The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Grandpa's 72 restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=727004)

allchevy58 05-06-2021 09:22 PM

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Looking real nice, great job.

landarts 05-07-2021 08:07 AM

Snake72, truck is looking great and I can see your are almost there. Excellent work on the truck and honoring your grandpa. I noticed that the seat you have in the truck has a very nice seat cover. Is that original or did you buy it somewhere? If so what was the experience?

Snake72 05-07-2021 09:28 AM

The seatcover is a houndstooth cover I bought from Brothers, $299 I think. Very happy with the fit and quality, nice snug fit without wrinkles. Went over the original foam.

But, the houndstooth is original to cheyennes and supers I believe, my custom deluxe had a different pattern in the fabric that I could not find reproduced, SMS possibly has material and I may look into that in the future.

69Tom 05-11-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake72 (Post 8918061)
The seatcover is a houndstooth cover I bought from Brothers, $299 I think. Very happy with the fit and quality, nice snug fit without wrinkles. Went over the original foam.

But, the houndstooth is original to cheyennes and supers I believe, my custom deluxe had a different pattern in the fabric that I could not find reproduced, SMS possibly has material and I may look into that in the future.

Not sure what color yours was original, but this should be correct for your truck. You can call and ask for a sample.

https://carsinc.com/seat-cover-set-b...oth-10129.html

Snake72 06-01-2021 09:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress continues. Ran the rear tail light harness, a reproduction from M&H.
I have been very happy with the quality of their harnesses. Took a bit of trial and error figuring out the correct way to run the wires, had to drill a couple ground bolt holes. New tail light buckets and lenses. Decided the original side marker lights just looked too trashy with new paint and I installed the cheyenne style divided marker lights. Not correct for this truck but I think they look better. May go with van marker lights in the future but these will work for now.
Tailgate mounted and somehow didn't scratch any paint, happy day.

The new tailgate and tail light trim went on well, had previously made a template from my old bedsides for tail light bezel clip holes and transferred that to the new sides, drilled holes prior to paint. Fit was good enough, but not great. For the center trim piece above the latch handle I had to drill 2 new holes in fresh paint, nerve racking to say the least, but taped it up really well and measured and marked 5x before drilling, went perfect.

For the longer trim pieces I used 3M double sided moulding tape, stuff is crazy sticky. From my research everyone says it works great. Really don't want to have to drill a ton of holes if the 3M tape works. Test fit several times and applied tape directly to backside of trim. It sticks incredibly well, immediately, so there is no "wiggle room" when applying to painted surface. Time will tell on durability but I'm very happy with it. Planning to use 3M tape with lower side trim as well.

Also installed new side mirrors and backing plates. Not a one person job, you really need someone to hold the mirror while attaching backing plate, but I managed. I used my busted up old mirrors to transfer screw holes to new door skins prior to paint, but the new mirror screw holes were waaay off compared to OE. Had to enlarge holes, got it done.

landarts 06-01-2021 09:39 AM

Looks great, time for that truck to hit the pavement and give back even more memories. Excellent work on the truck.

Ol Blue K20 06-01-2021 09:53 AM

Looking good, you're almost done.

Snake72 07-26-2021 11:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Small wins. Back glass installed easily, even with the stainless trim. Used precision gasket. Just hoping I don't shatter the windshield with install, go slow and have patience.

Also finished up little things, new reverse light buckets, license plate light, bed ground straps, etc. The list is getting smaller. Should be on the road by the end of summer/fall.

68Gold/white 07-26-2021 03:12 PM

I use WD40 with these type glass installs.

Snake72 07-26-2021 06:13 PM

So we used foaming glass cleaner for lube, worked great. I was concerned with WD40 or silicone spray leaving an oily residue in case I needed windshield sealer for corner leaks and it may not stick?

68Gold/white 07-26-2021 06:27 PM

The window cleaners I've used, were not slick enough, for me. WD is pretty inert stuff. It will eventually evaporate, and can be cleaned up easily.
One thing to NEVER use in a body shop, is that spray silicone lubricant. Some of the components are lighter than air. It will float around your shop and land on a surface to be painted. Many bad words after trying to paint..........

Snake72 11-29-2021 11:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Still chipping away at the old truck, interior is put back together minus door sills and getting wrinkles out of the carpet. The new arm rests are way too bright blue, might try to dye them for a closer match to medium blue.

I put on the restored lower molding. I've had this trim done for years just waiting. It was pretty mangled when I took it off, straightened it the best I could and used satin black car wrap material instead of paint. I expect it to hold up pretty well but time will tell. To install the molding I used new plastic clips, removed the double sided tape the clips came with, and instead used 3M molding tape on the clips. This stuff has some serious adhesion.

Also mocked up white steelies and hub caps, gonna look great with new BFGs!

rustytruck50 11-30-2021 05:02 PM

Love this truck!!!!

Graham57a 11-30-2021 05:46 PM

Absolutely beautiful truck, I love the factory restoration. You are getting really close!

Louisvillekytruck 11-30-2021 06:31 PM

Nice truck

Snake72 12-01-2021 11:30 AM

Thanks guys, its getting close! Big ticket items yet to finish: Install windshield, new tires on the white steelies, bleed brakes again, engine break in. There are a few small things to tie up but otherwise this truck should be finished up sometime after Christmas. I'm sure I'll have all sorts of leaks and little gremlins to chase

Snake72 07-11-2022 11:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Haven't updated in a while, been a very busy spring and summer. Recently got the windshield installed with no issues. Watched a couple videos and read some threads here. Original glass, original trim, and I was nervous....fortunately my dad and I were able to get it in. Still have to bleed brakes and get engine broken in but it's getting closer.

Also, currently building a new shop at my house. 32x42 and hope to have it done by fall. My dad gave my brother and I his '56 shortbed that my great grandfather bought new. This truck will be staying patina with original paint but will get some nice upgrades. Will be bringing down my 72 and the 56 when shop is complete!

MDPotter 07-11-2022 12:17 PM

You have some cool trucks in your family. Congrats on the new shop!

68bowtie 07-11-2022 03:06 PM

Original black paint since 1956?? WOW! That’s cool. Worthy of a video documented refurb… ;)

bwl101 07-11-2022 03:28 PM

Awesome process! The truck is looking great! Can't wait to see that '56 cleaned up as well!

Snake72 07-11-2022 04:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yeah that's OG '56 black paint, 235 inline with oil bath air cleaner, 3 on the tree. Most of the metal work will be inside the cab, couple holes to fix, lower door hinge pocket repair, cab steps. But my goal is to save absolutely as much factory paint and sheet metal as possible. I'd like a T5 trans swap for drivability, power disc brakes, rebuild steering box, etc. Maybe a Sids drop axle. But probably staying 235 power. CLR bath, meguires and buff paint.

The trucks name has always been RIP. He sat for 20 years in a machine shed on same farm my blue truck came from. My dad got it running and driving well and used it when I was growing up, but has sat in his shop for another 20 years. Will be a FUN project!

68Gold/white 07-11-2022 05:21 PM

Wow, that 56 is nice!!!
Tell us more!!!

It would be nice to make it more user friendly.
There are so very few of that era that are stock, anymore. It's your vehicle AND America is still a free country, SO we will all be thrilled with whatever direction you take!!!
Thanks, again!!!
Jeff

Snake72 07-11-2022 05:37 PM

This will not be a restoration or a hot rod LS swap on bags, even though those are way cool. I want this direction to be preservation, safety and drivability

Ol Blue K20 07-11-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake72 (Post 9100267)
This will not be a restoration or a hot rod LS swap on bags, even though those are way cool. I want this direction to be preservation, safety and drivability

I like the direction you're headed. :metal:

68Gold/white 07-12-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9100287)
I like the direction you're headed. :metal:

Me too!!!:metal: