The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #226
Chad215

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

ohhhh I see it now- Thats going to look really good.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #227
flips72

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
You posted in my thread that you're doing some of your rust repairs. I'm surprised your A pillar, B pillar, and kick panels were ok enough to reuse. I had to cut everything out on mine. BTW when you get the the cab corner you might have some issues getting it to fit up right. I did my passenger side today and had to cut in a relief cut to bend the metal how I needed it to go.

Also on your outer rocker...be prepared to make some pie cuts to get it tighter to the pillars. I'm working on mine right now and it's gonna take me a few hours to get it fitting how I like it.
i noticed in allans build he cut his to get it to fit right as well, the rockers you can heat them and take a dull chisel and persuade them into place, thats what i had to do with mine, i cant get over the hood section being used as a filler, thats sweet
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #228
57truckguy

Sarge must be OTL.. LOL
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #229
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Well sarge I'm starting to see where you are going I was lost in the black forest for a while... Yes shorten it up and , probabaly by spliting down the middle removing equal amount from both halfs and at least spot weld it in place between the fenders and fab some filler pieces to concoure into the fenders... I lIke it ,, very orgainial.. Hey have you checked out the guy with the 55 who is using cantalevered arms with bags and sits that puppy on the ground .. Not something I would do , but very cool never the less.. He is in calif somewhere.. I'll see if I can find the link if you're interested ,, He has been on here or Alan's , that is how I stumbled into him..
If you are talking about chevyrestoguy with the 50s cab and what looks like a 60s bed, then yeah. I was just looking at his stuff a few minutes ago from a link you put in Alans thread.
I loved what he did with his front bumper!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
You posted in my thread that you're doing some of your rust repairs. I'm surprised your A pillar, B pillar, and kick panels were ok enough to reuse. I had to cut everything out on mine. BTW when you get the the cab corner you might have some issues getting it to fit up right. I did my passenger side today and had to cut in a relief cut to bend the metal how I needed it to go.

Also on your outer rocker...be prepared to make some pie cuts to get it tighter to the pillars. I'm working on mine right now and it's gonna take me a few hours to get it fitting how I like it.
So far the p-side pillars look Ok.... not great, but still solid and plenty of life still in them. My rear cab support on that side on the other hand will be a major target when I do the total frame off which I am projecting will be started about 10 years from now.
I read where you had to wrestle with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc View Post
looking nice man i like the idea you got going ive seen a 1961 hood like mine molded in down there
I would sure like to see some pics of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
ohhhh I see it now- Thats going to look really good.
Thanks Chad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i noticed in allans build he cut his to get it to fit right as well, the rockers you can heat them and take a dull chisel and persuade them into place, thats what i had to do with mine, i cant get over the hood section being used as a filler, thats sweet
Heh I was just skimming thru Alans build again yesterday looking for the stage when he did his Slick Sand in ref: to your build and saw when he had to hack up 2 of them to get his corner right.
I am going tohave to order the whole running board/outrigger for the d-side as you will see in the pics, it is totally ate up and not much good metal left to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Sarge must be OTL.. LOL
I didnt post this weekend cause I was not happy with the small amount of progress I made over the two days.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #230
McMurphy

The plan: get both sides of floor pans, rocker panels, and cab corners replaced.
The contingency: if I run into trouble then getting only one side totally done is acceptable amount of progress.
The reality: WHAT THE H&!! IS THIS, AND WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG ?!?!?!?

LOL

Hunkered down Saturday and tore into the p-side rocker panel. I have read all over this site that to do these replacements go from the inside and work your way out, so logically when getting the old stuff off I should get the rocker off and then mess with the floor pan.
Riiiiiiight.....

I remember commenting to the wife how it was times like this (as I was cutting spot welds) that I wish we had internet in the garage so I could look at other guys works and see where all the welds were (give or take). Whomever welded those rockers on was one sadistic bastard, thats all I am saying.
Then whomever filled it with household spray foam was just mean on top of it.

Pic #1 is the rocker peeled back to show it is solid foam in there, which by the way acted as a glue to the metal and made the seperation all that much more difficult. You will notice I gave up on all the welds on the leading end where the rubber plug goes and just cut that. I chisled it off later...

Pic #2 I wanted to install the entire floor pan, but after spending WAY too long trying to get the cab mounting bolt out I decided to cut the pan and only replace the truely bad areas.

Pic #3 cutting the floor pan gave me the materiel to fab a patch panel for my running board and I had this lovely one piece measured and cut to perfection, and then bent my body lines the wrong direction. so I had to cut it, and do a 2 stage patch.... which equalled even MORE time spent.

Pics #4 and #5 are where I was when I shut it down Sunday night. Next weekend will be the rocker and ~hopefully~ the cab corner too !!

Thanks for looking !
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #231
66ChevyMax

One more thing off the list. Looking good!
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #232
chad64chevy

you didnt post because of the amount of progress you made, lol!! the floor patching to did was more then what i did this weekend!! as so as i find the cable for my computer i'll post pictures of the heater part i got from you!! i think one of my kids got ahold of it i'm not sure, heck could be the wife too, lol!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #233
57truckguy

I was so impressed with the frame work I totally spaced the front. I,ll have to check it out.

You rocker rebuild appears to be coming along great. Keep up the good work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #234
flips72

i have heard of people using that great stuff for sound deadner before but thats the first time i have actually saw it, i bet that was hard to get off. floor looks really good, your doing a great job especially for -40 below weather.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #235
allaboutchevelles

The inner rocker/floor repair is looking good. Nice Job. You have more motivation than I do. I cant stand going down to my shop at night when its 35degrees outside and 45 in the shop. Even with the heater running everything still feels like ice cubes so I go back in the house and get on the comp and look at what everyone on here has been doing, LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #236
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Looks like some good progress. Remeber to fit your door before welding the outer rocker.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #237
daverod
SSN 706

Ya what he said.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #238
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax View Post
One more thing off the list. Looking good!
thank you ChevyMax... I been dreaming of building my shop back home here lately. Yours is one of the ones that I envy the most! Thanks for taking a look at my mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
you didnt post because of the amount of progress you made, lol!! the floor patching to did was more then what i did this weekend!! as so as i find the cable for my computer i'll post pictures of the heater part i got from you!! i think one of my kids got ahold of it i'm not sure, heck could be the wife too, lol!!
Hey progress is an accomplishment in itself I suppose. I have 2 more weekends before I start the 1985 Sierra tear down marathon. Hopefully I can get these two sides done by then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i have heard of people using that great stuff for sound deadner before but thats the first time i have actually saw it, i bet that was hard to get off. floor looks really good, your doing a great job especially for -40 below weather.
You know how when you step in really deep mud and it sucks your shoe off your foot? That was what it was like peeling that rocker away from all that foam! And talk about retaining water... that little plastic plug that goes in the front of the rocker still had water in/around it and this truck has been sitting inside the garage since the last week of September. I am lucky it did not rot all my metal away up in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
The inner rocker/floor repair is looking good. Nice Job. You have more motivation than I do. I cant stand going down to my shop at night when its 35degrees outside and 45 in the shop. Even with the heater running everything still feels like ice cubes so I go back in the house and get on the comp and look at what everyone on here has been doing, LOL
The garage is heated by the landlord and maintained at about 40*. The night before I go down to work I bump it up to 60*, and then my space heater will raise it to 70* and keep it there.
However, water will still freeze on the floor.... so needless to say I dont spend a lot of time lying on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Looks like some good progress. Remeber to fit your door before welding the outer rocker.
Thanks Alan, I really appreciate your coming to look at my build! Sooooo I guess get it to fit (crease my corners and all that) then tack or clamp one side of the rocker in, and then hang the door back up? Then tack the other side of the rocker up with the door there?

Should I have the doors hung when I do my cab corners too, or will that not matter with them where they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Ya what he said.
The voice of experience there Daverod? LOL

As always thank you all for the input, I really appreciate the help!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #239
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I use self tapping sheet metal screws to tack a panel in place.

It doesn't hurt to have your door on when doing the cab corners. If you run a straight edge down the rear pillar it will get you close. I always use the sheet metal for alignment. It takes the guess work out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #240
KroAutomotiveInc

hey man it took me a few days to remember where i seen that truck at but im pretty sure i seen it in the How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks and ive just read that a lot of those pictures where lost for some reason maybe someone eles seen it and has one of it it was a 1961 Chevy with the 1961 hood molded in where the bummer goes had a lame paint job lots of pin strips if i remember right anyone remember this truck?
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #241
KroAutomotiveInc

seems like it was maroon with gold was real mexican like
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #242
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I kind of remember seeing it somewhere on here too. Hopefully someone will remember where, too many threads...too little time to look through them all!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #243
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Found it!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295064

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #244
chad64chevy

i think the one your all talking about is on the bottom of post #36 of this link!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=402277&page=2
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #245
KroAutomotiveInc

yep thats the one
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #246
McMurphy

Thanks for the links guys!
People do some wicked badazz stuff with classics !!

In one of those links it shows the stepside bedside rail mod I want to do too with the rounded tube end at the tail gate.

Ahhhh to work on my truck the next 2 days; after I replace my d-side mirror on my 03 Sonoma....grrrrrr I got tail slapped on a 2 lane road by a school bus this morning, luckily he only got my mirror. I thought these guys had to know how to drive those things before they were allowed to pick up kids in them ?!?!?!? He was turning onto another 2 lane and his extended azzend came into my lane as I was going by.

Freekin side view mirror disentegrated.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #247
57truckguy

Hey I thought all the kids went to school on dog sled.. LLLLLoooooLLLLL
Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #248
flips72

even the dogs have more sense than to get out in forty below weather,think i will go build a fire now brrrrrrrrr
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #249
McMurphy

Well guys, we had dinner with friends on Saturday which limits my time in the garage, on top of the temps dipping down to -50*. So in short, I took this weekend off from the truck, first one so far since September when I got it.

So no updates and my rockers and cab corners are still waiting for me down there.

Visability right now is about 100 yards, and less at night. Oddly enough when it gets this cold there rolls in some ice fog, and it is a motherhumper to drive in.

This pic is the view out my front window, notice how you can barely make out the neighbors place across the street...
Hopefully this week I can get home early enough to do some stuff, but next weekend is for certain as it is my last weekend before the Sierra tear down marathon!

Thanks for looking !!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #250
chad64chevy

mcmurphy those pictures look great, the wife loves the snow but cant drive in it at all!! i hate the cold but can drive in any weather, lol!!