The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
brap999

New harmonic balancer, timing mark wrong - '63 Chevy 230

Hello all,

I replaced my original harmonic balancer on my '63 230 because I suspected the rubber connecting the inner harmonic balancer to the outer pulley was rotted and had caused the balancer to spin, causing the timing mark to be off. I had read this happened to others. Upon closer inspection the rubber was badly rotted, cracked and dried out.

When I used a timing gun on the original balancer, I couldn't get it to appear in the right spot next to the advance marks on the motor, however, I was able to find it on the passenger side of the motor at nearly 90 degrees advanced shown on the timing gun. Something was clearly wrong.

I ordered a new balancer from Damper Doctor, and after installing it, it appears the timing mark is still way off. I can't get the timing mark to appear in the right location until 70 degrees advanced on the timing gun.

I was going off the #1 spark plug wire, fyi.

I suspect that the new balancer was not assembled correctly, and the timing mark is still off. Quality wise the rebuilt balancer looks great. However, since the balancer can only be installed one way (because of the keyway on the crank), I can't imagine I could have installed it 'wrong'.

The truck runs great, I've set the timing the old fashioned way, by sound and feel, but I'd like to get the timing perfect with my timing gun.

Any suggestions? Ideas whats going on? Am I just going crazy?
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
D13

Re: New harmonic balancer, timing mark wrong - '63 Chevy 230

You probably have the 'wrong' balancer. You have a late model set up for a timing probe, the timing tab shifted at some point in the L6's life IIRC.

Two options, call Damper Doctor and see if you can get the 'correct' one, swap them. Second, and more quick and fun, find TDC using a stop thru the plug hole, scribe a mark on the balancer at '0' on the timing tab. Then you know it's right. At the same time you can mark the inner to outer ring so you can check for slippage in 100,000 miles or so.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Unless you are a stickler for having the exact balancer you can make a mark with a perm marker, scribe or a timing tape on yours as D13 mentioned.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8985/?rtype=10
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
brap999

Thanks for the responses. I definitely don't want to have to replace the balancer again, and the new one I have is in perfect shape, except that timing mark is off.

So I think I'll just go with your suggestions, and find TDC of the #1 cylinder, and then place a mark in the appropriate spot on the balancer.

Also, placing a mark to check for balancer slippage in the futre is a good idea, and something I didn't think of.

Thanks!
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
cdowns

a custom pointer can b made in a short period of time with some imagination and fabrication skill
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote