The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   It’s Just A Pickup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=318544)

Bruce88 02-04-2010 01:06 AM

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

2 Attachment(s)
Finding room to build or just a early spring clean up
I envy the guys with large shops and room to work on things with out having to move things around just to work and places to store things (there never seems to be enough room regardless of shop size) (smile)

As I’ve been stripping the old cab of all the parts that I will be using. Its reached the time for me to definitely gain room and access to other areas that will need work. I new from the beginning of this build that the old cab would not be used because of all the major rust in it, but preferred to keep it inside until all the parts where stripped from it to prevent any additional damage to the parts from the weather and outside elements.

The old cab is removed from the frame and relegated to the back yard awaiting a time in the future for it’s trip to the scrap yard. Anybody in the area wanting to cut peaces for their build from it are more than welcome (free). It’s a must see in person to determine if a chunk of it might be use full for your build (no I’m not going to make the call or ship any part of it) PM me if you want to come over and see if there’s anything you think you could use from the cab. The cab is completely stripped to include the dash the only thing left in it is the gas tank broke front window and back window.

Attachment 542915

With all the welding and grinding of late the shop is a total mess, the grinding dust gets every where. Being a relatively nice day and having some friends over rolled the truck outside and pulled the cab and before rolling the frame back in cleaned and did some reorganizing. Yes it will be a mess again soon but it’s always nice to continue the build in a relatively clean shop [I use the word relatively in a very lose way (smile)]

Attachment 542914

With all the associated passenger rocker panels now welded in and a small amount of grinding left to do on the rocker it’s definitely a needed brake from fitting, welding, and grinding. I only see a few other items that will need welding like installing the dash but Ill get to that later.

A form member (lyrikz) came over and picked up a free bench seat from me today. Glad to see that it found a new home with somebody that can use it other than the scrap yard. You might enjoy checking out his build thread (My build. Project Karma. 71 stepside) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290854

glimmertwin01 02-04-2010 07:08 AM

MAJOR RUST???? LMFAO? that would be called original clean back here in the SALT BOX / ROT BOX northeast...

lyrikz 02-04-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce88 (Post 3778876)
A form member (lyrikz) came over and picked up a free bench seat from me today. Glad to see that it found a new home with somebody that can use it other than the scrap yard. You might enjoy checking out his build thread (My build. Project Karma. 71 stepside) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290854

Thanks again Bruce. The seat is beyond perfect. Let me know if you need any help on anything. When we left last night, my wife looked over at me with this sad face and said "they dont make nice people like that anymore". Had me thinking all night that shes true. It was an honor to meet you and the truck looks like its going to be VERY cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glimmertwin01 (Post 3779076)
MAJOR RUST???? LMFAO? that would be called original clean back here in the SALT BOX / ROT BOX northeast...

From what i have scene with Bruce. There is a good possibility that the cab is in awesome shape.

Bruce88 02-04-2010 03:13 PM

(lyrikz) It was nice to meet you and your wife and your welcome for the seat.

You have an interesting name/word on your build thread (Karma). Thru out my life I’ve been helped by so many people in learning and free items and your offer of help is appreciated. When I was younger I was told that no repayment or obligation was required to just pass on the gesture when the situation permits. So I hope that you will pass on the gesture to someone else if the situation permits. May your positive Karma only grow

I hope I’m not some kind of a dieing breed, so put a smile on your wife’s face, there’s bound to be some more out there and a lot more than you would think.

So much for my 2 cents worth of philosophy

Enjoy your build

lyrikz 02-04-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce88 (Post 3779764)
(lyrikz) It was nice to meet you and your wife and your welcome for the seat.

You have an interesting name/word on your build thread (Karma). Thru out my life I’ve been helped by so many people in learning and free items and your offer of help is appreciated. When I was younger I was told that no repayment or obligation was required to just pass on the gesture when the situation permits. So I hope that you will pass on the gesture to someone else if the situation permits. May your positive Karma only grow

I hope I’m not some kind of a dieing breed, so put a smile on your wife’s face, there’s bound to be some more out there and a lot more than you would think.

So much for my 2 cents worth of philosophy

Enjoy your build

I named it that because about 5 years ago, i was a different person. I was a taker. A few things happened in my life and now im trying to change that.

Thanks again Bruce. Also, Brayden (the little guy) wanted to know if we were going to go back to your garage today. ahah He is my little garage rat and thought yours looked fun. Especially the yellow monkey bars. LOL.

sourkraut 02-04-2010 06:34 PM

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce! That cab looks to be 100% nicer than what I had to start with! I wish you were closer!

C-10 Addict 02-04-2010 11:24 PM

I am new to this site but a lifelong lover of old cars and trucks.I stumbled across your build and could not stop reading and enjoying it.You have definitely raised the bar for attention to detail and your patience to overcome problems within the build.Once again many thanks for the tips and ideas. Mike

mcbassin 02-04-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce88 (Post 3778876)
Finding room to build or just a early spring clean up
I envy the guys with large shops and room to work on things with out having to move things around just to work and places to store things (there never seems to be enough room regardless of shop size) (smile)

I totally understand what you are talking about here. I built my shop 1/10 th the size I need but I only had the cash to build what I built (30'X30'). I hope to get the cash to add another 20 feet this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-10 Addict (Post 3780767)
I am new to this site but a lifelong lover of old cars and trucks.I stumbled across your build and could not stop reading and enjoying it.You have definitely raised the bar for attention to detail and your patience to overcome problems within the build.Once again many thanks for the tips and ideas. Mike

Mike
Welcome to the site! You stumbled on to one the most detailed builds on here. Bruce88 is good at making detailed dimensions and explainations. Just hang around and learn.

Bruce88 02-04-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-10 Addict (Post 3780767)

Thank you for stopping by and its nice that you enjoyed my presentation, I also enjoy doing it.

Bruce88 02-04-2010 11:50 PM

I must have struck a cord with some regarding the rust in my old cab

Not to indicate that the cab is in worse shape than some that have been repaired/rebuilt and can be seen on this forum. And the use of the word major rust might be a little over critical of its condition. But since I had another cab to compare it to in regards to the amount of work to rebuild it, I chose the other cab for my build. This cab required all the work on both rocker areas that’s been shown on this thread plus it would need additional work in other areas like, half of the driver’s floor, holes in the roof near the drip rail, and the driver’s side rear corner had been damage up higher than a repair panel would cover. This is just the easily seen problems with it and all its problems might not be found until a closer inspection and rebuild is in progress.

After dropping it off in the back yard I just stepped back and took a picture and I will agree that the picture definitely does not show any major problems and looks like it’s in pretty good shape.

So the offer that the cab is free for parts or complete as is, is open to all in my area. Just bring a flatbed or truck and some help in loading it. And be ready for a challenge that I decided not to take in my rebuild

Enjoy your build

Bruce88 02-12-2010 05:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hiding the welding seams or less noticeable
Trying to bring the dash back to a stock look

Some one had tried to install a different radio and there was damage to the ashtray opening. There are a lot of spot welds at the lower front window area to replace the complete dash and mine is in pretty good shape. The only problem area was around the radio and ashtray, so I was looking for a way to repair just this area.

Trying to repair the small area I didn’t feel would turnout not noticeable, so I cut back a larger area where most of the welding seams would be hidden.

I think the pictures show what I did to bring it back to a stock look.

Attachment 546220

Attachment 546221

Tomorrow a friends coming over with a 5000 PSI pressure washer and we are going to try and clean up the frame and suspension. Love to have the power maybe it will even strip some of the paint off.

Enjoy your build

my67chevytruck 02-12-2010 09:53 AM

Nice work as always Bruce..... a 5k psi washer would have been nice when i was going through that, i struggled with a 1800 psi but it did a good job..... looking forward to your progress.

nuke1 02-12-2010 02:15 PM

That frame came out pretty clean! Now to just get it finished

lyrikz 02-12-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 3796607)
That frame came out pretty clean! Now to just get it finished

What?? Did you see pictures of the cleaned frame?? i wanna see. lol

70cst 02-12-2010 02:36 PM

This is a great thread guys... To say its "just a pick up" is like saying "It's just a love song...". Its more than a "Pick Up"...it becomes part of who we are... JMHO :lol:

aboyer 02-13-2010 01:50 AM

All I can say is "Wow". You are a master!! I felt like I just read through a college course in how rebuild a '72 Chevy truck. You are the type of guy that all of us wish was our next door neighbor to see things first hand!!

I do have one question, how many vehicles have you restored over the years? You have a wealth of experience!!

Thank you for all your hard work and excellent pictures of the build!! Keep up the good work.

Adam

Bruce88 02-13-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboyer (Post 3797842)
All I can say is "Wow". You are a master!! I felt like I just read through a college course in how rebuild a '72 Chevy truck. You are the type of guy that all of us wish was our next door neighbor to see things first hand!!

I do have one question, how many vehicles have you restored over the years? You have a wealth of experience!!

Thank you for all your hard work and excellent pictures of the build!! Keep up the good work.

Adam

That’s a hard question to answer. I’ve been working on cars and trucks since I was 15 and this is my second complete body off rebuild and I’ve helped with 3 others. But when you add all the individual components/areas on other vehicles like engines, transmissions, suspension and electrical there’s to many to keep track of and this all add up in helping with this rebuild. Plus adding in the aircraft manufacturing and maintaining it combines to an interesting mix. So all I could really say is it’s over 45 years of some kind of experience around car and trucks.

chevy88 02-13-2010 06:01 AM

That was well thought out Bruce, the least amount of cutting and welding to get that peice in there.

70LonghornCST 02-13-2010 08:28 PM

Subscribed. Great job and thanks for sharing your wealth of information.

mcbassin 02-13-2010 10:16 PM

Really nice work on the dash repair!

Bruce88 02-14-2010 02:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The sun came out for an hour just as I finished pressure washing the frame
Maybe an omen to take some pictures, of course I need no omen to take pictures (smile)

Spent a few days removing the brake lines and cables, fuel lines, driveshaft, and exhaust from the frame. Then broke out the propane torch and scraper to remove some of the undercoating on the frame (there’s still some undercoating that will need to be removed).

I rebuilt the front suspension a few years ago to include a 2-1/2 inch drop spindles and see no need to take it apart, just a little touchup paint will be needed

I see no damage to the frame just some surface rust and minor pitting. Not planning on sandblasting the frame just scuffing it up with some scotch bright and using Eastwood’s Rust Converter, Rust Encapsulator, and Extreme Chassis Black (Satin). I’ve never used the products before but I think they will fit my needs for a finish on the frame.

Attachment 547083

Attachment 547084

Attachment 547085

The new larger air compressor I installed has been working good and was a benefit helping in blowing out all the trapped water in the nooks & cranny’s and water traps in the frame, it was completely dry in no time.

Enjoy your build

VA72C10 02-14-2010 04:06 PM

Looks like good progress...

my67chevytruck 02-14-2010 04:08 PM

looking good Bruce!

west9378 02-14-2010 11:21 PM

Bruce, thank you for a great almost documentary on how to do the perfect frame off. After seeing the work you did repairing the rust I am going to do what it takes to repair and make the cab of my Graandfathers truck. I am having to depend on others to do most if not all the work on my rebuild but I am giving direction that I gain from people like you on this forum. I look forward to using the information you posted regarding the door spacing. Have a great week and I look forward to your next post.

stueber68 02-17-2010 07:50 PM

Wow... will you build my cab? I don't think I would be happy with anything I did.