View Post
I haven't read through all of the posts here so if this has been mentioned before I'm sorry. On my truck i have a hidden toggle switch that is grounded on one side and tied into the tach signal wire from the HEI on the other. When the switch is turned on it grounds out the circuit and prevents the coil from getting a pulse. No pulse equals no spark so even if the thief runs a power wire from the battery to the HEI it still wont start. This will work equally well with an external coil. Just hook the wire to the negative side of the coil.
Thanks hotrod100...sounds like a another good idea.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
I want a tiny LED flashing light on the dash that goes off when the truck's running and on when its turned off (I have this in my G35 coupe). That way they'll hesitate a little anyway.

Plus the kill switch.
Here's a post on how to do the LED setup.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=141268
Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
68monster

great post. thanks!
68monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Subscribed.

Another member in these forums was able to recover his stolen truck because it had a trace or tracking chip or something.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #20
Myoldtruck

The old way was to install a second high low beam switch on the floor and tie that into the ignition, or the two purple wires under the colum for the neutral safety switch. That being said this will only stop another honest person or some dumb kid.

The correct way is only to track down your truck once its gone. Mount a water proof box under the truck with a motor cycle battery, gps locater service and a standard car alarm. Gps will get you within 10-40ft of the truck, the car alarm will get you to the truck once the gps stops. You need to wire that battery with a one way charging loop, so it will charge off the cars system and will not back feed into the cars system when they disconnect the cars main battery.

I grew up in Philadelphia. Its take it or break it. You cant own anything real nice and drive it as a normal car.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
WB72
Before and After

Thanks for gathering this up for us.

One of the best deterrents is a 3 on the tree. Millennials will have no idea on how the drive one.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy

My transmission kill is one I like the best. They may get the motor to run but they want ever get the truck out of park.
It sit's to low to get to the transmission without a jack. It would take the right person to know which wire on the electric 4L80E transmission to straight wire to get it out of park.

They could drag it I guess but then what is the point.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Talked to a guy at a cruise in a couple of weeks ago. He had a unit smaller than a pack of smokes. He took it out of the toolbox on his truck to show me and laid it on the rad support. About 2 min later he got an alert on his phone telling him "the Asset has been moved". He put it under the front seat and got another alert. He also showed me where the GPS in the unit mapped the trucks activity over a couple of days (he said it will hold quite a bit of time if he doesn't delete.) It also has a sensitivity adjustment so that if you have it on your boat and it's moored to a dock and moving around a bit, it doesn't constantly signal. He put it back in the toolbox and it alerted again. The packaging claims it needs line of sight to get a satellite signal but he claimed he's never not gotten one with it in the TB or under the seat. Costs about $100 at REI or Amazon and needs a subscription to work, about $10 a month. Just another arrow in the security quiver. BTW When I asked he said, If someone takes your truck, the system will tell you where they take it. Then you just call 911 and tell them your truck has been stolen and the address and that you are going to go get it. He said he also gives them his name and the number from his CPP. He hasn't had to use it yet but I doubt he will be alone when he picks up his truck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #24
Deej-79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Talked to a guy at a cruise in a couple of weeks ago. He had a unit smaller than a pack of smokes. He took it out of the toolbox on his truck to show me and laid it on the rad support. About 2 min later he got an alert on his phone telling him "the Asset has been moved". He put it under the front seat and got another alert. He also showed me where the GPS in the unit mapped the trucks activity over a couple of days (he said it will hold quite a bit of time if he doesn't delete.) It also has a sensitivity adjustment so that if you have it on your boat and it's moored to a dock and moving around a bit, it doesn't constantly signal. He put it back in the toolbox and it alerted again. The packaging claims it needs line of sight to get a satellite signal but he claimed he's never not gotten one with it in the TB or under the seat. Costs about $100 at REI or Amazon and needs a subscription to work, about $10 a month. Just another arrow in the security quiver. BTW When I asked he said, If someone takes your truck, the system will tell you where they take it. Then you just call 911 and tell them your truck has been stolen and the address and that you are going to go get it. He said he also gives them his name and the number from his CPP. He hasn't had to use it yet but I doubt he will be alone when he picks up his truck.
Be careful with that last bit. When my motorcycle was stolen I was informed by the police that if I tracked it down it was a crime for me to recover it without a policeman there. Just an fyi for everyone, your state may vary.

A similar system can be made with an old cell phone, and a very basic cell phone plan. As long as the phone is charged, it can be tracked using its gps.
Deej-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #25
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

In addition to a kill switch, I put a quarter-turn ball valve in my fuel line.

If you defeat the kill switch, the truck will still start with the fuel in the carb bowl, but it will only go about a quarter mile before running out of fuel. If you just stole it, you now have to try and diagnose why the truck won't run anymore...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote