The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
JWheeler331

Any LT1 350 owners on here?

Anyone of you put a LT1 350 in their truck?

My cousin has had a 1997 Trans Am that was nearly brand new in terms of use......been sitting in his yard for the last 10 years or so due to hitting a deer. I was asking him about the motor and he said I could have it if I hauled off the whole car. This was a top of the line Trans Am and I figure I could sell enough of the other parts to have the motor redone.

Just wondering if anyone else has one of these motors in their truck and how hard it was to make the swap?

I remember riding in that car and with its 5 speed manual tranny and whatever rearend it has.....the car was pretty awesome
JWheeler331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Any LT1 350 owners on here?

I don't have one in a truck (but there are a few guys here that do). I have three of them in cars, one having a T56 six speed that I swapped in. If it is in fact an LT1 Trans Am (not a firebird), and it is manual trans, it will be the T56. Not a 5 speed. Worth the price of hauling that car away. With a cam/rocker/spring swap, you will get an easy 350-400 HP out of that LT1 easily. If you have any other questions, just let me know, I've been working on LT1s for almost 15 years.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I don't have one in a truck (but there are a few guys here that do). I have three of them in cars, one having a T56 six speed that I swapped in. If it is in fact an LT1 Trans Am (not a firebird), and it is manual trans, it will be the T56. Not a 5 speed. Worth the price of hauling that car away. With a cam/rocker/spring swap, you will get an easy 350-400 HP out of that LT1 easily. If you have any other questions, just let me know, I've been working on LT1s for almost 15 years.

Thanks. I will call him and get some more details. I am pretty sure it's the Trans Am. It has a manual and I was prob wrong when I said 5 speed. My truck is an auto but I figured the motor and tranny would be worth hauling it off. It was a really nice car but he hit a deer and messes up the nose of the car. He parked it at my grandmothers and then ended up moving to fla. it has sat for several years there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
LT1 Burb

Piece of cake.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
JWheeler331

Man, that looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
giles70chevy

Thumbs up Re: Any LT1 350 owners on here?

I'm doing one right now. It's a good motor, and it's a really clean setup. Also, there are several sites about the LT1, wiring, AC pump relocation, etc. for installing into older cars/trucks. For the price, you can't go wrong....
giles70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles70chevy View Post
I'm doing one right now. It's a good motor, and it's a really clean setup. Also, there are several sites about the LT1, wiring, AC pump relocation, etc. for installing into older cars/trucks. For the price, you can't go wrong....
I guess that was my main concern.... The wiring and computer stuff.

Any pics of your build?

How are you doing the wiring?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
jayoldschool

Just take the wiring harness out with the engine. Buy the factory service manual for the donor car, look up the circuits, and cut out the wires you don't need. The wiring is easy to work with, the only duplicate connectors are the O2s. Even the injector connectors are numbered. For the computer, you can get it programmed to delete functions you don't need. I have an LT1 on a stand, and an extra wiring harness in my spares. LMK if you need pics of anything.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
gofastnut

I think FAST makes a stand alone EFI controller for this, can't remember, but I think Painless makes a ready to run harness that gets rid of all the extras you don't need.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastnut View Post
I think FAST makes a stand alone EFI controller for this, can't remember, but I think Painless makes a ready to run harness that gets rid of all the extras you don't need.

Thanks y'all. I'm going to look into it more. I will get it reguardless and then just decide what I want to do after more research.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
nimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler331 View Post
Man, that looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
very clean.
Here's mine. '95 Corvette LT1 in my '66 1/2-ton Stepside.

Get the whole car. Use the ECM and modify the wiring harness from it. Definitely get the Factory Service Manual for the donor car. Sell or throw away what you don't use. Take your time. It's not particularly difficult, but there are a TON of details to consider.
I bought a lightly-totaled, low-mileage car and used everything that I could from it.
Started it for the first time last Friday, BTW.
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
kieth

I have one from a 2004 Oklahoma Highway Patrol Camaro, have the basic wiring harness and the computer, got the serpetine belt rearranger but have just not got started on the change over yet. Mine is not as pretty as the corvette motors but we did not pay a lot for it. The Aluminum heads keep talking to me and I think it will make a good winter project ......Kieth

kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
giles70chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler331 View Post
I guess that was my main concern.... The wiring and computer stuff.

Any pics of your build?

How are you doing the wiring?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sorry, but I don't have pics yet. I can take some when I get done with the wiring. My truck is just now going back together.

Here's a link to the site I've been using. This site tells you how to do all of the wiring, and they will reprogram your computer too. The details are on the website on the details on reprogramming for your needs, shipping, and anything else you would need to do the wiring yourself.

http://www.lt1swap.com/1994_f_body_w...ss_schemat.htm
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
giles70chevy

You'll also have to deal with the AC compressor. They hit the frame, and unless you can re-enforce your frame and pocket it for the compressor, and make some custom motor mounts, then you'll need to relocate it to the driver's side (unless someone else has figured a way to make this work.... and if so, please please tell me because I don't want to move mine). Also, just a bit of information on the motor mounts and the AC compressor.... the motor mounts tabs on the LT1 motor on the passenger side... there are 4 of them, not 3 of them. With the stock setup, the AC compressor has a bracket on the rear of the compressor, and it stabilizes the AC compressor to the block, and the motor mount is bolted just behind the AC compressor. If you want to use stock motor mounts like me, so you can just drop it in your truck, just remove the AC compressor and mount your motor mounts to the front 3 bolt holes. You can buy the AC delete piece and/or get the drivers side mount for the AC compressor. I've been looking at getting the Corvette accessory mounts, but they are a little pricey for me (on a budget). Anyway, if you do decide to move your AC compressor to the driver's side, make sure you adjust your wiring harness to do the same.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
giles70chevy

You can get dress up things for these too... I've been looking on Ebay at Corvette valve covers and fuel rail covers. I don't know this for sure, but I don't see why they won't work on our motors too. If it does work, I will cover the Corvette wording up with some kind of custom piece. There are also stainless covers out there that look nice too....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-96-Corvet...6389e8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impala-SS-Ca...0c2fd4&vxp=mtr

You can also make covers like these yourself. It can't be that hard to do. It's just flat sheet metal with 1-2 bends, and 2 holes per side for mounting. Nice paint or powdercoat and you'll have some nice fuel rail covers.....
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
JWheeler331

Yeah, I see there are lots of things to do and consider with these motors.

My truck right now does not have ANY air condition. I will be getting the whole car though so I can sell the parts that I dont need to possibly help with other expenses.

I asked my dad who lives on the same property if it was a Six Speed and he seems to think it is an Automatic.....so I may have been wrong on the tranny. Still not a bad deal though.....for just the price of hauling it off I get a nice LT350 plus and bunch of parts to sell.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
very clean.
Here's mine. '95 Corvette LT1 in my '66 1/2-ton Stepside.

Get the whole car. Use the ECM and modify the wiring harness from it. Definitely get the Factory Service Manual for the donor car. Sell or throw away what you don't use. Take your time. It's not particularly difficult, but there are a TON of details to consider.
I bought a lightly-totaled, low-mileage car and used everything that I could from it.
Started it for the first time last Friday, BTW.

They sure do look nice and clean under the hood.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
Looking4shade

I found a Impala SS been sitting around for seven years . It was at a Upholstery shop Where the owner pharmaceutical salesmen got arrested . The car was definitely A whoop tee Car but A friend got a good deal on the whole car. Motor mount Stands,transmission Crossmember came out of 86 pick up. you do have to Notch the frame on the right side for the air-conditioner Clearance. The only wiring issue I had was Mitchell on demand had the o2 Sensors wires backwards in the diagram. Took half a day to figure that out. The fuel lines worked real good Four moving gas tank in the rear all i had to do was change it to Fit the gas tank. Got most of the money back for scrapping the rest of the car. It will do a burnout and get 15 miles to the gallon. Very good choice for a budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by Looking4shade; 06-17-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Looking4shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
kieth

LT1 BURB PROVIDED ME WITH THIS INFO AND THIS IS WHERE WE GOT OUR AC COMPRESSOR RELOCATION KIT. THIS ALLOWS THE USE OF STOCK MOTOR MOUNTS FOR OUR TRUCKS. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU LT1 CAMARO ENGINE USERS.......KIETH

http://www.bowersrodshop.com/old/pulley_window2.htm

http://www.bowersrodshop.com/old/info_pulley_j.htm
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
giles70chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4shade View Post
I found a Impala SS been sitting around for seven years . It was at a Upholstery shop Where the owner pharmaceutical salesmen got arrested . The car was definitely A whoop tee Car but A friend got a good deal on the whole car. Motor mount Stands,transmission Crossmember came out of 86 pick up. you do have to Notch the frame on the right side for the air-conditioner Clearance. The only wiring issue I had was Mitchell on demand had the o2 Sensors wires backwards in the diagram. Took half a day to figure that out. The fuel lines worked real good Four moving gas tank in the rear all i had to do was change it to Fit the gas tank. Got most of the money back for scrapping the rest of the car. It will do a burnout and get 15 miles to the gallon. Very good choice for a budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
What fuel tank did you use? Also, do you have any pics of your AC compressor? I was curious how much you had to notch the frame.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
LT1 BURB PROVIDED ME WITH THIS INFO AND THIS IS WHERE WE GOT OUR AC COMPRESSOR RELOCATION KIT. THIS ALLOWS THE USE OF STOCK MOTOR MOUNTS FOR OUR TRUCKS. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU LT1 CAMARO ENGINE USERS.......KIETH

http://www.bowersrodshop.com/old/pulley_window2.htm

http://www.bowersrodshop.com/old/info_pulley_j.htm

Thanks for the links.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
Looking4shade

Gas tank out of a 87 to 90 Jeep Wrangler 4 Cylinder. It's only 15 gallons so only get 200 miles per tank. The tank and the sending unit was around $200 from flea-bay. Frame has a half inch solid square tubing welded to the bottom side of The notch For strength but I don't really think you need it. We used to do this on the imca modify Race cars around the spring bucket on the chassis. It Worked very well in a crash. You might be able to Google The chassis and get a picture of the spring bucket .You just frame it out with tubing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Looking4shade

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
giles70chevy

Thanks for the info and the pics...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
JWheeler331

Im about 300 miles from the car but my father lives right there nearby so I had him go by and take a few pictures. He forgot to take one of the main thing......THE MOTOR.

But.....you can see, it has plenty of usable parts to sell and help cover some of the cost of rebuilding the LT1350. I was wrong though and it is an Automatic Tranny.

Anyone know what Transmission would have been in this car?