The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I Don't Think I'm Going To Move My Fuel Tank

Since I'm doing a frame swap and cutting all the rust out of the cab, I had figured now would be the best time to do the "fuel tank under the bed" modification. I had planned on either a 1st Gen Camaro tank or a 1970 Chevelle tank. I was also going to modify the big ol' "farm truck" style rear bumper to make the filler neck come out under the tailgate with a flip down license plate. Either way, I will probably never have my truck stripped down this far (bare frame) again and this would be the perfect time for this mod.

The ONLY reason I was doing this is to keep fuel from sloshing out of the fuel filler neck in the stock location when making right hand turns with a full tank. I've always had to run these rigs with about 3/4 tank to keep from getting petrol all over the paint of the cab and bed side. Also I wanted to put speakers back behind the seat. But the 1972 Parts truck I got has kick panel speaker mounts so I'm thinking about just using those with new speakers. Not moving it for "safety" concerns.

But now I've been second guessing this modification and thinking about tossing the original tank back in the cab after all the body work is done. I've read some stuff as of late where cats have regretted moving their tanks out of the cab and others that have fuel delivery problems from moving the tank.

So now I'm torn. It would save me a lot of time and money to not move my tank... but have yet to find a fuel filler cap that doesn't leak fuel. Oh hells bells... what is a cat to do. Just venting...

Would love any input, good or bad, pro or con, about this swap. I'm all for factory stock. I just don't want fuel spilling down a new paint job...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
XwalkerX

Re: I Don't Think I'm Going To Move My Fuel Tank

i have an underbed tank on my truck with no issues.
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
jocko

I'd leave it stock, personally. If I added another tank, I'd treat it as an extra. That's just me. I'm not sure how much water the safety theory holds, but GM did move it for a reason.. Still, I'm leaving it in my cab.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Moved my in cab tank about 8-9 years ago and love it. Also did not move it because of the "safety" issues just wanted the room. Gave me room to use Jeff's (bigblock73 member) corner speaker mounts. Storage room behind the seat and get some crazy looks when I hang the gas hose over the side of the bed at the gas station.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
dennislbrooks

My tank is behind the seat and I have no regrets or issues. I wanted to keep a stock look.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Texasredneck69-C10

Mine is under the bed. Love the extra room in the cab, but then again I like nice subs behind the seat.
Texasredneck69-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Steve Cole

I had a '67 with the tank in the cab and a two foot long streak of missing paint just below the cap. With my 68 the tank is between my frame rails where it belongs, like every vehicle on the road. There is no reason you should have fuel delivery problems if installed correctly. Do yourself a favor and lose the tank in the cab and gain some much needed storage space behind the seat. I used my new found space for a 10" sub, two 6" speakers, two amps, crossovers and all the wiring needed. Just my .02
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
Steeveedee

I like the idea of getting rid of the tank in the cab. I have two saddle tanks already, but on a long drive to go camping (which I haven't done in this truck in 30+ years, when it still belonged to my FIL), I want the range. My brother had a '62 that he removed the tank from the cab and bolted a fuel cell under the bed between the tubs he put in for the monster tires. The fuel fill was like a tri-five Chevy- the left brake light rotated down to expose the cap.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #9
swamp rat

No issues here, i put a Boyd fuel cell in my K20, bent and routed the lines in the passenger side frame, never starved for fuel.

Biggest problem i had was the fuel cell i bought was for a 1/2T and the 3/4T frame is a bit taller so the mount flanges were not in the best place for my truck.

Most of the issues i read about were during fill up where the fill tube incorporates a vent tube, the vent tube usually has to be extended using a length of rubber hose, if you let that hose have a low spot or a dip its possible that gas can get burped into that spot creating a slow fill condition, keep it routed so it will self drain and no problem.

I think you could also do a search on Falcon and Mustang tanks as well for a rear fill. More options.

I moved mine mainly to create space in the truck, but i did get vaper smell off and on.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
trkfrk

By moving your tank under the bed, you're utilizing wasted space and gaining space in your cab, win-win in my opinion.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I had a '67 with the tank in the cab and a two foot long streak of missing paint just below the cap. With my 68 the tank is between my frame rails where it belongs, like every vehicle on the road. There is no reason you should have fuel delivery problems if installed correctly. Do yourself a favor and lose the tank in the cab and gain some much needed storage space behind the seat. I used my new found space for a 10" sub, two 6" speakers, two amps, crossovers and all the wiring needed. Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkfrk View Post
By moving your tank under the bed, you're utilizing wasted space and gaining space in your cab, win-win in my opinion.
And where does the spare tire go? GM engineers thought the whole thing through and made a place for everything to fit. A lot of paint has been ruined over a $15 gas cap. The only time I've had gas come out a bad cap is when I filled it up right before parking with the driver side down hill. Never had it leak while driving. The seal would have to be way past shot for that to happen. I figure the tank "belongs" where GM put it, and you can put it "where you like" if you want. I installed my first under bed tank in a pickup in '77, so don't get the idea I'm a stick in the mud on this. I also have a new Blazer tank install kit I may use on a truck to suit it's design. I have run great sounding stereos with speakers under the seat. I've driven pickups all my life, dealt with what space is there, and done just fine. Pickup means small cab in my mind. Extended cabs are what they came up with to get car people buying trucks. Car people need more space and want things more car like in a truck. They put skid plates under 4wd Blazer/Suburban tanks for a reason. Ever have a tank punctured while off road somewhere? Ever have that happen going over a rock creating a spark? I've seen it happen and the charred remained my still be out there, yet. Definitely a reduction in safety factor moving a tank up under the truck over leaving it safe in the center of the truck surrounded by a cage. The reason tanks were moved up under the truck along the frame rails is because they came out with the crew cab. Tanks had been in cabs all along up till then, in all makes and models.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
primetime

I thought about moving the tank out the cab and into the bed right up against metal 'head board'. standing as it would in the cab, but below the rear glass. maybe an enclosure could be placed to protect it from objects in the bed sliding into it. i have a wood bed so i see that being altered a little so that the tank tucks into place nicely.
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #13
Mmorgan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
And where does the spare tire go? GM engineers thought the whole thing through and made a place for everything to fit. A lot of paint has been ruined over a $15 gas cap. The only time I've had gas come out a bad cap is when I filled it up right before parking with the driver side down hill. Never had it leak while driving. The seal would have to be way past shot for that to happen. I figure the tank "belongs" where GM put it, and you can put it "where you like" if you want. I installed my first under bed tank in a pickup in '77, so don't get the idea I'm a stick in the mud on this. I also have a new Blazer tank install kit I may use on a truck to suit it's design. I have run great sounding stereos with speakers under the seat. I've driven pickups all my life, dealt with what space is there, and done just fine. Pickup means small cab in my mind. Extended cabs are what they came up with to get car people buying trucks. Car people need more space and want things more car like in a truck. They put skid plates under 4wd Blazer/Suburban tanks for a reason. Ever have a tank punctured while off road somewhere? Ever have that happen going over a rock creating a spark? I've seen it happen and the charred remained my still be out there, yet. Definitely a reduction in safety factor moving a tank up under the truck over leaving it safe in the center of the truck surrounded by a cage. The reason tanks were moved up under the truck along the frame rails is because they came out with the crew cab. Tanks had been in cabs all along up till then, in all makes and models.
I filled up with gas the parked at a slight down hill on the drivers side. I had gas pouring out. I went a bought a $15 gas cap from early classic ( it's 5 min from my house) hasn't done it since.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
Davidf

I did a complete ground up restoration on my '52 Advanced Design 1/2 ton and left the tank behind the seat...no fuel smell or leaking issues if done right. So, the tank on my '71 will stay behind the seat as well. I had the leaking cap issue when I first purchased, bought a replacement cap but fuel still leaked. I used a piece of scrap EPDM roofing rubber and cut a new rubber seal for the cap. Place the new seal on top of the original cap seal and no more leaking fuel issues. Give it a try.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
davepl

Keep in mind that the fires, burns, and class action lawsuits happened AFTER they moved the tank from the cab to the saddle area.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thank you for all the replies. I'm still up in the air about it, but am leaning towards putting it back in the stock location.

I like the idea of "being different", but sometimes... leaving things alone is just as good.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Clavo106

Im planning on running dual exhaust out the back. So the tank is staying put..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
primetime

I will try this with the factory tank in the bed like this... i just have to find a method of protecting it from sliding objects in the bed. but it fits nicely.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
I will try this with the factory tank in the bed like this... i just have to find a method of protecting it from sliding objects in the bed. but it fits nicely.
Put one next to it facing the other way and you can fill dual tanks on either side. Now that the tank is out of the cab, can you use the extra cab space to carry the things that won't fit in your bed?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
primetime

actually i am thinking to weld a filler neck off from the other tank so that i would be able to fill the tank from either side of the gas pump. the tank has to be protected with a wall of metal or wood though. i'll work on making it pretty after it proves to be functional. it only takes one person to make it look good and be functional before everyone else jumps on board to copy it
Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #21
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
actually i am thinking to weld a filler neck off from the other tank so that i would be able to fill the tank from either side of the gas pump. the tank has to be protected with a wall of metal or wood though. i'll work on making it pretty after it proves to be functional. it only takes one person to make it look good and be functional before everyone else jumps on board to copy it
I like it ,you can always place another front panel in front of the tank fit it nicely and tack it in ,maybe even one of those Chevrolet stamped ones to pretty it up or the Bowtie one
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #22
CK67

Just ordered a spun aluminum fuel tank from ebay. BAM manuf. Will mount on flatbed behind cab. Could mount in bed if space is not an issue. My flatbed will not be used for hauling. Very nice tanks all sizes.
CK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #23
Thanos

Quote:
ZING!
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
ZING!
Win-win till you realize that wasn't wasted space at all, it was for your spare tire. Will that fit behind the seat where the tank was?

These trucks were win-win the day the engineers turned in their final designs.

Tim

Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Since I'm doing a frame swap and cutting all the rust out of the cab, I had figured now would be the best time to do the "fuel tank under the bed" modification. I had planned on either a 1st Gen Camaro tank or a 1970 Chevelle tank. I was also going to modify the big ol' "farm truck" style rear bumper to make the filler neck come out under the tailgate with a flip down license plate. Either way, I will probably never have my truck stripped down this far (bare frame) again and this would be the perfect time for this mod.

The ONLY reason I was doing this is to keep fuel from sloshing out of the fuel filler neck in the stock location when making right hand turns with a full tank. I've always had to run these rigs with about 3/4 tank to keep from getting petrol all over the paint of the cab and bed side. Also I wanted to put speakers back behind the seat. But the 1972 Parts truck I got has kick panel speaker mounts so I'm thinking about just using those with new speakers. Not moving it for "safety" concerns.

But now I've been second guessing this modification and thinking about tossing the original tank back in the cab after all the body work is done. I've read some stuff as of late where cats have regretted moving their tanks out of the cab and others that have fuel delivery problems from moving the tank.

So now I'm torn. It would save me a lot of time and money to not move my tank... but have yet to find a fuel filler cap that doesn't leak fuel. Oh hells bells... what is a cat to do. Just venting...

Would love any input, good or bad, pro or con, about this swap. I'm all for factory stock. I just don't want fuel spilling down a new paint job...

Gary
I modified my gas cap and it no longer leaks. Mine is a vented non-esc cap. All you need is an o-ring kit.I put an o-ring around the sealing face, then I stacked several o-rings behind the gasket on the cap. This gives it enough pressure on the gasket and additional sealing against the tank neck so I no longer have any leakage, even when full and turning hard right.

It did take a couple of tries to get a replacement cap with a vent that actually works right. And the o-rings wear out over time, so I do have to maintain them.

My issue with relocating the tank was the filler. I do not want the filler in the bed, and my fab skills don't support anything fancier....

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote