The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Mike's money pit

1972 Highlander on Nashville Craigslist - not mine

Here is an ad for a 1972 Chevrolet Highlander on the Nashville craigslist. It is an Atlanta truck, and I believe atlanta did not list the special promotion group codes on the spid. I believe it has all three option groups, A, B, and C. It is that cool medium bronze color. Here is the link:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4293184471.html

Enjoy,
Mike
Attached Images

Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 1972 Highlander on Nashville Craigslist - not mine

As it presents, its a Highlander plaid trim truck not a Highlander promo package/savings truck. If it does not have a YG6-8 on the SPID then it is not a promo truck. Its important to remember that most options could be had with a plaid truck and it is very possible that someone would order the same equipment as the packages offered. They were popular options!

Just to clarify on package trucks, the groups built on each other collectively. So its understood a "B" (YG7) included the equipment of "A" (YG6) and a "C" (YG8) included everything in both "B" and "A".
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Mike's money pit

Well, I learned something new. Not that it matters, but I am wondering though if the Atlanta trucks called out for the various options groups on the SPID? Was that something that was consistent regardless of the manufacturing location? I would be interested to see some other Atlanta trucks with the SPID codes for the Highlander option .
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
SS Tim

Lets try this.
On the SPID a Highlander plaid vehicle will have the Z62 Custom Deluxe trim code (Z84 for a Blazer).
It will also have a plaid trim code (see below).

Additionally,
If the truck is a promotional package truck it will have one of the codes YG6, YG7 or YG8 on the SPID.

Remember the Highlander plaid trim was a stand alone $68.00 option that only changed the interior colors and added carpet!
While promo package trucks included the Highlander trim, they added various other options, combined, for a retail savings.

As far as Atlanta not using the YG6-8 codes, that is very very unlikely. While I do not have the first production date or availablility of a promo package trucks, the plaid trim was offered at the begining of the 72 model year(August 71).

My collection of Atlanta assembled Highlander SPIDss is small and none are promo package Highlanders. But due to the small sample size it would be impossible to say they didn't code promo package trucks to the SPID with any degree of accuracy.

Pickups Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Avocado 613
Blue 611
Gray 604
Orange 618
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suburbans Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Avocado 647
Blue 642
Gray 639
Orange 651
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Blazer CST Z84 mandatory option
Avocado 680
Blue 677
Gray 671
Orange 686
Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Mike's money pit

Tim,
With the non-promo trucks, would you still always expect to see the black dash pad and the parchment belts and door panels. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Mike
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
SS Tim

Highlander Plaid trim codes All include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were always parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific code. So the ONLY variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.

So ANY Highlander trim truck will have all the interior changes.

If the truck happens to be a promo truck as well it will have the packages options added to the Highlander trim option.

Promo package codes

A= YG6 Plaid Trim (XXX), Special Wheelcovers C10 (PA1) or Chrome Hubcaps K10, K20, C20-30 (PO3), Chrome Front Bumper, Upper (Belt) Molding, Door Edge Guards and Below Eye-Line Mirrors. A $94.50 savings from seperate option prices.

B= YG7 (includes A) Adds Turbo-Hydramatic Trans., Power Steering and Tilt. A $178.50 savings.

C= YG8 (includes A and B) Adds A/C and Tint. A $260.50 savings.

Plus it may have any number of options beyond what the packages offered. That is how you see package trucks with lower molding for example. Package "A" (YG6) included the upper belt molding but most of the time the optional lower molding is also seen as is the deluxe two tone paint as a result of these options beeing ordered as well.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Steve Hafner

. . . .

Easier to read . . . this way !!!

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Chulisohombre

Much easier. I was twisting my neck to read The code listings.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote