The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB BBC)

Haha!! Title pretty much sums it up! - bit of history, bought this truck off ebay about 5 years ago, started on it right away, tore it all down but couldn't find anyone willing to touch the body/paint for less then 20K !! So needless to say it sat for at least 3 years. I was not willing to spend over 20K for bodywork.

So the epic journey begins, I was fed up with it just sitting there with that massive 675hp 496cu.in. mill sitting in the frame rails not even lumping its huge cam once. Time to do something about it, did a few days of research on the forum, read all the FAQ items about bodywork..."hey I can handle this!" (convincing myself) I've got all the tools and space I need, time to hit this project up! and what ever happens... happens!

Clearly as a first timer doing bodywork and paint, this is not gonna be a show winner, but at least I can be proud of it, saying I did absolutely everything myself on this truck!
I am hoping some of you will follow this build, giving me a few suggestions along the way, I will need all the help I can get! My son is turning 0 in June (our first kid too!) so I really wanna push hard and have it ready for his arrival. wow! ambitious guy you are thinking - as its March 1st already! Lucky for me I am a grain farmer, so I have a lot of time which I can donate to it during the off season. Clever me already ordered nearly all the parts I need, so there is nothing holding me back from the build but skills and common sense!

So welcome to my thread!! and please, subscribe and comment, I need all the pointers I can get! <---what I should of said was Painters!

seems normal enough...found out the only thing '67 on this truck was the cab and frame! actually it belonged to a stepside, too bad I found out just recently or I would have bought the right box for it!
Name:  May 2006 005 (Small).jpg
Views: 3717
Size:  74.2 KB
gotta luv the conflicting tail gate! also comes with matching steel floor.
Name:  May 2006 002 (Small).jpg
Views: 3662
Size:  68.8 KB
drool...
Name:  May 2006 006 (Small).jpg
Views: 3723
Size:  109.2 KB
well this is what it is supposed to look similar too, I borrowed this image from another forum member (from Bowtie468) , but how many ways can you skin a cat, right? well I already knew it was gonna look like this 5 years ago, but I am not computer literate enough to change the colour to Galaxy Blue and knock off the side markers.
Name:  Chris01.jpg
Views: 3738
Size:  19.1 KB

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 04-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
CharlesUFarley

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

I'll be following along.
CharlesUFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
BuiltwithIvy

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

looks pretty clean for a canada truck, keep up the build!
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Just my luck!! I am already on my third engine and I haven't even started it up yet! these two blocks were found to be toast after being fluxed, both had previously spun a bearing and cracked the core along the mains, such a shame, they were both 4 bolt virgins. Thanks a lot Bargain Finder newspaper!
Name:  parts 017 (Small).jpg
Views: 3674
Size:  52.2 KB
ok... wheres the bodyman!? I'm ready!
Name:  Truck 009 (Small).jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  52.5 KB
it's actually not in too bad of shape!
Name:  Truck 012 (Small).JPG
Views: 3678
Size:  103.3 KB
blasted and primmed the frame
Name:  may000 (Small).jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  57.2 KB
I was originally going to go with a rear coil-over set-up and use this truck more for drag racing, but changed my mind as I wanted to go lower... so I have a direct bolt on bracket, if anyone wants coilovers! I designed it to get maximum travel and still fit under the bed.
Name:  may 002 (Small).jpg
Views: 3663
Size:  50.8 KB
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

I used some sort of special frame paint, directions said to keep it out of direct sunlight..?
Name:  june 002 (Small).jpg
Views: 3662
Size:  47.0 KB
took forever to weld in cups.. did this right as porterbuilt stuff was coming out, too bad I didn't buy his whole front end set up...next time I guess! so far with just engine in, my arms are about 3/4 inch off the ground.
Name:  june 006 (Small).jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  53.9 KB
had to make a few notches for the big block mounts
Name:  june 005 (Small).jpg
Views: 3649
Size:  47.1 KB
thats a Tremec TKO 600 she's mated up to, also stuffed a 12 inch DF clutch in there for good measure. the stats show that tranny is awesome! low close ratio 4 speed, with a really tall over drive, so I will be running a 4.44 rear. of course this thing is gonna be tubbed and will be running stickyest/ widest/lowest profile tire I can find!
Name:  june 011 (Small).jpg
Views: 3649
Size:  56.8 KB
like my trans crossmember? I figure it the bed is wood, why not!?
Name:  june 007 (Small).jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

after a quick blast, the cancer shows up really quick, but the floor pans were much better then I expected. I never thought the ventwell was going to punch through so bad, I guess it rusted from the inside out, there were a ton of leaves and even some glass was in there.
Name:  002 (Small).JPG
Views: 3626
Size:  95.6 KB
did some cutting
Name:  004 (Small).JPG
Views: 3624
Size:  107.6 KB
finding out those aftermarket floor pans are really poor, they don't fit worth a darn and sure need a lot of massaging
Name:  007 (Small).jpg
Views: 3601
Size:  55.2 KB
had a few dents in the cab
Name:  008 (Small).JPG
Views: 3598
Size:  84.9 KB
things seem to look good so far...
Name:  011 (Small).JPG
Views: 3595
Size:  91.4 KB
Old 03-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

now this is where things go really snakey! and boy am I pissed off! I got a guy to help me out with the truck, said he was a real veteran autobody guy, so I paid him $60/hr to help me out on this... well this is one way he helps me out! I could not believe it!? how do you destroy such an easy fill job?? I even bought the little filler plate for the nozzle hole, so it would be a sinch to fit and weld in and smooth out.
needless to say I stopped him on the project just after a few hours of helping, heck I've never done bodywork before and even I can do better then that!!
Name:  012 (Small).JPG
Views: 3571
Size:  86.1 KB
this guy just created a big job for me! not happy!
Name:  013 (Small).JPG
Views: 3563
Size:  87.2 KB
so I tried to cut a patch panel from an old door skin, since it has the same curve as this spot, in this photo I fit it just perfect... but to no avail, he used a file on the whole area so the metal is paper thin, there is nothing to weld to, I'm sure a paint sprayer would even blow holes through it! so after trying to weld in the patch panel and still blowing holes I decided to give up, and am going to have to find a donor cab and cut off the whole filler area from the door to the back of the cab.. this is gonna suck, because I am a novice and this is a big detailed job, where everyone is going to be looking - this I did not need!!
Name:  014 (Small).JPG
Views: 3556
Size:  70.1 KB
here is my welded in floor and rocker panel, the floor was my very first attempt at welding sheet metal in my life... i noticed the heat was too low so I didn't get very good penetration and had to do lots of touch-ups.
Name:  016 (Small).JPG
Views: 3555
Size:  99.5 KB
I did a lot better on the front cab mount, well, at least I think I did pretty good.
Name:  021 (Small).JPG
Views: 3548
Size:  94.4 KB
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

well I fitted the newly skinned door and welded in the cab corner(after I welded in the rocker).. it got a little wavey on the back of the cab, not sure why? perhaps I was laying to long of a bead at once? i am not sure how I will straighten it out, but at least its hidden by the box, so it's not devistating, but still would like to get the weld area straight without filler.
Name:  023 (Small).JPG
Views: 3580
Size:  95.1 KB
is it just me..? those cab corners sure are hard to fit in.
Name:  022 (Small).JPG
Views: 3519
Size:  98.4 KB
just preping the passenger door for a new skin job tomorrow, the door was actually in great shape, but it had so many holes in it from several mirror installations, I figured this would be cleaner, the previous owner also drilled out the nuts for the inner door panel for some sort of retrofit clips that never worked anyway, so this gives me a good view to weld in some nuts.
Name:  024 (Small).JPG
Views: 3517
Size:  89.1 KB

I should have more updates tomorrow, as I will be hacking away at the passenger side, but I am really nervous about the gas filler job I will have to contend with soon.. I am hoping that if I leave it till last I will have gained some experience from the floors and cab corners, and you guys will maybe have some advice for me!

I am glad the box and fenders is all new reproduction metal, so I should hopefully not have to do so much cosmetic metal work.

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 03-01-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
JRBECK64

Wow, for never doing bodywork your doing a great job. Thats going to be one nice truck. Are you going to Get a short bed or are you going to cut down the one you have? Keep the pictures coming.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Wow, for never doing bodywork your doing a great job. Thats going to be one nice truck. Are you going to Get a short bed or are you going to cut down the one you have? Keep the pictures coming.

JRBECK64
Thanks! well actually you can't tell in the photos, but the frame is already shortened, and I have a new reproduction box waiting to be put together.

I need to take more updated photos of the frame as I have more work completed on it, but as it's been sitting ready for the body to be placed on it, it has stuff piled all over it! I only started working on the body about a week ago.

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 03-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
formikaus

looking great. i can't believe how good the cab was/is. nice solid truck, great progress.
formikaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
YBNORML

Looking good!
I know all about "bodywork helpers", the first time around on my truck I had a buddies dad help me weld in rockers/corners. He f'd it up so bad that I had to buy another cab.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
chevy88

I know what your saying I hate autobody work also, but I had no choice either and am doing it myself so far. It looks like your coming along good. They way I figure it in the end just before paint if it doesn't look good enough then I will pay them to do the finishing touches. Good luck with your build.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Subscribed.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by formikaus View Post
looking great. i can't believe how good the cab was/is. nice solid truck, great progress.
Thanks, I'll try be politically correct, but yea, the guy I bought the truck off of was from an Indian reserve near Calgary, so there are actually a lot of good truck bodies coming out of those places as they don't see the road for very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Looking good!
I know all about "bodywork helpers", the first time around on my truck I had a buddies dad help me weld in rockers/corners. He f'd it up so bad that I had to buy another cab.
Now that is scary! I would have been growing horns if that were me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
Good luck with your build.
Thanks!

I got some updates, but first funny story time!

I was working on my truck again today, the usual 10hr day and getting near the end of tonight I was putting the finishing cut into my cab support. Then all of a sudden... Bang!! so loud, right beside my head! I figured my homade saw horse cracked or something!? darn scared for 1.5seconds I tell ya!
Anyway, what happened was the air line was resting right up against a halogen light I was working with under the cab, the hot light actually melted a hole right through the air line and blew out!
I think even the dog was laughing at me after that one..

well I had about 7 minutes of grinding left, so I pulled a Red Green and did a little Duct Tape/Tye Wrap mod to allow me to finish.
Name:  March  1st 2012 011 (Small).JPG
Views: 3363
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #16
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Well I had some pretty good progress today! I am hoping to have good progress for the next few weeks as I am all alone here and can work without any interuptions, normally my dad will find a lot of other work for me to do, but as he is on holidays, I can go full bore on my own stuff!

Skill testing question: Try spot the truck! I tell ya... leave a project for a few years and people start using it as storage area.
Name:  March  1st 2012 002 (Small).JPG
Views: 3354
Size:  101.4 KB
made some necessary cuts...
Name:  March  1st 2012 004 (Small).JPG
Views: 3357
Size:  104.8 KB
figured I had all the metal cut, bent up, and bashed out just as I wanted it...
Name:  March  1st 2012 005 (Small).JPG
Views: 3349
Size:  87.9 KB
now this is the second time this has happend!? I did the same thing on the Drivers side! This time I was watching for it, but still seemed to leave this little triangle, for some reason I can't seem to get the panel to fit in properly when I go to mark it, eventhough I leave extra material, I still come up short?
Name:  March  1st 2012 009 (Small).JPG
Views: 3355
Size:  109.5 KB
well, what else can I do? getting good practise with welding these little triangle pieces, I did a much better job with this floor pan, it almost makes me want to go back and re-do the drivers side..
Name:  March  1st 2012 010 (Small).jpg
Views: 3348
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Subscribed! Really like everything about the build so far! And your writing style works too! LOL!
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #18
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice work so far. Getting ready to buy myself a welder too. I have a friend who helps but it's a pain going back and forth and more than anything else I hate feeling like I'm using someone...

Engine and frame look great! (or they did when I could see them )
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Keep it up. Looks like your moving at a pretty quick pace.

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
duallyjams

What make welder are you using , what gauge wire at what speed and what heat range ? We can all learn as you go.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Subscribed! Really like everything about the build so far! And your writing style works too! LOL!
Thanks! I was dreading the bodywork, but I am actually having a lot of fun so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Nice work so far...Engine and frame look great! (or they did when I could see them )
Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
Keep it up. Looks like your moving at a pretty quick pace.
Thanks, yea, keep checking this thread each day or so if you want to follow along, I pound out 10-12hr days everyday on this thing, so I get a lot done in a week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
What make welder are you using , what gauge wire at what speed and what heat range ? We can all learn as you go.
I am using a Miller 212 mig Welder, I did a lot of research when looking for a welder, this thing is awesome! it's overkill for sheet metal jobs as it can weld 3/8 in a single pass and has a duty cycle of 60%. But I wanted it because it can also do aluminum, and heavier stuff on the farm too.
I can't remember what my wire thickness is, I can check on that for you if you like, but normally I am on heat setting #2 and wire speed is about 30...

here are the front passenger side photos ... she's all sewn up, just needs grinding now, I tell ya, I never knew what a Roloc Disc was until a week ago... and now I can't imagine a life without them!!!
Name:  March  1st 2012 012 (Small).JPG
Views: 3290
Size:  83.4 KB
Name:  March  1st 2012 013 (Small).JPG
Views: 3287
Size:  106.3 KB
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
67cheby
67cheby

looking good !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
looking good !
Thanks, I am following your build closely! that thing is gonna be sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Looking nice!
Thanks, and likewise, both of you have awesome builds, which I am keeping an eye on! I am jealous how yours is getting the Porter goodies!

well now I got a few updates from today, didn't get so much work done, only about 6 hours or so had to replace the air hose reel I toasted yesterday (funny thing is I actually had a second one sitting in a box here - was 50% off) the recoil spring was broke from last summer anyway.
Name:  March 2nd 2012 001 (Small).JPG
Views: 3211
Size:  95.0 KB
prepping for surgery
Name:  March 2nd 2012 002 (Small).JPG
Views: 3207
Size:  81.4 KB
this is my method of knocking out spot welds
Name:  March 2nd 2012 003 (Small).JPG
Views: 3232
Size:  100.1 KB
klang! kling klang!!
Name:  March 2nd 2012 004 (Small).JPG
Views: 3215
Size:  89.2 KB
those back floors are much easier to work on then the fronts with those darn pilliars in the way.
Name:  March 2nd 2012 006 (Small).JPG
Views: 3200
Size:  90.4 KB
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #24
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Nice progress. Looks like you got a big ole shop to work in, that's cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #25
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

there is a lot of tin that has come off this truck so far, I should have thrown those door skins on top of all that!
Name:  March 2nd 2012 005 (Small).jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  52.5 KB
and this is as far as I got today. Hopefully I have a reasonable day tomorrow. I can't wait to start moving onto something else soon, I'm not going to miss this cutting, welding, and grinding too much. I really wanna get the cab on the truck, then I will actually feel like I am moving forward!
Name:  March 2nd 2012 008 (Small).JPG
Views: 2132
Size:  95.0 KB