The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
69trk

ls turbo build

I'm trying to get as much info as i can on building a 800rwhp turbo build for my truck. I'm wanting to know which year and what size of ls motor would be best... I was also told that a stock ls motor with new springs and a cam swap and some tuning on the fuel injection with bigger injectors is about all the engine will need. Will the bottom end handle this kind of power? I'm also wanting a 4l80e to go with it.. Which harness would be best for this... I'm hoping to be able to make this kind of power when needed and be able to get in the 20mpg range and reinstall ac and power brakes back on the truck and drive the dang thing more that what i do....

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81

Last edited by usmcchevy; 11-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
BigDan3131

Re: ls turbo build

I'm no expert on LS based engines but you will need forged blower pistons and a cam with an LSA of like 112-115. The neatest 4L80E I have found is this one:http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-spe...e-shifter.html Its what I plan to use as I think a paddle shifter will keep my cab cleaner and let me keep both hands on the wheel. I plan to go with these guys:http://wrenchrat.com/company/ for my turbo setup.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

You can make 1200hp with a turbo 4.8 No crap! Google search, LS, big bang theory.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I think i posted in your other thread but I'll post here too. I'd start with a 6.0, as the most displacement will be your best starting point. Forged pistons for sure, then rod bolts at least (forged rods would be great too). Forced induction cam will be meeded, along with the matching valve train upgrades (springs, retainers, pushrods and maybe better lifters, to ensure you don't spit a needle bearing into your combustion chamber).
I'm not sure at what point the stock heads may get in your way. Most folks would also do a high volume oil pump while your in there.

You'll need enough fuel to run it also; twin 255's, or maybe something big like an a1000 pump. 60lb/hr injectors would be along the right lines also.

Turbo needs to be decently sized for a big single, you'll want to run an intercooled setup and possibly meth depending on what kind of driving you want to do, and how much boost you plan to run to achieve your goals. You may also need to consider running Speed density (no MAF) with the big turbo, as I've heard it can make tuning for big fi power easier.

The stock 4l80e will be a great starting point, but you'll want to get a properly sized converter for your gears and tire size to take advantage of the new power band.

This is only a starting point for ya, and I really recommend checking out ls1tech for more technical info on the topic. If you really want to see some of the boys making HUGE power (not all LS powered, but all eye candy) check out Yellowbullet.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
cletis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
You can make 1200hp with a turbo 4.8 No crap! Google search, LS, big bang theory.
Just read that article sign me up!!! I was plannin on doing an ls swap with a carb, and toying with the idea of a turbo, I will be curious on the info that is materialized in this thread.
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
69trk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I think i posted in your other thread but I'll post here too. I'd start with a 6.0, as the most displacement will be your best starting point. Forged pistons for sure, then rod bolts at least (forged rods would be great too). Forced induction cam will be meeded, along with the matching valve train upgrades (springs, retainers, pushrods and maybe better lifters, to ensure you don't spit a needle bearing into your combustion chamber).
I'm not sure at what point the stock heads may get in your way. Most folks would also do a high volume oil pump while your in there.

You'll need enough fuel to run it also; twin 255's, or maybe something big like an a1000 pump. 60lb/hr injectors would be along the right lines also.

Turbo needs to be decently sized for a big single, you'll want to run an intercooled setup and possibly meth depending on what kind of driving you want to do, and how much boost you plan to run to achieve your goals. You may also need to consider running Speed density (no MAF) with the big turbo, as I've heard it can make tuning for big fi power easier.

The stock 4l80e will be a great starting point, but you'll want to get a properly sized converter for your gears and tire size to take advantage of the new power band.

This is only a starting point for ya, and I really recommend checking out ls1tech for more technical info on the topic. If you really want to see some of the boys making HUGE power (not all LS powered, but all eye candy) check out Yellowbullet.
Thanks I will get on the turbo forums and start reading... I thought about running twins, but looks like more headache on plumbing...

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
69trk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletis View Post
Just read that article sign me up!!! I was plannin on doing an ls swap with a carb, and toying with the idea of a turbo, I will be curious on the info that is materialized in this thread.
Man, after reading that, a stock ls with just some porting on the heads and a different intake and injectors and a little larger ring gap is all you need. That thing made 60 pulls and still looked like nothing touched it!!! I would be happy with just 800 hp. It seams to me that you can find a ls motor for around $1000 and have it worked for mabey another $1000. Then find a 4l80e and have it worked for somewhere around $2000, then turbo headers and a turbo kit for around another $5-6k. SO looks like for mabey around 8-10k installed and everything? what do you guys think...

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
cletis

I'm a little out of the game to speak matter of fact, I think any money put into the engine for upgrades will add even more life. A stock engine that is gone over to make sure there is nothing that can sneak up and cause a failure, evidently will hold up. Maybe not forever but for awhile, Ithink the article stressed the importance of the tune. $2k for an engine that can hold up to 800hp would be a good start, last a couple of years or more then build a block that is even more stout. I am a little hesitant to buy the story that a stock ls would hold up indefinatly, but who knows?!
I say do it witha stock block but be prepared to build an engine in the future. If you find out 800 not enough put together an lsx stroker down the road! That's just my nickle worth of thoughts for the day...

Last edited by cletis; 11-18-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A wise man once told me

"If it has boost or a bottle, double your budget."

Its never as easy as the magazines say. Yes it can be done for that price range, but usually the lack of shop access and "hookups" they get makes things stretch on the home mechanic. for 8-10 you could setup an ls motor and trans with boost for sure...but when you ad in ALL your costs, things that get done over because goals changed etc...it always costs more. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure its a project that can be completed. I'm ALL for doing it!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Robznob11

I read a good artical in superchevy today and its so true any thing over 600 hp starts becomeing hard on drivetrain and all other parts.you also then hit the point where traction is a problem. Many big hp cars are beat at the track by less money and hp cars.my advice buy a blowef or sts turbo kit and then throw all the money into suspension and light weight parts.you have much more enjoyable truck to drive more reliable and probably faster than ever. I would venture to say your probably pushing more hp and tq then the hotchkis truck now but witch is faster and more fun to drive the artical in sc is a 11sec camaro with very close to stock ls1
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
Mr. 250r

My thoughts start with a 6.0 lq4 or lq9, lq4 has flat top pistons which some say is better for boost as compared to the dished lq9 pistons, plenty of 5.3/6.0/6.2 making that much hp on stock internals really depends on how hard you are gonna drive it and how much boost. Leave the intake alone and put the money into the heads such as Mast motorsports ls heads if you can afford them. You could hypothetically run it without an intercooler to save money my dad has been running his whipple supercharged 5.3 suburban for........ about 6 or more years without an intercooler or any aftermarket injection i think it runs at 6-8lbs i would have to ask, meth injection is not needed i don't think unless its more track orientated.

Not an expert either just have done exhaustive amounts of research and asked my dad more questions than humanely possible but here is some ls engine info if needed http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/ check out part 2 for truck stuff
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
69trk

I think i found a good start.. A complet ls engine and a 4l80e with computer and everything for $1000...

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81

Last edited by usmcchevy; 11-19-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
69trk

I have a pretty good foundation on drivetrain, moser 33spline axles, billet 1350 yokes on a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft..I will need different springs, shocks and trailering arms that will give me some adjustment. Eventually i'm going to build a ford 9" with disk brakes...

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

thats a big hp number but certainly obtainable with an LSx. I'd think you'd want to go with a complete forged bottom end tho to have it live for any length of time.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 250r View Post
My thoughts start with a 6.0 lq4 or lq9, lq4 has flat top pistons which some say is better for boost as compared to the dished lq9 pistons, plenty of 5.3/6.0/6.2 making that much hp on stock internals really depends on how hard you are gonna drive it and how much boost. Leave the intake alone and put the money into the heads such as Mast motorsports ls heads if you can afford them. You could hypothetically run it without an intercooler to save money my dad has been running his whipple supercharged 5.3 suburban for........ about 6 or more years without an intercooler or any aftermarket injection i think it runs at 6-8lbs i would have to ask, meth injection is not needed i don't think unless its more track orientated.

Not an expert either just have done exhaustive amounts of research and asked my dad more questions than humanely possible but here is some ls engine info if needed http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/ check out part 2 for truck stuff
Lq4 has the dished pistons, lq9 runs flat tops.

You don't have to intercool a supercharger if you can keep IATs down, but most of the centri hairdryers on late models benefit a lot from it... As for a turbo, intercooling is damn near a requirement; if you want to drive it on the street, or do a few passes before full heat soak. Non intercooled turbo cars are usually track only, and are also running either meth or nitrous to cool the air charge and prevent detonation. Otherwise they may be running race gas.
(before anyone says it, yes there were non-intercooled turbo cars from the factory in the 80's....they were replaced for a reason )

Meth can be used on track or street vehicles, and for the low cost (less than $300 bough, less than $150 built) its a budget way to keep the boost up without knocking. The only downside is to keeping a meth tank full (still pretty damn cheap.)

Old 11-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

My thing is, so many people say "I want to build a 600-1000 HP engine for my truck. But how many of you have driven something with that kind of power? I would bet if you drove something with a honest 400-500 HP you would be more than happy for a weekend toy/daily driver. 800HP IS going to break rear axles, transmissions, mounts, crossmembers, etc, etc, if it ever starts to think about hooking. 500 horsepower in anything on the street is STUPID fast! Most people dont consider the things like upgraded brakes either. Not saying 800hp isnt cool (it definately is) but think about what you want to use the truck for. You can build a 500 horse 6.0 LQ9 with stock everything and a small single turbo.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
69trk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
My thing is, so many people say "I want to build a 600-1000 HP engine for my truck. But how many of you have driven something with that kind of power? I would bet if you drove something with a honest 400-500 HP you would be more than happy for a weekend toy/daily driver. 800HP IS going to break rear axles, transmissions, mounts, crossmembers, etc, etc, if it ever starts to think about hooking. 500 horsepower in anything on the street is STUPID fast! Most people dont consider the things like upgraded brakes either. Not saying 800hp isnt cool (it definately is) but think about what you want to use the truck for. You can build a 500 horse 6.0 LQ9 with stock everything and a small single turbo.
How much power do you think my truck is making now? All i'm wanting is something that i can put ac, and power disk brakes back on my truck, drive it 500 miles if i want to and get close to 20 mpg and put some serious power to the rear wheels. Yea, i can drive my 600hp big block 500 miles, but i'll have to stop a couple more times for fuel. Plus a turbo powered ls in a 69 chevy truck will turn more heads than a $50000 camaro, mustang or challenger with less power.... What i want is a dual purpose truck (show and strip)...

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^ I don't think 'supercheyenne was trying to talk down to ya; just seems that a lot of the "I want xxx hp" threads on any forum seem to be based more in numeric ideals than reality.
Based on the stuff in your sig I'm sure you're more than capable of operating her.

Your goals for a street strip truck with all the goodies are defintiely do able, regardless of any "number" you choose to shoot for.

I should mention hydroboost also (you might be familiar with it already). If you want to run the power brakes its a nice option without having to worry about having enough vacuum, or clearance for the booster. Some of the truck engines had power steering pumps with 3 hoses, specifically for that setup. Its not needed, but nice to know when your looking.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
68GMCCustom

thats always been the plan for my truck...street/strip....as in I want to drive it to the strip and still count on it to get me back home. Besides getting it dialed in, I still need a few upgrades tho.

I would guess mines close to 500hp now...and yes traction definitely becomes and issue!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
LSPWRD67CHEVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
thats always been the plan for my truck...street/strip....as in I want to drive it to the strip and still count on it to get me back home. Besides getting it dialed in, I still need a few upgrades tho.

I would guess mines close to 500hp now...and yes traction definitely becomes and issue!
Did you weigh your truck when you went to the track? If so, what did it weigh?
LSPWRD67CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
68GMCCustom

I should have...but wasn't that familiar with that particular track and never saw any scales.

guess is around 3800lbs....but thats just a guess.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

If you want to have a reliable turbo LS engine that will live up to abuse then I would suggest replacing the pistons at a minimum and even the rods for the insurance. Sure there are plenty of builds out there where they take a 100% completely stock LS and throw huge lbs of boost at them and they make insane power. How long do you think that is going to last in a real world vehicle?
I also have plans to put a turbo on my 85 with a 6.0l swap in it but I am going to replace at least the rods and pistons and possibly the crank if I want a little more CI. Your prices seem to about right but don't forget about tuning. That will make or break the whole project. Like mentioned earlier, ls1tech has alot of good information on boosted LS applications. Good luck with your build and plz keep us updated bc I would really love to see this. Not too many turbo'd classic trucks out there.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
Hart_Rod

If you are wanting show and go, I think you should go with similiar setup like I have in my 69 Burb - 5.3 with magnacharger. With some small upgrades you will be close to 500 hp and you'll get good fuel mileage. Everyone I know with a 6.0 complains about their mpg even in a stock motor...
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Everyone I know with a 6.0 complains about their mpg even in a stock motor...
Posted via Mobile Device
Then they don't deserve the 6L, they should surrender all 6L engines directly to my PO box I will gladly exchange them for some 4.8's I saw sitting around.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #25
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Then they don't deserve the 6L, they should surrender all 6L engines directly to my PO box I will gladly exchange them for some 4.8's I saw sitting around.
, they weren't complaining about the power, just the mpg.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote