The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #51
rowdy11

Re: Lola: My Moon Shot 70 SWB K10

More work done over the past couple of weeks.

I started to bend and install replacement brake lines. Front up to the brake partition are done and back lines are almost done. Waited on Saturday for a delivery from Inline Tube for the rear axle that didn't show up.

The final adjustment to my headers is complete, so last weekend and this weekend I coated the interior and exterior and re-mounted them. I expect some further adjustment once the cab is back on and we start to build final exhaust.

Cab and body continue to roll at an accelerated pace. Bed is starting to come back together as well.

Also worked on my two biggest issues this weekend: the transmission crossmember and the power steering pump. I'm fabricating an addition to the original cross member so I can keep the original cross member location and bolt holes. Should retain it's original strength and based on the design, distribute the weight of the trans/transfer case across the entire cross member properly.

Some may remember I was debating a new PS reservoir because of the conflict with the frame. Instead, we decided to cut and custom shape the reservoir to fit in a way that won't starve the pump. I decided to keep the original reservoir based on extra capacity. The picture shows a test fit this weekend, and we still have some small modifications to finish. The cut looks worse than it is, with only a small amount of the original area in the reservoir being truly lost.

Once those are done, I can finish engine assembly and mounting the rear of the drivetrain once and for all.

Next up: finish brake lines, fuel lines, and start on engine wiring. I hope to have the cab mounted back up in 4-6 weeks!
rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #52
rowdy11

Pics
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #53
rowdy11

And more pics.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #54
rowdy11

Test fit and finalized welding for the trans cross member with the custom mount. Looks almost...stock with paint! Finalizing the transfer case mount as well...should be pretty slick.

Still working on brake lines and almost done with the power steering pump reservoir.

Also received my steam port kit in the mail, ready to get the engine buttoned up.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #55
cornerstone

I believe it's safe to say your transmission isn't going anywhere with your mounts design.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #56
rowdy11

Thanks Cornerstone. A lot of thought went into the design. The trans energy mount sits on the back half of the trans crossmember, as you can see from the mount holes. I wanted something that would shed some of the weight from the trans/transfer case to the middle and front of the crossmember as well. I also boxed it so that it would withstand any twisting from the drivetrain.

If it breaks, I guess I can ask myself for my money back .
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #57
rowdy11

Thanks to growing Covid isolation, I had a good block of time to get some stuff done. Buttoned down the rear brake lines once and for all (until I replace my rear differential cover). I think it turned out pretty good.

I also finished customizing my trans cross member and transfer case to frame mount. I'm glad I was able to use existing pieces in existing frame holes, and I think it looks pretty solid.

Now that it's all buttoned-down, up next: finish my fuel line, finish my engine accessories and steam port, and start working on the trans cooler lines, as well as mount the radiator support. I'm excited to get the radiator support because it's going to be the first piece with the final body paint color!

And yes, I'm going to change out the ugly transmission pan soon
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #58
rowdy11

And the finished product...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #59
rowdy11

Took the time with some social distancing to finally do a once over on my 6L90 and change out that nasty pan and gasket.

Metal shaving magnet in the pan was as clean as a whistle, no metal shavings or shards to speak of. Fluid was really clean too. Amazing what regular oil changes and a trans cooler will do!

New pan/gasket and some touch up. Fuel line, I'm coming for you next!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #60
rowdy11

Arrggghhh...I'm a bit behind on posts! More social distancing work getting done, although it's slower than I would like since I'm finishing a basement at the same time. Here's a quick hit list of things done:

1. Started and almost finished my fuel system from the tank...I decided I love connecting AN fittings almost as much as I love bending hard line...it relaxes me for some strange reason. Now I just have to decide where I run the final stretch from the right side from over and up to my fuel rail.

Huge shout out to Travis at Pro Performance. I bought the Boyds tank with a fuel line and regulator kit and it came with everything I needed/worked perfectly.

2. Steam port kit is installed and ready to connect to my DeWitts radiator.

3. I cleaned up my intake, painted it up, replaced the injectors/MAF sensor, and have it finally bolted down to the engine. I tried buying new intake bolts but they didn't fit...so I had to go back to my original bolts - typical of this project. Two steps forward, one step back.

4. I got the radiator core support back from Cio with the final color on it...and dang the pitctures just don't do it justice! It's going to look really good. Mounted it up and had grand plans to mount the radiator this weekend, but I realized my DeWitts radiator needs the HD mounts to work...so I have to order those.

5. I finally gave in on the power steering pump and decided to go with a remote reservior. It's going to be a lot of connection when I think about the hydroboost plus the cooler added into the entire system as well.

Does everyone use PTFE for pressurized lines? Would love some suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #61
rowdy11

Some more pictures...I love seeing others pics as they have helped me so much, want to share in return.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #62
MDPotter

That is a beautiful core support!

I'm using Earl's Vapor Guard hose for fuel lines and hydraulic hose for power steering lines.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #63
72 tigger

Making good progress! Support is nice
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #64
rowdy11

Thanks Potter and Tigger. I appreciate the recommendation!

Got the drivelines done and installed.

Also, bed is put together and firewall is almost finished up. Cab floor and corners will be next.

After some cleaning up, I got my DeWitts radiator into the mounts the way I want it to fit. I still have to actually mount my remote reservior...working to do that in a way that keeps it low in the engine bay and does minimal damage to the accessories mount it's bolting to. I can then finalize measurements for cooling and pressure lines for steering, trans and engine.

So much progress but it feels so far away from being done...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #65
Wellmerling

Subscribed! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #66
rowdy11

Work is still going but slow...planning for a wedding and finishing up a basement...life doesn't stop even though I'd love to just focus for 4-5 months straight and get it done!

A few pics of the progress:
Finished mounting the remote PS reservoir, got my accessories belted up, finished fabricating and mounting my transfer case shifter, which I'm particularly proud of. And got started on cooling lines plumbing as well as AC condenser and mounted my steering cooler.

Lots done but so very far to go...man this is a marathon.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #67
rowdy11

More pics...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #68
Wide Open

Your truck is really coming along nicely!

What plastic fuel tank did you originally have and why did you decide to swap it out with the aluminum one?

Is it an internal or external pump? On my phone I can’t tell what the Holley unit is bolted to the frame near the tank
2007 Escalade
Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #69
jjzepplin

You are doing a fabulous job! Love the youngins helping out! I can't tell from the pics but I am concerned about the travel on the slip joint on the front driveshaft. It looks a bit compressed. If you hit a good bump and that bottoms out it could be catastrophic to your beautiful combination. I had mine built by Tom Woods and he installed extra length slips and upgraded Cardan Joints and a bunch of other mods. Expensive but worth every penny. I only say this because even though I have a truck ton of slip joint, I totaled the truck and bent the frame slamming the joint and broke my adapter between the case and the trans. No bigge for me but for yours $$$. I trail drove my rig through the Rubicon though so I needed the travel. Keep plugging! This thing is wicked!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #70
TA_C10

Subscribed. Looking great man.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #71
rowdy11

Hey Wide Open, appreciate the note. I attached a pic of the original tank. I never could identify the original manufacturer of that plastic tank, no markings whatsoever and the original tank swap must have been done years ago. I swapped because I wanted something flatter along the bottom, and knew I wanted a cleaner in-tank pump system. The Boyds tank has an Aeromotive steath 340 in tank pump. And the Holley unit you see in the frame rail at the rear is a regulator/filter in one (12-875).

JJ thanks for the encouragement and heads up on the slip joint. You can see a more dedicated picture of both the front and rear...I do NOT want that problem. One thing I've thought about as I've considered this is my suspension right now is fully extended. All new leaf springs, shocks, and not much on the frame right now except the engine. Plus, up front my suspension is extra stiff (something I have to solve later) due to the steering stabilizer with the dana 44. So...will the drive shaft extend any further? Possibly. It won't be doing anything remotely close to the Rubicon or (in my case) Behind the Rocks in Moab. It may not even see dirt the way this build is going! What do you think based on your experience? Sorry about your experience by the way.

And TA, appreciate the quick note and welcome. It's good to see that people are getting something out of this. It's easy to get discouraged and I've been picked up by others I've met here and personally as well.

After way too long, time for an update. I've been out with a son's wedding this summer, a basement remodel, a condo remodel, and some unexpected changes at work. Pile all that together with the Covid we are all dealing with, and it's been a really crappy year. I'm glad to be getting back to business now that this other stuff is settling down.

So where are we? Still working on the doors and cab. It's been more work than expected and Maricio has been slowed down with covid related stuff too.

And...I'm back to trying to figure out if I can move away from the remote reservoir for my steering system. I don't love it. I uninstalled my pump to try a modified setup yesterday that included a pump with reservoir attached, and it didn't work. So I went back to the drawing board and installed the original remote system again. So much for clean hydroboost plumbing. At least the system will be robust turning these 35-inch tires. Do and undo.

I'm also trying to figure out how to hide my LS wiring harness. The L96 is awesome but has an ugly intake and wiring that drapes right over the top of the motor. Ugh. The plan was to break the main trunk apart and hide the wiring more effectively. So I got into the harness and it was a mess...and I had to put that back together because it's too intertwined to separate the main trunk. I'm using the original harness...worth a thousand bucks to get a new one that tucks more effectively around the engine? Probably not. That said, I think i can use a couple of pigtail extensions for the alternator and MAF in order to push the trunk from the top and side of the intake to the back and at least tuck it back there by the firewall. More do and undo.

So a bit of a waste but at least I'm back. And I did get a new Wilwood master cylinder and hydroboost unit I'm going to put together. Excited about the setup.

I also ordered all my interior over black Friday from TMI. It's going to be awesome once I get it all put together!
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #72
gmc684x4

Nice work that motor looks like it came with the truck
Looking forward to pulling the ls for my lowrider in the next new months
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #73
tutone

I had to come check out your thread , really nice work. It is always a pain in the rear retrofitting anything with newer components. You have done a great job.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #74
rowdy11

Hey guys. Thanks for popping in and for the compliments.

My son had a fender bender so we used the last two weeks of truck time over the holiday pick and pulling parts and putting his car back together. Always something else taking time away.

This year this project has been like watching snails race. I spent two hours today de-pinning a fuel injector connector and expanding it by 6 inches...6 inches...so I can slide the rest of my harness backward off of the top of my intake and to the back. I realized how crazy I am...the extra work is all for visual appeal, not functionality. I think sometimes I've lost my mind. I'm also using some cool ICT billet harness extensions for the cam position sensor, the alternator and MAP. Plug and play...guess I'll find out how well they work when I fire the engine.

That said, I test wired the entire harness around the engine today and it looks SO much better than it did. I can't leave it in place of course, because I have to run it through my firewall forward to the engine once I'm ready for final placement. Wiring now and running backward, I wouldn't have a big enough hole in the firewall to fit the connections to the ECM. And frankly, I don't have a location for the hole in the firewall identified yet....that comes after I test fit.

Speaking of which, the new cab floor is finally permanently in place and welded. Doors have been cleaned inside (replaced the skin on one as well) and getting final clean up welds done.

To say the cab has been a pain in the @#&!*^!_!*@!#%* is an understatement. It's now clean, rust free, and bondo free as well! It's finally ready for doors, final alignment, and primer and blocking.

And also...I received the first of what will be more shipments from TMI. Seat bracket is the first of my new interior from those fine folks. Snail steps...snail steps.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #75
rowdy11

Rest of the pics
Attached Images