The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
toolboxchev

Best Dual Battery Setup

Looking to do some upgrades for my vehicle. I have done some research with Dual Batts and most say to use an Isolater in the system. Will also be doing an Alt upgrade (internally regulated) have not decided which unit to use. 12 SI, CS 130, 144.

Lets see some pics of your setup and any suggestions for a mostly or fully bullet proof system.

Thanks in advance
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Best Dual Battery Setup

Many, many years ago My buddy, My brother-in-law and myself all bought houses within a year of each other. We quickly found out how much a homeowner needs a truck. None of us were willing to sell our muscle cars so we decided to pool our little bit of cash not sucked up by the houses and buy a truck.

Sounds easy but in reality, no. Good running trucks in Atlanta were very expensive. Bad running trucks were just costly. Trucks that centered an oak tree at 40 MPH and had it's 454 and trans removed seemed to be the right price. $200
We rebuilt the 78 3/4 Camper Special out of Atlanta's Pull a Part and got it running for just under $1100. We called it Snaggle Truck.

We would use it on weekend and schedule it out for use between us. When we had nothing else to do, we would go to Pull a Part and snag items and options to make it LOADED.

One of things we saw in the yard was a truck with a dual battery set up. So I started to think how we could put this into Snaggle Truck. We decided that it would be an isolated system that would be triggered by a switch under the dash and would, essentially "Jump Start" itself should we ever need it. Other wise the second battery would be "isolated" but still would still charge once the truck was running.

Here is the original set up.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Wgesnerjr

Here is the dual Battery system I concocted.

I used Stock Dual battery relay that looked an awful lot like a Fan Blower relay and a Ford starter solenoid. We got several battery cables from various other GM cars and cut and spliced ends on them.

Finally I used the 4WD light in the dash and made a say, "Aux Batt" when the switch was flipped.

You would not believe how many times we would be working on it and kill the battery. Then just hit the switch and VROOM, it would just start up.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Looking to do some upgrades for my vehicle. I have done some research with Dual Batts and most say to use an Isolater in the system. Will also be doing an Alt upgrade (internally regulated) have not decided which unit to use. 12 SI, CS 130, 144.

Lets see some pics of your setup and any suggestions for a mostly or fully bullet proof system.

Thanks in advance
well first of all, let's start with the purpose of your upgrade..

added cranking power needed - diesel swap maybe?
camper appliances and accessories?
emergency lighting?
offroad accessories, high power lighting, winch, etc.?

different applications may be optimized in different ways however almost all apps will work better with an isolator..

speaking of which, I highly recommend the solenoid type of isolator over the diode type.. diode types fail overwhelmingly more than solenoids.. as a matter of fact, most of my guys replace the diode type with either surepower or cole-hersee solenoids when they're in the shop..
Old 06-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #5
SilverMiner

Killer Bee asks the critical question - what is the purpose for the dual batteries? Different purposes require slightly different solutions.

Regardless, I can highly recommend the solutions provided by Hellroaring Technologies. I've used their products in multiple vehicles for nearly 30 years now and despite being pricey I've found their reliability to be very much worth it.

Their product is a diode solution and Killer Bee doesn't like them and prefers solenoids, but I have had the opposite experience. The diodes have never failed me over multiple decades. BUT the good thing about the solenoid solution is there is a rather good chance of finding a replacement on the shelf at the only auto store open in Green River Wyoming on a weekend while if the diodes die you've got to go back to the supplier. But fortunately I never have had to do that with the Hellroaring product.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:49 AM   #6
toolboxchev

When I will be more clear. And thanks for the responses, I thought I was on the right track with the solenoid thing. Some are adding some type so smart switch on top of that. I do not know what to call it. Maybe its a bunch of diodes in a electric box.

My needs are future, and for the experience in electricity without foolishness. Maybe a winch. I understand they can cook some wiring if not done correctly. More Lights, a good sound system. Maybe lots of lighting and Camping in mind.

Ability to upgrade electrical system after Dual Battery installation is the main theme.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 AM   #7
Richard

Ran a dual output alternator in my 85 with a power hungry sound system. Nice thing about it is that no external isolators or relays were required. Actually still have it in a box with the install instructions. The problem with a solenoid is that if one battery fails it will take the other battery out sooner.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote