The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
69Beauty

Re: Introduction (me and my c50 project)

Awesome Thread! Cant wait to see end result.
1969 C-10 LWB 388 SBC Vortec Heads 10:1 Lunati 60103 cam Weiand intake Quadrajet Carb 12 Bolt 3:73 posi 700r4 Hedman Headers
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. Cab Long Box 4X4 5.9L 183k miles
1956 Ford F-100 Longbed with Original 272 and 3OTT
1995 C1500 ECSB 6.5 Diesel 4l80e (Camper puller)
1997 Dodge 3/4 ECLB V10 (MPG machine)
69Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
hugger6933

That is awesome it is kinda like you have read my mind for my project. With the motor home axles I will be getting the disc brakes and 19.5 tires to get the lopro type look. The 19.5 tires are more plentyfull[ at least for me the motor home has 6 new ones with a great spare]and I have the chrome simulators to go on the wheels.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
hugger6933

Hey Richard, I was thinking about your project today, and about you lengthening a bed. Why not lets just say you need three feet. Is there not any reason to cut three feet from the front of a long box and just have it in front of the other bed leaving as small a gap as possible between the two bed pieces. That way it would be easily removeable if and when you started into the phase of the build where you are making the cab bigger.So if you can picture it it would be a separate compartment in front of the bed . I have a good picture of it in my head [in white? ]I think it could look goodand with you not grafting it into the other bed a lot less work when you do the cab
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Cut the spring hanger rivets off and center the diff under the 8' bed then cut the tail end of the frame off. Thats what I did with this one.
Heres the build
Oh my God!
Attached Images

“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
yuccales

That bed on there looks great!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
cobra_4

Holy crap that thing looks AWESOME with that bed. Thanks, now you've got me in heat for a ton and a half up project
cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
coops714x4

Richard, there is a bus company in Oklahoma City (Ross transportation) that may be able to help you out on the rear end issue. I like the idea of stretching the bed I think it will look great, I have seen a couple with 8 foot beds and they look "stubby". I hope you are a pretty good body man or at least know one, its a lot of work splicing a bed. Good project, keep us posted. Coop
2014 Street Glide Special
1983 K20 Big Block, auto (work horse)
coops714x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #33
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Cut the spring hanger rivets off and center the diff under the 8' bed then cut the tail end of the frame off. Thats what I did with this one.
Heres the build
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/B6%20Jacket/
LOL! My first "Big Pickup" concept was going to be a bobbed deuce and a half, however I got a c50 that I planned to use for a parts truck (this is part of the story that I originally spared everyone of...) and I fell in love with it. I knew then that my big pickup had to be a Chevy and knowing my neighbor had this...

Back to your suggestion on just moving the diff forward, I investigated that early on and found that the frame 'necks down' right behind the front spring perches, so just moving forward would tilt everything plus I want to leave my options open for an extended or crew cab at some point.

BTW, your truck rocks!

The other c50 (1967) is a rusty old grain hauler with a 292, 4 speed and a two speed rear axle, lots of fun to drive! The rust just ate too much of it up to be a valid candidate for this project. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it.

-Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #34
mud.man.rj

Very cool beast, I like the box a lot better than the flat deck and also the extended cab idea, nice build, good luck and have fun.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #35
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Hey Richard, I was thinking about your project today, and about you lengthening a bed. Why not lets just say you need three feet. Is there not any reason to cut three feet from the front of a long box and just have it in front of the other bed leaving as small a gap as possible between the two bed pieces. That way it would be easily removeable if and when you started into the phase of the build where you are making the cab bigger.So if you can picture it it would be a separate compartment in front of the bed . I have a good picture of it in my head [in white? ]I think it could look goodand with you not grafting it into the other bed a lot less work when you do the cab
OK, now who is reading whose mind?? One of my many ideas on how to do this is very much along those lines. I was thinking about some kind of slide out sides that are actually a tool box. I'm still kicking that around as a possibility. Another idea is to do it like a longhorn where the seam is visible. no telling how many hours that would save in body work. (I even thought of having some custom emblems cast - "Longerhorn" I was discussing it with another motor head the other day and he said he had seen one with a sleeper between the cab and the bed. Personally I don't think that would look very good. At least not with any of the sleepers that I ever saw. That would also require me going to a short bed behind that.

-Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Beauty View Post
Awesome Thread! Cant wait to see end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
That bed on there looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Holy crap that thing looks AWESOME with that bed. Thanks, now you've got me in heat for a ton and a half up project
Thanks! I was afraid everyone would think I had lost my mind.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #37
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops714x4 View Post
Richard, there is a bus company in Oklahoma City (Ross transportation) that may be able to help you out on the rear end issue. I like the idea of stretching the bed I think it will look great, I have seen a couple with 8 foot beds and they look "stubby". I hope you are a pretty good body man or at least know one, its a lot of work splicing a bed. Good project, keep us posted. Coop
Thanks for the heads up. If my attempts at finding a truck wrecking yard fail I may go that route.

Regarding my body working skills, they don't exist yet. I've just always believed that you never find out until you try. That is why I started with a rough bed, I didn't want to sacrifice a nice one in case I fail at this. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I may go the longhorn route with a visible seam. In fact if I do that it also resolves having to weld up a floor as a wood floor would be 'correct'.

-Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #38
rkn463

Forgot to mention this week's "progress". It was almost none as we spent most of the weekend building fence to keep the cows out of the hay field. My minor accomplishments on the truck were to put in some CST front side marker lights, lenghthen the rear wiring on the bed to reach the plug on the truck (works!) and I half way installed my new dash pad. I didn't finish screwing it down because I'm just going to pull it back off to paint the dash. I'm trusting that it will lay down evenly once all of the screws are in. Anyway here are a couple of pics, one of the interior with the dash and flashback picture of the truck with the wood side boards on the flat bed that I had built a couple of months back to keep my dogs from falling over the side. I swear those dogs love this truck even more than I do! I liked the side boards so much that I almost decided against the pickup bed. Almost
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #39
rkn463

Howdy!

Well it has been a long time (5 years) since I posted on this thread. I feel kind of stupid in that I had started this thread and literally forgot about it. Last April I had started working on the truck for real and I started as thread over in the "heavy haulers" board (where it belongs). About three months in to the new thread a friend asked me why I didn't update my original thread. So I linked to this one. Then tonight I realized that this thread wasn't even in the heavy haulers board. So for anyone that was watching this, jump over here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=704713 and check out he progress. (A lot has changed) I hope you like what I've done, please post any replies over on the other thread!

-Richard