The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
drfloyd

"Buck" My '67 Ground Up Build

I've been putting off posting this build until I had some decent progress to report. This project started several years ago when I bought the C 20 from under a camper where it had spent it's entire life until I got it. Pair that with a separate C 10 frame that I acquired shortly after and a few years later I've started. The name has nothing to do with a four legged herbivore but is a tribute to my dad, who would have been all over this with me if he were here and able. I chose the C 20 cab because it is in such good condition. The pic that I will post makes it look rougher than it really is. It has some surface rust on the hood and fenders but as far as I can see thus far is solid besides that. I don't even have the cab in the shop right now as I am going to get the roller going and all fitted up, disassemble, powdercoat and reassemble. I've gone with all No Limit suspension, Wide Ride, Fatbar, Ridetech coilovers, R&P steering, center "cross" member, Moser housing with 3.73 gear, 31 spline axles, 5 x 4 3/4" slotted rotors, stock single piston disc brakes front and rear and standard height spindles. It will have a LQ 9 with a 4L60 or 80, I haven't decided that yet. So here goes, any input is welcome. This isn't an original restoration by any means but hopefully it will be a comfortable ride with plenty of power.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
drfloyd

Re: "Buck" My '67 Ground Up Build

This is the C 20 awaiting a makeover.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
drfloyd

I drove from South Carolina up to Dandridge, Tenn. to No Limit's facility to pickup all of my suspension. These are pics of Christmas in June.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
drfloyd

A few pics of WIP. This is the WideRide cross member after installation. It was quite a challenge but a great fit. This is all bolt on but will be welded as well. The frame rails will also be boxed in for added strength.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
drfloyd

I get bored quickly so I started working on the rear fitment as well. I originally received the wrong 4 link front brackets and Ron had to send me the correct ones. This is a pic of one of them in place but not bolted yet.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
drfloyd

This is close to unsprung height. I am getting mounting holes drilled and then cleaning, sanding and priming all mating surfaces that won't be accessible to the powder coat so that everything is well protected. This is it for now. Hopefully more progress tomorrow after grass cutting. Next week will be a no progress week as I am traveling for work all week.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
drfloyd

Finished the front 4 link brackets this morning. need to get the upper coilover mounts in place and welded as well as the panhard bar mount. That should about finish the rearend. Then it's on to the NL cross member. I will need to set the pinion angle after I get the LS and 4L60 shell housing in place. I need to come up with a set of 18" roller wheels to sit it on now.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
drfloyd

I managed to get all of the rear suspension bolted in place today and as I was lining up the panhard bar I noticed that the new 4 link brackets Rob sent me pushed the rear back off of centerline by about an inch, maybe an inch and a quarter. It wouldn't be that much of a deal except I have my upper shock mounts drilled and bolted. Worse case, I may have to redrill them and shorten the 4 link bars. I plan to run this by Rob on Monday. I have a pic or 2 I can post and show what's going on.

I assembled the cross member and finished cutting out the old cross member. Seven rivets on each side. The new cross member is made to weld in to the frame boxing so I have that to do tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
raggedjim

Great work on the frame and suspension. How is your sheetmetal? Looks good in the fist pic, but I know how that can be!

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
drfloyd

Other than the surface rust on the hood and fenders the sheet metal is pristine. Now that said, I haven't been under it so I don't really know about the floors. This was a Colorado truck that lived it's entire life with a cab over camper on it so doors, windows, drip rails and the like are almost perfect. The passenger side inner fender is toast from the leaking battery syndrome but that's a small issue. I have to actually work next week but the following week I plan to get the cab out and off of the old frame. We'll see then what I have to work with. I have a bed that I really don't want to use so I'm looking for a solid bed. I'm going out to get some frame rail boxing done and hopefully get the X member in today. I will post some pics tonight.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
raggedjim

It's all repairable, hope it all goes well.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
drfloyd

Yea, the cab is of no concern to me. I am still working on getting the geometry correct on my suspension. After all is said and done with everything bolted in the correct location I am still an inch to an inch and a quarter too far back. I am planning to unbolt the forward 4 link brackets and move them up the required amount. Hopefully the coilover mounts will be good where they are. If not I will do the same with them. One thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how to put the rear housing together to finish my mock up prior to powder coating. I really don't want to install bearings and seals and then have to remove them later. But I do need to get the axles in place so I can get wheels on it and set everything at ride height.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
drfloyd

Gotten around to working on the build again and posting some info. I got all of the 4 link fitted and the geometry correct I think. Dropped the diff housing back out and going to the powdercoater next week when I get back from San Antonio. Hopefully by then I'll have the frame boxed and the Wide Ride all dry fitted so that I can get some rollers on it and see what the ride height will look like. I have to finish the boxing, get the No Limit X brace welded in, sit the LS/4L60 donner block/housing in for fit, run brake lines and exhaust. Once I do that the frame should be ready to powdercoat.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
drfloyd

Just a few pics to update. Got the frame boxed for the most part and the top side welded. The X Brace is in place and welded. Also got the Moser housing powder coated and put together. Next step is to fit the fuel cell in and C notch the frame for the filler. Then flip the frame and get the bottom side welded and ground.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #15
Goats86

Is than an old "Gary" grocery store safe in the back of the shop?
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
drfloyd

I'm not a safe expert, but I know that it came out of an old grocery store. I don't use it and it's really in my way. I was going to put a light in it and make the bottom a hot box to store welding rods but I don't stick weld hardly at all anymore so I trashed that idea.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
drfloyd

I have got to get some things on Craig's List. I have a drill press, a Miller HF welder, old parts washer, etc. Just a lot of unused stuff in my way.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #18
drfloyd

Trying to finish up the frame boxing on the rear portion of the frame. Before I can do that I had to get the fuel cell fabbed and fitted. I cut the C notch for the filler spout, made a 2" plate to weld to the inside of the frame rail, drilled all of the holes and tacked nuts to the plate. The nuts are tacked because once the frame is boxed and the tank is in place you can't get to the inside of the frame rails. I'll finish this up tomorrow and flip the frame so I can finish up the welding.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #19
mud.man.rj

Good for you on getting on the C20, I like your parts list, always trial and error to anything but looks like an interesting build, exciting seeing all the changes, keep at it.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
Farm Shop

Looks like a great project. Keep the pics coming.
Farm Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #21
drfloyd

Thanks guys. Working on completing the back end today. I'm having to go with a thinner metal to box the back section so the tank will clear the inside of the frame rails and not have to go inside the rails. It's close. I still scratch my head at the method of their madness with the different widths they made the rails and the curves and excess material. I'm having to trim here and there to get the boxing to lay in straight but in the end it is looking really good.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
drfloyd

Finished up the rear drivers side with the notch for the tank spout. Box plate is cut for the passenger side. A few minutes of welding and an hour of grinding the holes that I filled. I have to decide about a rear cross brace. I'm thinking of putting one on the back and integrating a receiver hitch. We'll see. I'm ready to finish welding and grinding and get the cab on and fitted.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #23
drfloyd

This showed up today. Nice piece for sure. Ordering the cables from Cable Controls as soon as I get them measured. The combiner bracket is on the way. Other two pics are my No Limit tank mocked up. Still have to figure out a rear cross brace before the flip. Then it's welding and grinding.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
Devil Pup

nice work on the tank.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
drfloyd

Thanks.