The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

TECH TIP - Removing Rock Hard Door Glass Rubber Made Easy (er)

Apologies in advance for the length of this:
I don't know if any of you are doing this yet but maybe it will help someone later. I got into my passenger door because the glass metal frame separated from the horizontal bar the glass sets in. There are apparently some special fasteners for the connection between the two but mine are long gone. I'm going to try Chevs, Carter's, Bowtie Bits, etc. Found them for the 47+ trucks, don't know if the same will work.

Anyway, "while I was in there"I thought I may as well clean up the door interior and put in new rubber, window channel, glass wiper rubber, etc. In case you didn't know there is a tiny slot all along the bottom of the window opening on the door and a matching one in the door panel. THe glass wiper rubber is "d" shaped and slides in using 50-50 mix of glycerine & water (I'm told, haven't done it yet). Over the decades these wipers start to chip off. My truck had the 64 year old originals! and to say they were in there to stay is an understatement. After struggling with a putty knife and hammer on one side I noticed my drywall hole saw.

Worked like a charm! Not exactly an "easy" job, but in comparison to the putty knife - a snap. These drywall tools are a $5-6 item at Home Cheapo. I keep one in my travel tool box because I have already used it to save a JetSki guy that sucked up his anchor rope into his impeller.

But I digress - near the end of this job I figured out if I flipped the saw over it is pointed and works great to get the small remnants out. Hope this helps someone else.

P.S, Pardon the photo quality. They're from my cell phone, all I had with me at the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-24-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: TECH TIP - Removing Rock Hard Door Glass Rubber Made Easy (er)

Incidentally, this is how it looked "Before". Those nubs of the remaining window scraper are so hard you could cut your fingers on it.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Re: TECH TIP - Removing Rock Hard Door Glass Rubber Made Easy (er)

Oops!

Here it is:
Attached Images