The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
UniqueOdyssey68

Project: UniqueOdyssey:'68C10-possibly one of the longest builds, unique stories..

Finally creating a build thread for this journey I've made more progress the past couple years than any other time. Reading more forums, checking out Instagram, YouTube, C10Talk, other podcasts, and of course as going to many show n' shines, custom shops as possible. That spurred the idea to start this thing. Even if the 'ol forums aren't as popular, this place is still awesome!

This will still be a SLOW thread/build. $$ & time constraints, but hope it helps keep me motivated, creates more passion for others as the hobby has for me. Moral of my story - never give up, never quit on your passions, projects no matter what life does or how long it takes! Life is full of bs, and passion, hobbies, are what get you through it.

The Story..the beginning:
Growing up, my family wasn't really into the hobby, but my dad was always fixing our family cars and other things around the house out of necessity. Blue collar, hard working, just making ends meet. Same goes for my aunts, uncles, cousins, all dairy farmers. Through the '90s, I learned by watching and helping fix stuff where I could. Always enjoyed how things worked, tools, cars, electronics, ham radio and computers. My adoptive parents seemed to support me as much as they could.

Through a family friend at the time, and some neighbors, I was introduced to hot rods, classic cars, trucks and shows. In the late '90s, attending shows each summer, I was hooked. I knew I wanted to start with a truck, fix it up as I started driving. But I still wondered, what it would take?, knowing I may not have much help, could I really do it myself, even with my physical disability? and lots of other curiosities.

Spring year 2000 - found this '68 C10 shortbed! Bought with my own $ earned from fixing computers & Christmas gift wrapping gigs Compared to their prices today, I got a deal! 283 V8/TH350, rollin' on 14s slotted US Mags!

My first vehicle - got my license and drove it until I had to have surgery before my senior year. Driven less than a year . Learned to walk all over again, for the 2nd time in life. After physical therapy, and recovery, I started taking things apart to fix, thinking it was cheap and easy to put them back together, without really knowing much about what I was doing
Attached Images

- long term project '68 C10 true shortbed! Resto-mod. LS swap. Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769919 "I've still kept this project truck when anyone else would've given up and sold it as is. Giving up is easy, staying the course is part of life's journey"

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 04:48 PM.
UniqueOdyssey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
UniqueOdyssey68

Re: Project: UniqueOdyssey:'68C10-possibly one of the longest builds, unique stories.

Being my first car - at the time, I had thought "this is awesome, I can learn this, fix it up nice, can't be that hard, I'll have it done by end of school"
Was in auto shop all through h.s. One of the best times of my life (auto shop). But I didn't get much done to the truck. Not enough time weekly to work on own projects compared to learning and working on customer's cars, getting through the bs of high school to graduate, surgery recovery, trying to figure out what I wanted to do in college.
2002-2003
Quickly learned the quirks and issues with the truck. Cut/heated coils, the drive and ride was crap, couldn't stop well, pulled to the right, engine smoked and knocked a little. Didn't take long and I was convinced by my mentors in the hobby, industry to "do it right" and after some time, the truck started being taken apart. I was really young, didn't know...that it would be a long process and hard to turn back from that point
Attached Images

- long term project '68 C10 true shortbed! Resto-mod. LS swap. Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769919 "I've still kept this project truck when anyone else would've given up and sold it as is. Giving up is easy, staying the course is part of life's journey"

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
UniqueOdyssey68

Re: Project: UniqueOdyssey:'68C10-possibly one of the longest builds, unique stories.

The truck was apart, the help and support I had at the beginning faded away from the realization that I made lots of mistakes tearing the whole thing down, not having a plan, much $, other resources to do anything with it. I remember thinking and saying "this sucks, but I still want to finish it someday, maybe when I'm done with school and making $$, I can buy my own place and get back at it"

But hey, I picked a color out - '99 Dodge/Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl (my fav color)

2004-2008
My priorities shifted as I had to save for college. Went to college to study the IT field. 2006 while in school, working at a great job where I thought I had my career path set. Then I experienced my first job lay-off/restructure. The truck sat in pieces, covered up with good 'ol blue tarps
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
UniqueOdyssey68

In addition to staying active in the show scene, viewing the social media builds, and tv shows, one popular build that has always fascinated me was Trucks tv project Copperhead I watched Trucks tv every week lol.

Mine will never be anything that good or insane lol, but still today it's provided the basic foundation phased plan for my build. Stacey David [born in Boise, ID] is a talented, cool, class act, hope to meet him someday.

I'm usually not into trends or always the latest thing. I like timeless, classics that regardless of what the current year is, the thing still looks cool! So this fad of 22-24+ inch wheels w/skinny tires on classic cars, classic trucks, just ruins the look and ride quality IMO Gotta have ample amount of rubber to meet the road for a good ride, and look natural
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
UniqueOdyssey68

Life always gets in the way. 2008-2009 was no different, but life was good! Graduated college, married my h.s. sweetheart (who also happens to have a physical disability), bought our small house, & had a 2 car shop built out back.

There went all $$ funds for the truck! At least the truck got its own place to stay dry and could hang out as long as it wanted to I never gave up on it!
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
UniqueOdyssey68

Little did I know how much work, $, time it was just to maintain an older house. Trucks on the back burner again

My career/jobs were challenging as well, changing places trying to find enjoyment and enough income (yea, right, in 2009-2011 during the recession).

2012 came and went, I experienced my 2nd job layoff/restructure, from a job that was extremely stressful, full of politics. Unfortunately same time when my wife lost her job. Wasn't a good time having no income, wiping out savings, paying bills, plus necessary medical expenses

But I did earn a little gig $, enough for some suspension rebuild when I landed another job.
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
UniqueOdyssey68

ECE kits. Good stuff.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
UniqueOdyssey68

Simple, reasonable front suspension, anti-sway bar, quick ration steering box, disc brake setup. Had to paint the calipers, Chevy orange!
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
UniqueOdyssey68

Had some momentum in 2014-2015 things were slow due to time and lack of energy. I realized just what my limits were, that I was in way over my head on the project. But I was too far in to just part-out/sell the damn thing. Then I wouldn't have much of a hobby or enjoyment with it anymore. At least I was doing this "the right way", I was told by several others Car shows, races, YouTube, stuff kept me going.

Had the original 12 bolt rear rebuilt by a good local shop, with a posi and 3.73 gears
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
UniqueOdyssey68

Still piece by piece progress, but they're damn good quality pieces

New rear trailing arm bushings, rear suspension drop, 5x5 axle conversion, Wilwood disc brake kit. Check out that original rear spring, heated+pancaked! What not to do!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I've been working on mine since 1992. Bought it in 1985. You are about caught up iwth me already! LOL Stick with it!! It will be a family member for a long time.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
UniqueOdyssey68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I've been working on mine since 1992. Bought it in 1985. You are about caught up iwth me already! LOL Stick with it!! It will be a family member for a long time.
haha! Thank you! It's really good to know I'm not alone in the slow lane, and hear other similar stories
Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
UniqueOdyssey68

Had a hard time deciding which way to go on the gas tank relocation. Seemed like the blazer style tanks would hang down to low for me. I wanted an easy install I was confident I could do myself without chasing parts (car model tanks). One that would last, I'd never have to worry about it.

Stainless Steel. $$pendy but worth it! Great fit, quality, good capacity. Easy removal of the rear brace and spare tire bracket (air chisel is your friend!). Easy install of tank, rear piece and hidden tow hitch.

Also picked up a set of 15 inch GM Rallys and old BFG tires on the cheap to have some rollers for the chassis.
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
slowcpe

Nice start. I’m catching up with you. I’m closing in on year 5 with no real progress. Heck I bought another truck so I could actually drive one.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
UniqueOdyssey68

2016 life was good, still full of ups and downs with energy and of course available time and funds.

At least at this point, the direction and plan for the project is set. 1. Building a truck that can be driven everyday in nice weather, reliable, comfortable. 2. have fun at shows, events and some short trips with. 3. Since it's just me building this thing, work on what I can physically with confidence, find a good, small local shop to do the other stuff, but willing to work in stages, at my pace/timeline.

Read a ton about LS based engines vs the old school small block. Was set on a 383 stroker torque monster crate engine. But mild LS just made more sense for the goals of the project. Found this gem - 5.3l out of a wrecked '06 Sierra, only 86k, super clean, & it's the L33 - H.O. All Aluminum version, which was limited in the GM trucks. Has the 799 heads. Jumped on that! Had it tuned & shipped. 350hp/torque is a good place to start
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #16
UniqueOdyssey68

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Nice start. I’m catching up with you. I’m closing in on year 5 with no real progress. Heck I bought another truck so I could actually drive one.
Haha! Yep, I know that feeling, so I ended up buying a little hot rodded, lowered, pretty blue, S10 pickup a few years ago. That way I'd have something to drive around, like a mini c10 lol. The justification was that way I would have a good parts hauler, it would fill the truck void perfectly. The wifey bought into it, she can drive it and even enjoys it
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Subbed

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
UniqueOdyssey68

Picked up some stock style shorty's on the cheap, had them ceramic coated at a local shop.

Last year (2017) found a small, talented custom fab shop to take on the cab rebuild that really needed to be done. I knew I couldn't do. Stripped it all, wasn't horrible, but more bondo and rust than I imagined. That shiny white lacquer paint looked pretty good from a distance lol.

Always blast your panels, saves $ in the long run.
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #19
UniqueOdyssey68

2017- Dynacorn, AMD sheet metal - new cab floor, rockers, toe boards, dash, roof skin w/insulation, windshield panel. Smoothed firewall. A LOT of metalwork by talented shop
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #20
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It's looking good

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #21
UniqueOdyssey68

Mock up time! custom mounts for new Silverado seats, B&M Quicksilver shifter, Flaming River (USA made!) tilt column, steering wheel, drive-by-wire gas pedal assembly.

Chassis gets ready to meet cab again. That 14 year old POR-15 chassis paint still looks good!
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #22
UniqueOdyssey68

2017 ended with yet my 3rd experience of having to look for work, still keeping my head up. Life sure is a rollercoaster.
Underside of cab Raptor lined! Makes a difference! Back at the home shop. Fortunately 2018 has been busy w/new job, been a great year. Not as much extra funds $ now for the truck, but still working on it little at a time. Hoping I can get the engine & trans mated, mounted in the frame soon, this fall. Look at the purty LS on the engine stand over there...Blue & Orange..for life and some shiny accents..
Attached Images

Last edited by UniqueOdyssey68; 08-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #23
Sweeet67

What part of Idaho are you in? I’m in Idaho falls.
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #24
slowcpe

Going to be a sweet truck. Jealous of the work on the cab.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #25
UniqueOdyssey68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeet67 View Post
What part of Idaho are you in? I’m in Idaho falls.
I'm in Boise.