The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

e3 LevelPro + Big Red x4 ≈ 77 Air Square

You ever wonder how you got yourself much deeper in to a project than you initially anticipated? It usually starts with a simple idea and a very rational line of thinking. Somewhere along the way, the exponential growth formula takes affect and suddenly you realize things have spun out of control. The irony is that you are prone to rationalize each increase in your plan as logical additions.

Let me back up a step so I can put my comments in perspective. This all started with a simple idea. I had done an extensive upgrade to my air suspension which is documented in my article titled "DO NOT OPEN- Air Ride Technologies inside" LINK

I felt that the suspension was at its best, but the air supply was not maxed out. I wanted to add a second compressor to compliment the ViAir 400c that I was currently running. This would give me much faster fill times, and allow a margin of safety in the event that one compressor ever failed. That prompted a thread and ensuing discussion on the best way to run the wiring for two compressors "Dual Compressor Wiring " LINK

In that thread, I note that I became concerned about the heavy amp draw that two compressors would pull on start up. In my research I came across a post on the Ride Tech Forum. It was a quote by Britt answering a question about running dual compressors.

He stated "The (E3) LevelPro is designed to run two compressors (the secondary compressor turns on shortly after the primary to lower inrush current). So all you have to do is call the sales guys, purchase a harness, and plug it in."

That sounds simple enough, just call the Ride Tech sales guy, purchase a harness and plug it in. Of course to do that I would need an e3 system to plug it in to. I made a call to my buddy Tony and divulged my thoughts. He agreed that the Ride Pro e3 system would do exactly what I wanted and so much more.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: e3 Level Pro + Big Red x4 ≈ 77 Air Square

My Daddy used to tell me “ Son, don't let your alligator mouth out talk your tadpole butt.” After my conversation with Tony, those words of Southern wisdom came to mind. Since my first Ride Tech article had been a useful tool allowing him to use it as a reference to potential customers, it was decided I should write a follow up.

All I had to do was install the Ride Tech e3 Level Pro system on my 77 Cheyenne. I agreed to document the install and write an article as I progressed. The only catch to this plan is it will need to be done in time to be on display in the Ride Tech booth at the Goodguys show in Ft Worth. That gives me at least 10-12 weeks to get the job done.

It wasn't until I received the box full of goodies from Ride Tech that I started to worry. There was a LOT of stuff in that little brown box.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: e3 LevelPro + Big Red x4 ≈ 77 Air Square

I took some time to do something that I don't often do. I actually read the instructions that came with the e3 kit. Let me defend myself by saying that the LevelPro kit is not specific to any application, so it required some consideration as to where I should begin. My time was spent analyzing the wiring diagram found on the last page of the "Operation Manual"

My first thought was to find a location for the e3 ECU and start routing the wires out from there. I did determine that even though the ECU is waterproof and can be mounted anywhere under the truck, I wanted to locate it inside the cab.

Because all of the harness assemblies are manufactured with weather tight connectors at each end, I felt that I should determine the location of the ride height sensors and work in from there. This will allow me to store any excess length of harness on a mounting panel that I plan to use.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The ride height sensors are comprised of two main components. The sensor body itself is designed so it can be rotated 180 degree. It has an actuater arm that can be "clocked" in four different positons to give you unlimited mounting possibilities.

The actuator arm does not have any mechanical stops, but it does have an electrical range of travel that must be limited to a 90 degree sweep. As a visual aid for photo purposes as well as help in determining the correct mounting position, I used a small amount of White Out to mark the range of travel indicators.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I started with the installation at the rear of the truck by jacking it up and securing it on jack stands. Once the wheels were pulled I looked at the options for locating the ride height sensors. There were plenty of obstacles in the area that seemed best suited for mounting, but I was able to find a spot in front of the Ride Tech bolt in C notch.

Be sure to check for access to the area from all sides of where you plan to bolt the sensor in. Verify that there are no fuel or brake lines routed in the area before you start drilling holes. I had to reposition some line clamps to prevent any potential clearance concerns

The manual suggest using self taping screws, but I opted to use bolts with locking nuts to eliminate any sharp points that might protrude through the frame.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Once you have the ride height sensor mounted you can plan the next step of the install. Each sensor will have an actuator linkage rod that will attach to a bracket mounted to the suspension itself. Since every application is different, the attachment location may vary. Having previously upgraded the rear suspension with a Ride Tech "AirBar" 4 link, I will need to fabricate mounting brackets that do not interfere with the horizontal bars travel.

To get a visual of the range of travel I temporarily attached the linkage rod with a wire tie to the bottom bar of the 4 link. This allowed me to have an assistant cycle the suspension while I moved the wire tie up and down the bar. This visual aid helped me determine that a bracket coming from under the lower link mounting plate will give me the correct degree of angle.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Moving to the front of the truck, I discovered what I had suspected. Finding a suitable location for the ride height sensor would prove to be difficult. Mounting the sensor was not a problem as there were several places it would physically fit. Determining the right one that would ensure the required actuator rod would be clear from all the moving suspension components was a challenge.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-28-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Most of the locations I had in mind would require fabricating a mounting bracket to ensure that the sensor was on a flat surface. I determined that the best area to work in was behind the suspension. After removing the shock to get a better view, I decided that the crossmember had an area that would work for my needs.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With some tweaking of the actuator arm, once again I used the high tech method of utilizing a wire tie to secure it to determine the correct position for the ride height sensor sweep. Be sure to remove the arm from the sensor before applying any force to bend it to prevent damage to the sensor. I discovered that I could use a longer stud to mount the shock. This will allow me to fabricate a bracket that would mount on the end of the stud.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-28-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

While waiting for parts to arrive for the front suspension, I decided to move back to the rear. The ride height sensors were previously mounted, so this left me with the task of locating the bottom of the actuator rod. By doing some visual testing, I was able to determine that the bottom 4 link bracket would be a good location to mount a bracket. This would require me to fabricate a bracket to fit my needs.

I decided I wanted to make this bracket as simple as possible utilizing basic tools that most home shops are equipped with. Even though I have a MIG welder, I felt with some in depth planning I could fabricate this with out the use of a welder.

My material stock of choice was 1-1/2x1-1/2x1/8" angle that was purchased at a local hardware store. Nothing special and easy to work with. I started by determining the length that was needed and made my first cut using a jig-saw with a bi-metal blade.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-02-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I drilled a 5/8" hole so a bolt from the 4-link bracket could be used to hold this in place. From there I found the center of the actuator rod end link, marked and drilled a hole for it.

Once my holes were drilled, it was time to clean things up by removing excess material. Angle cuts were made along both sides leaving ample metal to keep the bracket ridged.

After the cuts were made the edges were dressed with a small grinder. I checked for fit again, then finished the process with a clean up pass on a belt sander. I topped the finished piece off with a few coats of my favorite brand of satin black and let it dry.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After the paint was cured, I bolted the brackets up tight. I mounted one actuator rod end on the bracket I just finished. The other rod end was bolted to the ride height sensor. I cut a length of rod to start the dial in procedure. I felt this would take some adjusting to get it correct, and I was right.

With the length of rod in place, I was able to determine that I might have to move the ride height sensor arm to another position. This adjustment will be made when I have an assistant available to help my cycle the suspension while I watch the travel.

In the meantime take a look at how the assembly looks. It has plenty of room to clear all of the nearby suspension components, and still travel with a full range of articulation.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Now that the mechanical portion of the rear is completed, I plan to accomplish the same goal on the front before wiring the system. While evaluating what needs to be done, I decided that this was the perfect time to replace the front shocks since the old ones were no longer performing to the level of the upgrades installed.

This prompted a call to Tony at Ride Tech to get his advice. He suggested I go with a set of the single action adjustable billet shocks from Ride Tech. We took the required measurements, and a set was ordered. A few days later I had a small box of parts arrive with a pair of billet shocks inside.

I can honestly say I have never looked at a shock absorber and thought that it was attractive, until now. The Ride Tech billet shock is a work of art on the outside, but all business inside.

According to the spec sheet, these shocks use “Deflective Disk Valving” in the pistons to eliminate spring fatigue. They have piston rods made from 5/8” centerless ground hard chrome steel for wear resistance and long service life. They are also rebuildable in the event they get bent or damaged.

One of the best features of the shock is they are manufactured in America.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

As we all know, there never seems to be an upgrade to our trucks that doesn't require some type of modification to fit. I ordered the shocks with a 5/8" eye on the bottom as I had plans to combine the lower mounting point of the shock with actuator rod end for the ride height sensor.

My package from Ride Tech included the required spacer for the 1/2" upper shock mount stud, but no provisions for the bottom. Since the shock has a floating ball and socket for the mounting stud, it requires spacers to prevent binding and allow the shock to articulate freely.

I could have called Tony for the correct size spacers, but I decided to improvise. I would need to stack several spacers or make them various lengths to fit the application. I felt the cleanest look would be accomplished if I made the spacers myself.

I used a scrap piece of black pipe, along with new bolts and nuts.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Once again, I was determined to create the parts I needed using simple tools and materials commonly available in the home shop. It would have been easy to have these parts machined, but I can't do that in my garage.

I found dead center on the 5/8" bolt and drilled a pilot hole checking the depth along the way to ensure that I drilled no more than what was necessary. When I reached the correct depth, I enlarged the hole and tapped it for the 1/4-20 bolt.

The black pipe is fairly soft, so it was easy enough to drill the center bore clean with a 5/8" drill bit. Once that was opened up to the correct size, I cut sections in the various lengths needed to space the shock properly on the mounting studs. The bushing were then radiused and cleaned with a belt sander.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With all the pieces fine tuned, it was time to bolt the shocks in place. Although the shock upgrade was not a necessity, it will be a worth while improvement once the settings are dialed in to fit my style of driving.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I tend to be a visual kind of guy. I am able to visualize things in my mind, but I need to see the end result to ensure my idea is truly functional. To do this I decided I needed to build a tool to mock up the actuator rod for the ride height sensor.

I dropped by the local hardware store and picked up a piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod, and a pack of couplers. I cut two short lengths of the rod and locked it in the coupler with a jamb nut. This was inserted in the rod ends. I cut another length of threaded rod and placed that between the two rod ends.

This tool allowed me to dial in the correct length by cycling the suspension. I could easily screw the rod in or out adjusting the length until I was confident that I was close enough to cut the supplied actuator rod.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-30-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the tool installed, I cycled the suspension with a floor jack. This allowed me to determine that the actuator arm on the ride height sensor needed to be adjusted. Once the angle of the arm was fine tuned, the assembly moved freely through out its range of travel.

I removed the tool and copied it to a fixed length of rod. When the system is tested, I will add locking nuts and shrink tube the actuator rods together.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the front done, I moved to the rear once again. I used the same process to get the proper length of the actuator rods. It may require some fine tuning to get the system dialed in, but for now I can call it good and move on to the wiring process.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Once again I considered my options for mounting the E3 ECU. It can be mounted outside the cab, but I felt it would be cleaner to route the wires inside. To gain access to the area I intend to install the E3 ECU, I removed the seat. With the seat out of the way, the current systems controls are reveled. The five switches, and required relays required a lot of wires. This will be removed once the E3 controls are active.

I used a scrap piece 3/8 plywood for a base. This will allow me to make changes as the install dictates. Once completed I will transfer everything to a fresh piece that I plan to cover for a clean look.

Most of the harness provided has large weather-tite connectors, so I was left with making a decision on how to get them out of the cab. I could try to remove the pins from the connectors, or cut and splice all of the wires, or drill a hole large enough to allow the biggest connector to pass through. As much as I hate cutting large holes in my cab, I decided this was the best way to go.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I mounted the ECU and feed all the cables through the hole. I carefully sorted each wire and connected it to the proper terminal on the ECU. I took the time to secure the cables as they exited the ECU to prevent undue strain on the terminals.

With all the wires running out of the cab, the process of routing them to each corners sensor will be my next objective.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the amount of wires the E3 system requires, I recommend you lay everything out and become familiar with exactly where each harness will be going. Spend some time now mapping out the routing in your head, as it will save a lot of frustration once you start running it. It's a good idea to compare your lay out with the wiring diagram that Ride Tech supplies.

If you want your install to look nice and be protected from potential road hazards, you will need some additional supplies. I picked up supply of zip ties, and these neat line clamps. They come in various sizes, so don't be afraid to order extra.

Most of the wires supplied with the E3 kit has factory ends. I had already determined I would have to modify some of them to fit my needs. With that in mind, I also bought some assorted packs of wire loom, and a multi-pak of heat shrink tubing.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Since my system had been previously modified to accommodate my application, I realized I would have to make some changes to the supplied wiring harness. I wanted to use the existing connectors on the valves, so I could remove the valve assembly as a unit. This would allow me to stagger the connection points so they will lay out better once installed.

To do this I would need to make a short harness extension with the correct connectors to match. I purchased the supplies needed from a local electronic store, and took measurements to determine how long the jumper needed to be. I cut a section of the factory harness, because it had the wire colors I needed along with the correct loom. I spent quit of a bit of time laying this out and building it to factory quality, but I feel it will be worth it.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Every install will be unique to the vehicle, so I will spare the specific details of routing the wires under the truck. I will caution that you should be certain that you have all the wires routed safely away from heat sources, road hazard potential, and source of abrasion. Once you have all the wires routed properly, protect them with wire loom and add zip ties where required.

With most of the wiring wrapped up, it was time to change out the pressure sensors. The E3 kit comes with five new sensors that have weather tight plugs on them. I started with the pressure sensor located on the air tank.

Ride Tech instructions recommend using Teflon Tape to ensure an air tight seal. Remove the old sensor, and carefully tighten the new one. The sensors have small brass fitting, so use caution not to over tighten them.

The same process was used on the valve assembly. I removed them from under the truck to prevent any mishaps while making the swap. Once on the ground, it was much simpler to remove the old sensors and install the new ones. All of the threads were treated with sealant and gently tightened down.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the valves installed and all of the related connectors plugged in tightly it was time to route the compressor harness. I picked up a fresh supply of connectors to fit the gauge of wire I would be running. I highly recommend spending the money to buy quality brand of connectors.

If your current system is installed with manual controls, the compressor is probably grounded to the frame and a relay is incorporated to switch the +12v source on with the ignition. You should note that the E3 system uses internal switching to break the ground going to the compressor, and the +12v supply is always hot. Consequently you should remove the frame ground or the compressor will not turn off.

The E3 ECE is capable of running two compressor if you choose. I plan to add a second compressor at a later date so the wiring for the second pump was routed along with the primary pump wire.

I'm not a big fan of split wire loom, but this was the best way to protect the large quantity of wires required. Once the turn on wires were properly routed, I installed wire loom. I neatly tucked the harness away from potential harm, and zip tied the bundle securely.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-27-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Closed Thread