The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
csa daddy

6lug rear to 5 lug rear

ok i got a 64 fleetside with the 6 lug rear still in it can i just pull axle shafts from a newer 12 bolt or what do i need to do. or should i just put new mounts on a newer 12 bolt an install it under the truck
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Re: 6lug rear to 5 lug rear

I don't know about using axles from a newer rearend but you can purchase new axles in 5x5" that are direct replacements
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
64shortc10

63 & 64 are odd ball rearends they have like 17 or 19 spline axles. Where the 65 to 70 rearends have 31 spine axles. So when I ordered my new 5 lug axles from early classic enterprises they wouldn't work. So I used my old 65 suburbans rear end. But found out CPP offered a complete kit to change over including spider gears for the 64 reared. Just my $.02 on what I incountered! My opinion stay with 6 lug there's way more wheel choices!
Tony from Norcal
Posted via Mobile Device
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The 12 bolts that have the 5x5 wheel bolt pattern are 1-1/2" wider over all than your '64 12 bolt. So no, you can't just switch the axles. As 64shortc10 said, one way is to change the side spider gears, and purchase a set of aftermarket 5x5 axles. Another option is to have your original axles filled and redrilled to 5x5. But be absolutely certain that your original axles are good at the wheel bearing surface before investing money on the having the bolt pattern changed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Just what captain said

Here is a link

http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/shop-services/

$85 per axle. I have yet to do this myself, bur most people seem to be happy from what I have read on the forums
Old 04-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
Dino Driver

Thanks for bringing this up. I have the same situation...in a way. I have 1960 that I'm putting a 1964 frame under. I did not know about the issues with 63 & 64 axles but I had planned to replace all of the guts and axles anyway. I do know that if you go to the 5x5 axles you will be shopping car rims and if you stay with the 6 lug you will be shopping truck rims.
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Driver View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. I have the same situation...in a way. I have 1960 that I'm putting a 1964 frame under. I did not know about the issues with 63 & 64 axles but I had planned to replace all of the guts and axles anyway. I do know that if you go to the 5x5 axles you will be shopping car rims and if you stay with the 6 lug you will be shopping truck rims.
Not really... When Chevy went to disc brakes on 2wd trucks in the early 70's the bolt circle changed from 6 lug to 5x5". It stayed this way until at least 1999. So while 5x5" was used on large full sized GM cars it is probably more closely associated with trucks. The choices in wheels should be considerable.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
csa daddy

thanks so i guess the best thing would be to take the 79 axle an put perch mounts on to mount it under the 64.captain fab will be 3/4' longer on each side this shouldn't be any problem should it
Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Dino Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Not really... When Chevy went to disc brakes on 2wd trucks in the early 70's the bolt circle changed from 6 lug to 5x5". It stayed this way until at least 1999. So while 5x5" was used on large full sized GM cars it is probably more closely associated with trucks. The choices in wheels should be considerable.
I thought I had done enough homework. I have gone to several tire shops and they all told me the same thing. So I guess if you find something you like then take your desired offset and rim size and see if they can supply it.
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
kieth

I used a 91 burb 5x5 front disc crossmember, to save money I had the rear hubs drilled for 5x5 lug pattern, had to use a repair bearing on the axle hubs NAPA $40.00, it worked out fine but I wish now that I had left it 6 lug.....but it would have cost a lot more to go that way.......Kieth If u would like to see pictures go to www.kieth.smugmug.com look for thr 66 gmc gallery u can see the whole process there.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
jchav62
1962 C-10

In my '62 I'm running a 71-72 rearend. On 60-62's the trailing arm saddles are a little wider than 63-66 and need to be relocated. I believe that a 71-72 rearend will bolt into a 63-66. If you can locate one it would be your best bet... JC62
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 Duramax/Allison
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
csa daddy

ok so if i redrill the axles do i use the stock backing lates with just the newer 5 lug drum outer
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes. If you re-drill the axles you will then use a drum for a '71 to about '74 C10. Or you could upgrade to the wider drums and shoes which started in about '75. But to do that you would need to change the backing plates also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa daddy View Post
ok so if i redrill the axles do i use the stock backing lates with just the newer 5 lug drum outer
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
csa daddy

ok thanks i kinda figured as much but wanted somebody to verify that. also when i pull axles i can i tell if shafts have worn to bad for the bearings
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you will be able to see if the axles are worn in the wheel bearing area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa daddy View Post
ok thanks i kinda figured as much but wanted somebody to verify that. also when i pull axles i can i tell if shafts have worn to bad for the bearings
Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
csa daddy

no specfic measurements
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

if I remember correctly, the axle surface serves as the inner race for the bearing rollers to run on. what you look for (and most likely will find) is pitting or roughness. Special sleeve/bearing kits are available to fix. I got mine from my local parts store but I'm sure NAPA and others can get them.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 04-27-2011 at 07:34 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
COOTERUSN

Question Re: 6lug rear to 5 lug rear

New to this forum, but reading comments with interest.

Have a '68 with stock 12 bolt rear. Put power disc kit on front changing to 5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern to use a set of American Racing wheels and tires I took off my '63 Impala and gain power brakes in the process. Time to do the rear now. Intend to order new axles from Mxxxx correct to stock length and new bolt pattern. Anyone know why this would not work?

Last issue is...looking for a set of 11" x 2" , 5 x 4 3/4 rear brake drums with 3 1/2 inch hole in center same as original 6 lug drums. Or, axle supplier can make axle to fit new drums.

Does anyone know of such a brake drum or must we make axle fit whatever I can find. Think early Impala would work except for center hole size???

Advice or comments appreciated. COOTERUSN
COOTERUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
csa daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOTERUSN View Post

Have a '68 with stock 12 bolt rear. Put power disc kit on front changing to 5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern to use a set of American Racing wheels and tires I took off my '63 Impala and gain power brakes in the process. Time to do the rear now. Intend to order new axles from Mxxxx correct to stock length and new bolt pattern. Anyone know why this would not work?

Last issue is...looking for a set of 11" x 2" , 5 x 4 3/4 rear brake drums with 3 1/2 inch hole in center same as original 6 lug drums. Or, axle supplier can make axle to fit new drums.

Does anyone know of such a brake drum or must we make axle fit whatever I can find. Think early Impala would work except for center hole size???

ceck out te moser link above an dro them a call the should be able to do what you want but you will have to find backing plates an drums or a disc conversion for the back.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
csa daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
if I remember correctly, the axle surface serves as the inner race for the bearing rollers to run on. what you look for (and most likely will find) is pitting or roughness. Special sleeve/bearing kits are available to fix. I got mine from my local parts store but I'm sure NAPA and others can get them.
thanks that is exactly what i needed to know
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you can order axles with what ever bolt pattern and hub register you want. It is possible that an early Impala drum will fit with the truck backing plate. I don't remember off hand if the brake offset is the same. Worst case, you could drill the 4.75 bolt pattern in a set of 11" x 2" truck drums in between the 5x5 holes. If your wheels won't fit the 3.5" hub register, you could have the axles made with a step in the hub register. Just enough of a 3.5 diameter to locate the drum, than stepped down to the 3.07" or so diameter to accomodate the wheels.

Quote:

Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
COOTERUSN

Red face Re: 6lug rear to 5 lug rear

Thanks for the response and advice Capt'fab.

Lets forget about the Impala drums for a moment. Can I simply have the 6 lug stock rear drums drilled to 5 x 4 3/4? Is this safe? Also, you said something about a stepped axle hub... I hadn't thought about this.

My Torque Thrust II wheels have a center hole measuring 2 7/8 inch. Are you saying we could have Moser make two axles: stock 30 1/2 inch, 5 x 4 3/4 3 1/2 stock hub stepping down to 2 7/8 to accommodate new wheels?
(Can you tell I'm learning as I go?)

I'm retired to the country and beginning to think I picked the wrong hobby...

COOTERUSN
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that sounds to me like it should work, having a short 3-1/2" diameter hub register just for the drum, and then the rest turnrd down to ~2-7/8". I would suggest calling Moser and see if they would be willing to do that. Drilling a 6 x 5-1/2" bolt pattern drum to a 5 x 4-3/4" pattern might work out. I do know that when re-drilling to the 5 x 5 pattern, one new hole is part way into one existing hole.

Quote:
Thanks for the response and advice Capt'fab.

Lets forget about the Impala drums for a moment. Can I simply have the 6 lug stock rear drums drilled to 5 x 4 3/4? Is this safe? Also, you said something about a stepped axle hub... I hadn't thought about this.

My Torque Thrust II wheels have a center hole measuring 2 7/8 inch. Are you saying we could have Moser make two axles: stock 30 1/2 inch, 5 x 4 3/4 3 1/2 stock hub stepping down to 2 7/8 to accommodate new wheels?
(Can you tell I'm learning as I go?)

I'm retired to the country and beginning to think I picked the wrong hobby...

COOTERUSN
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
COOTERUSN

Wink Re: 6lug rear to 5 lug rear

Captainfab,

Thank you very much for the advice. You have saved from ordering axles that would not work.

I will call Moser today and relay the requirements and then decide whether to go with Impala drums, assuming offset and backing plates work, or re-drill old 6 lug drums; but I do now know that the hub register must end up at 2 7/8 inches either way.

Measured the Impala rear drum hub hole this morning. Measures 2 3/4".
This makes since as the wheel hub hole measures 2 7/8"

Will keep you posted and send you a picture of truck when finished.
Hope all this will help someone else.

COOTERUSN
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
53lowdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yes that sounds to me like it should work, having a short 3-1/2" diameter hub register just for the drum, and then the rest turnrd down to ~2-7/8". I would suggest calling Moser and see if they would be willing to do that. Drilling a 6 x 5-1/2" bolt pattern drum to a 5 x 4-3/4" pattern might work out. I do know that when re-drilling to the 5 x 5 pattern, one new hole is part way into one existing hole.
My 6 lug axles were re-drilled with 5x4.75 bolt pattern. One of the studs is very close to one of the old 6 lug bolt holes. Works fine, but ideally you should probably weld that hole shut and it would be safer.
53lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote