The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Dano51

wiring Diagram for GM steering column

I need the wiring diagram for a gm steering column.
Dano51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: wiring Diagram for GM steering column

Which one? (You don't list a year here.)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
_Ogre
master of none

from painless manual

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Ronald29609

Need help please. Installed a '72 C10 Tilt column in place of the '67 standard shift column.
When I plug the crescent connectors together the left turn signal flashed constantly and nothing else works. The color arrangement on the '67 Truck connector is not the same as the '72 column connector. Any help would be appreciated.
Ronald29609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The chart above posted by Ogre shows how the wires are oriented in the connector from the truck harness. It starts with the horn on one end and the brake wire on the other.
does your harness compare with that?

To check the turn signal harness you need a multimeter to measure continuity. You want to identify the separate wires so you can match them up to the other half in the 67 connector. you will only be checking the wires in the 72 connector.

Start by connecting the multimeter, set on Ohms, and connect one lead to the ground and the other to the end wire on the connector that matches the black wire on the 67 connector. Press the horn button and check the meter for 0 ohms. If that checks then mark this wire as the horn wire.

Next go to the other end and connect one lead to the end wire and the other to each wire in the connector until you get 0 ohms. The end wire is the brake wire if the connector is wired correctly. Make sure the turn signal lever is in the center position and you don't need the key on for this. You should see 0 on two wires. These will be the yellow and green wires for the brakes and turn signal lights.

To identify which wire is yellow (left), and which wire is dark green (right) just leave the meter connectors on the end wire and one of the two you just tested. Then place the turn signal lever in the left or right turn position and check the meter for 0 ohms or no reading. If you are in the left turn position and the meter reads nothing then that is the yellow wire. If you get o ohms then it is the dark green wire for the right turn/right brake. The other wire will be the opposite color.

By now you should have identified the black,white, yellow and dark green wires.

Next up is the purple wire in the steering column connector. This is the wire that feeds the yellow and dark green wires for the left and right turn signals.

To find it you need to connect the meter to either the yellow or dark green wire that you identified above, then place the signal lever in the left or right position depending on which wire you are connected to. Then check the other wires in the connector until you get 0 ohms. This wire should be the purple wire to match the 67 connector. Leave your meter connected to that wire and switch the other meter lead to the other color wire Dark green or yellow and switch the lever to that side to match the color wire for left or right. If you still get 0 ohms then you have found the purple wire in the steering column connector for the turn signals.

Now you have found all but the brown and lt. blue and dk. blue wires.

The brown wire is the hazard wire and when the hazard switch is engaged there should be 0 ohms between it and all four turn signal wires. Yellow, dk green, light blue and dk blue wires. It will be easy to find, just connect one meter lead to the left or right ( yellow or dk green wire), and touch the other lead to each of the unknown wires in the steering column connector, with the hazard switch engaged, until you get 0 ohms. When you get 0 ohms just push the hazard switch down and the meter should read infinity(nothing). That will be the brown wire. You can check it with the other turn signal wire to confirm if you want.

All that's left is the light blue and dark blue wires for the front turn signals. To find those just connect the meter leads between the yellow or dark green wires and one of the two remaining wires and place the turn signal lever in the left or right position and check for 0 ohms on the meter. When you get 0 ohms that will be the left or right front turn signal to match the left or right rear signal.

If your turn signal switch is not defective then all the operations should work OK. Once you get the wires identified you can match them with the wires in the 67 connector. Since your left turn works all the time you may have a problem with the turn signal switch. Even though the wire colors don' t match, the wire positions should match up with the chart and my troubleshooting. 67 and 72s should be the same according to the wiring diagrams.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Ronald29609

Many thanks. It's been 30 years since I did a project like this. I forgot a lot of details.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Ronald29609

Checked out the wiring per your instructions. It turns out that the switch was shorted. There were 4 zero ohm wires. I took the switch out of the '67 Column and will install it into the '72 column tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
SRA1

Would there be a schematic that explains the connections. I'm interested in the #934 wires from the connector to the fuse box, which are currently connected to my IGN SW B+ point on the fuse box. My question is the column sending battery power to the fuse box when the key is moved to the run or start position, or is the fuse box sending the battery power to the column? I've had some rewiring done, and while it cranks, it will only run when the key is released from the start position. The coil is not getting 12volts during the start cycle, only in run? While I have been a member for awhile, I'm not much of a user, so if this is the wrong place to raise the question, I apologize in advance. I've just been looking at the same painless manual for 3 days and need to make some progress. Thanks.
SRA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
_Ogre
master of none

painless performance has a good tech section that helps for most aftermarket wiring
download a manual, any manual will have the ignition wiring

assuming your 12v, if your not getting start power: there should be a wire coming from the starter
it will bypass any ballast resistor to give 12v+ to the coil when cranking

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
painless performance has a good tech section that helps for most aftermarket wiring
download a manual, any manual will have the ignition wiring

assuming your 12v, if your not getting start power: there should be a wire coming from the starter
it will bypass any ballast resistor to give 12v+ to the coil when cranking

We're having to do a lot of that on this one. The details are not there.
It being a 48 chevy means that most of it is aftermarket or later OEM stuff. and is it converted to 12 volts?
I have guessed that he has a tilt column with the key in the column and he has a painless fuse panel.
Going by the question "where does the 934 wire go?" tells me part of that.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is the website for the 21 circuit Painless harness. Which one is it? 12 circuit or 21?

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10104.pdf

Refer to 7.0 figure 7.4 on page 9.

Notes page at the end of the manual refer to no.8

NOTES:
1. Depending upon the particular wire harness you purchased, you may not have some of these wires.
2. 2-color wires: 2nd color (stripe) may not be intense color. Observe two-color wires closely.
3. This section consists of only one large (10 gauge) wire.
4. From fuse panel to brake switch.
5. This wire is cut and spade lugs have been installed (GM-keyed kits only) so that your existing neutral safety switch
circuit can be wired into your harness. The neutral safety switch is located at the base of General Motors and Ford
steering columns and in Mopar transmissions. Do not attempt to defeat your automobile's neutral safety switch. If
your automobile does not have a neutral safety switch, please install one.
6. These are two (2) wires, bonded together. One wire is Speaker POSITIVE (+) and the other wire is Speaker
NEGATIVE (-).
7. This wire needs to go from the headlight switch to the instrument panel lights.
8. There are two (2) Red 934 wires that MUST both be connected to the "Batt" terminal of the ignition switch. These
wires supply all of the ignition switched power that goes to the fuse panel and both are needed because of the
amount of power required to power all of the accessories.

9. This wire is power for the portion of the headlight switch that goes out to the headlights and front parking lights.
10. This wire is power for the portion of the headlight switch that goes out to the instrument panel lights and the tail
lights. NOTE: This wire is only used if your headlight switch has two power input terminals.
11. Non-GM keyed column harnesses have 48 of extra length to accommodate a floor shifter. If a floor shifter is being
used, utilize this extra length to route the 919 Purple to the neutral safety switch on the shifter or transmission and
then to the starter solenoid. If not using a floor shifter, cut 919 Purple to length needed for starter solenoid and
discard extra length.
12. Kit 20104 has these wires located near the turn signal and ignition switch section wires.

Part of the problem with Painless manuals is that they loop in the Ford and Mopar systems, which can be confusing when pertaining to a particular model.
If one is an amateur at wiring it can be disconcerting at best.

They do show some excellent PDFs. in the illustrations which should be very helpful. I would hope that all that is included in the Kits.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide