The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
bigdnew
Never Satisfied
 
bigdnew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 365
Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Curently in the middle of a gen 3 swap and i need some wiring advice. Purchased the pollack switching valve and the oem dash selector switch. the switching valve came with a six terminal toggle switch but the oem only has four terminals. does anyone know what four wires go to the the four terminals on the dash switch?
__________________
1973 4x4 Blazer- Parting Out
1986 LWB Silverado Undergoing LQ4/4L80E Swap

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10
 
glock35ipsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Collins, Colo 80524
Posts: 6,676
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Did you look at the link I posted for you? There are two diagrams in that post. One shows the wiring to the switch. They should be power, ground, left and right. The other shows the wiring to the valve, then to the pumps and sending units (for the gauge).
__________________
Bob

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1969 Chevy C20 LWB 396/TH400 - My son's Project "Uncle John" Thread
1951 Ford F1 Future project

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 04-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
bigdnew
Never Satisfied
 
bigdnew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 365
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

yeah just still a little bit confused. the pollack valve has a wiring diagram but it shows how to wire the six terminal switch. i was wondering how to change that around so i can use the oem switch. it looks like the lead coming from the new wiring harness for the pumps goes straight to the switching valve and then i will have to have another hot wire for the oem dash switch as well. just want to make sure when i start building this harnes i get it right.
__________________
1973 4x4 Blazer- Parting Out
1986 LWB Silverado Undergoing LQ4/4L80E Swap

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566

Last edited by bigdnew; 04-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10
 
glock35ipsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Collins, Colo 80524
Posts: 6,676
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnew View Post
yeah just still a little bit confused. the pollack valve has a wiring diagram but it shows how to wire the six terminal switch. i was wondering how to change that around so i can use the oem switch. it looks like the lead coming from the new wiring harness for the pumps goes straight to the switching valve and then i will have to have another hot wire for the oem dash switch as well. just want to make sure when i start building this harnes i get it right.
Do you have a way to scan and post their instructions? I threw mine away.
__________________
Bob

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1969 Chevy C20 LWB 396/TH400 - My son's Project "Uncle John" Thread
1951 Ford F1 Future project

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
87chevy.com
Registered User
 
87chevy.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 626
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

ive been wanting to replace my bad valve.. i noticed it when bad when it took 1/2 tank for 40 miles and I thought i smelt gas... just poured the gas out the other side (no tank installed)

heres a link to the instructions on their site... that connector l ooks identical to the OE gm one....

http://pollak.thomasnet.com/Asset/IS-41_b.pdf

It looks like they just use a cheezy autozone like toggle switch. The connector sure does look like the GM. I will loook at the facotry diagram and compare it to theirs...
__________________
1987 5.3 w/4l60e Silverado - daily driver with A/C,P/W,P/L,TILT, HID projectors & C-5 Corvette Rear Disc Brakes
1999 BMW 528i 5.7l LS1 w/ 4l60e, Ford 8.8 IRS w31 spline posi, FX-r projector retrofit
A poor man buy's it twice

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 04-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
bigdnew
Never Satisfied
 
bigdnew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 365
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

thanks man, hey bob there you go.
__________________
1973 4x4 Blazer- Parting Out
1986 LWB Silverado Undergoing LQ4/4L80E Swap

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566

Last edited by bigdnew; 04-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10
 
glock35ipsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Collins, Colo 80524
Posts: 6,676
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

It appears to be wired the same as the factory switch. I'll compare the two tomorrow when I get back to the office, but you should be able to wire them the same.

I'll let you know tomorrow.
__________________
Bob

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1969 Chevy C20 LWB 396/TH400 - My son's Project "Uncle John" Thread
1951 Ford F1 Future project

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Desert1957
Senior Member
 
Desert1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Freedom Pa.
Posts: 842
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnew View Post
Curently in the middle of a gen 3 swap and i need some wiring advice. Purchased the pollack switching valve and the oem dash selector switch. the switching valve came with a six terminal toggle switch but the oem only has four terminals. does anyone know what four wires go to the the four terminals on the dash switch?




Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10
 
glock35ipsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Collins, Colo 80524
Posts: 6,676
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

OK, the Pollak's wiring diagram is basically identical to the OEM.

So, on the Pollak connector:

A: Right sending unit (OEM color: Pink/Black)
B: To fuel gauge (OEM color: Pink)
C: Left sending unit (OEM color: Pink/White)
D: Left pump 12V (OEM color: Tan)
E: Right pump 12v (OEM color: Gray)
F: Empty

At the OEM dash switch:

C: 12V from relay (OEM color: Tan/Black)
Opposite of C: Ground (OEM color: Black)
D: Left pump 12v (OEM color: Tan)
Opposite of D: Right pump 12v (OEM color: Gray)

Note that on terminals "D" and "E" that the wires (12v) will go directly from the switch to the valve. You will also need to tap a wire off of those to run to the pumps. The wires running from the switch have two functions: 1] is to power the pump, and 2] is to power the valve to make it switch to that tank/pump.

The OEM schematics for the switch only show terminals marked "C" and "D", and I can't find my drawing of the OEM switch, so just note above where I mention "opposite of xx" means directly across from that one.

The ONLY difference between the two drawings is the location of the power and ground on the toggle switch. If you are using the OEM switch, wire it like the above. If you are using the Pollak toggle switch, wire it like their diagram shows.
__________________
Bob

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1969 Chevy C20 LWB 396/TH400 - My son's Project "Uncle John" Thread
1951 Ford F1 Future project

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
bigdnew
Never Satisfied
 
bigdnew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 365
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

thanks guys for the help. so one more question. what is the difference between the '86 switch and '87, in regards to how it's wired to the switch. other than the obvious fuel pumps.
__________________
1973 4x4 Blazer- Parting Out
1986 LWB Silverado Undergoing LQ4/4L80E Swap

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
menace121978
Registered User
 
menace121978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: orangevale, ca
Posts: 3,627
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
OK, the Pollak's wiring diagram is basically identical to the OEM.

So, on the Pollak connector:

A: Right sending unit (OEM color: Pink/Black)
B: To fuel gauge (OEM color: Pink)
C: Left sending unit (OEM color: Pink/White)
D: Left pump 12V (OEM color: Tan)
E: Right pump 12v (OEM color: Gray)
F: Empty

At the OEM dash switch:

C: 12V from relay (OEM color: Tan/Black)
Opposite of C: Ground (OEM color: Black)
D: Left pump 12v (OEM color: Tan)
Opposite of D: Right pump 12v (OEM color: Gray)

Note that on terminals "D" and "E" that the wires (12v) will go directly from the switch to the valve. You will also need to tap a wire off of those to run to the pumps. The wires running from the switch have two functions: 1] is to power the pump, and 2] is to power the valve to make it switch to that tank/pump.

The OEM schematics for the switch only show terminals marked "C" and "D", and I can't find my drawing of the OEM switch, so just note above where I mention "opposite of xx" means directly across from that one.

The ONLY difference between the two drawings is the location of the power and ground on the toggle switch. If you are using the OEM switch, wire it like the above. If you are using the Pollak toggle switch, wire it like their diagram shows.
WOW! talk about lay-mens terms! even i understand it thanks Bob! just helped me out tremendously!
__________________
"Dennis the Menace"



1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
bigdnew
Never Satisfied
 
bigdnew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 365
Re: Fuel tank selector switch wiring

Scratch my last thought. So the wire coming from my new fuel pump relay goes straight to the dash switch and then to the switch, got it
__________________
1973 4x4 Blazer- Parting Out
1986 LWB Silverado Undergoing LQ4/4L80E Swap

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com