The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #51
DustinU

Re: 1969 Blazer...To be my daily driver

I haven't updated this in a while so here is where I am at now...

I have installed the carpet, the sound deadener, jute combo worked out great and even with the top off it is quite! I am very happy with the out come. I re-hung the doors temporarily and bought a nice set of Southern California rust free truck doors to convert in the coming months. I swapped out the ignition, heater control and cig lighter (need to charge the phone), mirror and door panel/handles.

I also cut the free double wall top up and took the front for the roll bar bimini top (so no drilling the windshield). The top is actually being made today so I will post some pics of that soon.

I used window/door foam inside and bondo to fill (fiberglass would have been better but time and experience with it prevented it).

Next up, I need to swap out the hood hinges, install rear side panels and the ORD zero rate leafs to correct this:
DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #52
29od1

Looks good Dustin!

Just an FYI, I used zero rates on my 4" lift also, but you may have to have the driveline extended when you do it. Mine moved about 2" further out of the slip joint. I still drive it some, but I really need to get the driveline lengthened soon.

I think the lift companies locate the leaf spring pin so that you don't change the driveline length much. Although you will be a lot happier with the wheel centered with the zero rates. I know I was.

Keep up the good work!
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #53
DustinU

Thanks 29od1!
The Blazer had the stock leafs and a 4" block when I bought it (so about 5.5"-6") and it had a driveline vibration when coming to a stop. I will have to see how it does with the additional 1". Did you leave the shims on the leafs packs or remove them? Mine are very thin and am planning on leaving them on. I have been going back and forth that if I need to lengthen the drive shaft that I may just drop down to a 2.5" or 3" lift as that is what I would have put on it if it were stock... decisions decisions.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #54
29od1

When I put the zero rates on, I left the tapered shim in. Mine was a skyjacker lift and I haven't noticed any vibration issues with it after about 500 miles.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #55
DustinU

So I picked up the Blazer a few minutes ago and am very happy with the soft top that Orange Auto upholstery made for me. It is a canvas much like an outdoor umbrella, I only got up to about 45 mph on the way home, but there was no flapping in the wind, it cut the wind down significantly also.
The only thing that I think would make it look better is if the snap buttons were screwed into the windshield, but that's not going to happen.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I like how they made those flaps to wrap around the bars. Good idea there. Looking real nice overall.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #57
29od1

I agree I think it looks really good. I like the functionality of being able to unbolt the front and not putting screws into the windshield frame.

Now get the wife and kiddos into that thing and drive it!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #58
DustinU

Thanks guys. My boys, 1 and 3 years old, love it... it's Dadda's MONSTER Truck, lol.

My wife has cursed this Blazer since the day I decided to pull the motor (day 2), after going for her first ride the other day I swear I saw a smile and think she is coming around

Last edited by DustinU; 05-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #59
DustinU

I just finished the ORD zero rate leaf spring install, it was pretty simple and fast. I used the 1.5" option and the wheel sits much better in the wheel well. No more saggy butt now either, I didn't mind it actually kinda liked it but who can complain about a truck sitting level. I will take some pictures this weekend...not in the driveway
New side markers were also installed.
I installed an alarm with a proximity sensor yesterday. It doesn't go off until you stick your arm in the cab. Between this, the cable lock and car seats it will take at least a couple minutes to steal the rear seats while the horn is blaring.

Still to do sooner than later:
Fix gas gauge (3 o'clock problem)
Tach hook up
ampmeter troubleshoot
hood hinges
Tilt column
Steering wheel (this 13" wheel is driving me crazy)
Side panels
Differential and trans fluid change
Cargo box for rear

Down the road;
Cut truck doors down
align body, doors and hood.
hard top restore
rocker panels and torsion boxes
Amp and speakers
Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #60
DustinU

Ok I said no more driveway shots but I was too busy driving!

Before and after of the ORD zero rate moved back 1.5" and the truck sits level.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #61
DustinU

By installing the zero rates it stretched my drive shaft out further than I liked (3 1/4" compression left and only 3/4" extension). I used a longer drive shaft slip yoke (longer by 1 3/8") and it put everything back to normal with 2" extension and compression available for the shaft. The longer slip yoke was cheaper than lengthening the shaft. Hind sight, I bought the yoke first, when I went to get the u joints pressed the shaft was dented and bent so it was replaced anyway and could of just been lengthened. I had no felt vibrations from the drive shaft previously.

Before:

After:

Last edited by DustinU; 05-26-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
jonesky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinU View Post
So I picked up the Blazer a few minutes ago and am very happy with the soft top that Orange Auto upholstery made for me. It is a canvas much like an outdoor umbrella, I only got up to about 45 mph on the way home, but there was no flapping in the wind, it cut the wind down significantly also.
The only thing that I think would make it look better is if the snap buttons were screwed into the windshield, but that's not going to happen.

If your not happy with the double wall top with the snaps, maybe you could do something that I plan on doing?

Make a custom soft top windshield frame bracket for a more cleaner slick look.. just get some snaps from a boat place or upholstery place.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...=256502&page=6
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #63
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesky2 View Post
If your not happy with the double wall top with the snaps, maybe you could do something that I plan on doing?

Make a custom soft top windshield frame bracket for a more cleaner slick look.. just get some snaps from a boat place or upholstery place.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...=256502&page=6
That is also a great idea! I think I am going to see if robs71k5gmc fiberglass mold goes into production.
See it here if you haven't already:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...8&goto=newpost

If I used that fiberglass top mold, I would get softtoppers snap bar so I could use my "bimini" and/or a soft top.
Thanks for another great idea though!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #64
jonesky2

Man thats clean looking! It would look good on your ride!

How do you like driving the old girl for a daily driver?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #65
dansavo

How do you like those front seats? Anything you would have different? Do they adjust back forth at all? I'm lookin at buying a pair of the same seats on CL, so I just gotta know if this is the way to go and install shoulder belts or go with the front seat 2000-2003 style with integrated seatbelts. Thanks! And great looking Blaze!
dansavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #66
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansavo View Post
How do you like those front seats? Anything you would have different? Do they adjust back forth at all? I'm lookin at buying a pair of the same seats on CL, so I just gotta know if this is the way to go and install shoulder belts or go with the front seat 2000-2003 style with integrated seatbelts. Thanks! And great looking Blaze!
I love the seats! I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am 6'3 so having the seat all the way back is the only place I need it, but My wife is 5'8" and can also still drive it fairly comfortably. 29od1 has a great thread on the seats if you haven't already seen it you should check it out. The seat belts work great. I replaced the factory receiver in the seat and installed the shoulder to the roll cage and floor. I used large steel plate under all the seats and belt location with grade 8 hardware.

I used the plastic "sleeve" for the receiver

Plenty of room to get in the back:

Oh and I installed a different NP205 shifter and knob... finally
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
Coboyle04

nice soft top and roll cage
Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #68
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coboyle04 View Post
nice soft top and roll cage
Thanks!
Took the boys out in it today, it drove great and they love Dad's Monster Truck

Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #69
29od1

That first picture is what it's all about! That's the reason we got our Blazer, nothing else like it.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #70
tothetower

this thing is radd!! what lift do you have in the front??
tothetower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #71
tothetower

i stay in orange as well, just bought a pair of superlift leafs for my front end, installed it like 3 hours ago.. i dont know if i like it yet.
tothetower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #72
JBerno

I love that cage, any more info on it? Where did you get it built and if you dont mind what did it run you?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #73
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBerno View Post
I love that cage, any more info on it? Where did you get it built and if you dont mind what did it run you?
Thanks, I love too!
The cage was built by Steve at Roughneck Offroad in Wildomar, CA he did a great job on it and is a good guy. I left my Blazer with him for a week and he bent it up, I know metal and overhead increase/change over time but I think I paid just under 2K (Too scared to look at the receipt folder, lol).

It is not mounted to the frame, but I used grade 8 bolts and large heavy gauge steel plates under all the seats and roll cage mounting locations.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #74
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothetower View Post
i stay in orange as well, just bought a pair of superlift leafs for my front end, installed it like 3 hours ago.. i dont know if i like it yet.
I have a 4" superlift on both front and rear. Rear also has the ORD zero rate leaf to center the wheel and sorta level out the sag... still probally 1" lower in rear, but I like that stance. The Rancho 9000s make the ride really nice, I have been playing around with the adjustments to find the ride I like.

Post up some pics of your ride, maybe I'll see ya around town.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #75
jonesky2

How much fat mat and jute did you order to cover your hole rig? Im getting ready to do my interior, and fat mat is a way better price then dynamat. Did fat mat work good for you?