The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
mahanian
C10 addict
 
mahanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,184
292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

I was wondering if anyone could help me decode my 292?

The casting is 3851659, which is a 1963-76 292
The Date Casting next to the starter is CON2 F206
The stamping next to the distributor is F1010UH

From the research I did, the F1010 stamping means Flint plant, October 10th, but I don't know what the UH means.

I'm not sure how to read the date code. Also, did GM stamp a partial VIN anywhere on an inline 6? If so, what year did they start doing that?

Thanks for the help
__________________
Jared

67 C10 CST Short Fleet Big Window
67 Camaro RS

Last edited by mahanian; 04-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.
mahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

 
ETsC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 4,769
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

ttt
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
mahanian
C10 addict
 
mahanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,184
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

Bump for the sunday crowd
mahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
bruceman1968
Senior Member
 
bruceman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,220
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

Jared, I think your date code is F206 (sorry I don't know what con2 is.)
meaning F=June, 20=Day, 6=Year.
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/tech/ve...2/default.aspx
on this website at the towards the bottom of the page, it says
T0205EG engines for models through 1969
V0525CNR engines for 1970-and-later models


your engine casting says the year is between 1963 to 1976 so that 6 could be 66 or 76. But the above website says 2 didgit suffix codes were 69 and earlier. So that would make your block a 1966.
The suffix code of UH I could only find in one place. Here.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/67-72_chevy.htm
And It only says UH=292 6cyl and that's on the 67=72 page. There should be more info on the UH code. Hopefully a guru will chime in.
__________________
CHEVY/GMC VIN DECODERS
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
mahanian
C10 addict
 
mahanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,184
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman1968 View Post
Jared, I think your date code is F206 (sorry I don't know what con2 is.)
meaning F=June, 20=Day, 6=Year.
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/tech/ve...2/default.aspx
on this website at the towards the bottom of the page, it says
T0205EG engines for models through 1969
V0525CNR engines for 1970-and-later models


your engine casting says the year is between 1963 to 1976 so that 6 could be 66 or 76. But the above website says 2 didgit suffix codes were 69 and earlier. So that would make your block a 1966.
The suffix code of UH I could only find in one place. Here.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/67-72_chevy.htm
And It only says UH=292 6cyl and that's on the 67=72 page. There should be more info on the UH code. Hopefully a guru will chime in.

Thanks for the info! Based on those sites it sounds like my engine is the original for the truck. The casting is June of 66 and the final config stamping is October of 66, which would be right for a 67 truck. The UH for 68 says 292 with manual, I'm guessing it probably means the same thing for 67, which is what my truck is. If I recall correctly they didn't start putting partial VIN's on the truck blocks till the early 70's, can anyone confirm that?
mahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
bruceman1968
Senior Member
 
bruceman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,220
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanian View Post
If I recall correctly they didn't start putting partial VIN's on the truck blocks till the early 70's, can anyone confirm that?

I can, There are no vin numbers on 67 chevy truck blocks, BUT!!! that engine code F1010UH will be on the protect o plate, if you have it.
__________________
CHEVY/GMC VIN DECODERS
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
mahanian
C10 addict
 
mahanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,184
Re: 292 Inline 6 Engine Decoding help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman1968 View Post
I can, There are no vin numbers on 67 chevy truck blocks, BUT!!! that engine code F1010UH will be on the protect o plate, if you have it.
Unfortunately the protect-o plate is long gone
mahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com