The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

lolife99 05-09-2011 06:19 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

1 Attachment(s)
Gringoloco,... I have a repair panel for the "visor area" of your cab, that I don't need,... if you are interested.
Like this one:
http://www.topbananaparts.com/servle...y-inner/Detail

Jacfourteen 05-09-2011 09:11 PM

Ouch, Gotta hate those hidden gremlins!

gringoloco 05-09-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4671037)
Gotta love hidden surprises....and STUPID PO's :devil:

Wheeeeeee!!! Actually, it's not too bad- I've definitely seen worse- it's just that it was so easily preventable...
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRod68 (Post 4671076)
damn man. Sorry to hear that

Meh, no biggie. I knew the visor rust was there and had a good idea there would be some surprises behind the windshield gasket.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4671156)
Gringoloco,... I have a repair panel for the "visor area" of your cab, that I don't need,... if you are interested.
Like this one:
http://www.topbananaparts.com/servle...y-inner/Detail

Thanks for the offer :) I have had one sitting here for a few years waiting to be installed. Finally got around to it today...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacfourteen (Post 4671504)
Ouch, Gotta hate those hidden gremlins!

Yup- just glad it wasn't worse :chevy:

gringoloco 05-09-2011 11:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, after removing the offending metal and cleaning up any signs of any sort of rust, then liberally coating it with rust inhibitor, I set to work on trimming the patch panel to fit. This little project is anti-fun. Between working overhead and the compound curvature of the area, it becomes an extreme pain to install the patch. After MUCH trimming, fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming, and fitting, I finally got it tacked-in place and looking decent. Did I mention, "what a pain"? :waah: I have to give kudos to Tri-Plus on the patch panel- it is a quality piece- the perfect shape with plenty of extra to trim for fit, and heavier gauge metal than stock :cool:

lolife99 05-10-2011 12:40 AM

Man,... you do good work!

VA72C10 05-10-2011 12:45 AM

very nicely done!!!

gringoloco 05-10-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4672043)
Man,... you do good work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4672050)
very nicely done!!!

Thanks fellas! It's not perfect, but waaay better than before...

mcbassin 05-10-2011 11:13 AM

Wow! nice work on the rust repair! I love the PO conversation. No matter what year model bed they change it too, the original always looks better. Not a fan of interchanging beds unless it's 67-72. It's hard to believe that some shops do the things they do.

Slick67 05-10-2011 12:06 PM

^^ x2

gringoloco 05-10-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4672535)
Wow! nice work on the rust repair! I love the PO conversation. No matter what year model bed they change it too, the original always looks better. Not a fan of interchanging beds unless it's 67-72. It's hard to believe that some shops do the things they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4672626)
^^ x2

Thanks guys :) You should see the 'seam sealer' they used. I can't tell you how much blue silicone gasket maker I've dug out of nooks and crannies on this truck- they went crazy with it!

gringoloco 05-10-2011 10:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I managed to get a patch cut, formed, and welded in for the gaping hole in the windshield frame. Once this was in, I applied liberal amounts of seam sealer to the four windshield seams, as well as a few other areas that were in need of some sealant. Also finished welding the visor area patch (you can clearly see the relief cut I had to make to get the curves to align properly), spent a BUNCH of time grinding it smooth, then applied some epoxy primer. A skim coat of filler and it will be ready for some color :chevy:

Zoomin 05-10-2011 10:53 PM

Impressive - and quick too. An average body man would have milked that for a few weeks. ;)

LONG 2B LOW 05-10-2011 10:54 PM

Wow! I have the same harbor freight gun and I could not get it to lay down that good as a matter of fact it ruined all my previous prep work!! Congrats on the success, what brand of paint are you using? Do you have any painting advice? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 99 silverado after I rolled it and all that's left is paint.

Liking the build though it looks great keep up the good work
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 05-10-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4673766)
Impressive - and quick too. An average body man would have milked that for a few weeks. ;)

Haha- no doubt- and charged out the wazoo! I was thinking today as I was grinding my welds that it would take a LOT of money for me to do this to someone else's truck... Thanks for the positive comments :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONG 2B LOW (Post 4673775)
Wow! I have the same harbor freight gun and I could not get it to lay down that good as a matter of fact it ruined all my previous prep work!! Congrats on the success, what brand of paint are you using? Do you have any painting advice? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 99 silverado after I rolled it and all that's left is paint.

Liking the build though it looks great keep up the good work
Posted via Mobile Device

I am using Hot Rod Flatz from TCPGlobal. It is a single stage urethane. I have read where guys have a hard time getting this gun to lay clear. I did very little for gun set-up other than tweak the pattern and volume a little; it does seem to like a little more inlet pressure than other HVLP guns- around 50 psi. Also, try thinning if your paint is thick- my poly primer was spraying a little dry due to the viscosity (a bigger tip would likely fix this), but the color lays out like a dream. Good luck with your rebuild...

Slick67 05-11-2011 09:24 AM

That really came out great!

Bennett68C10 05-11-2011 10:25 AM

Wow, nice job looks great

dougminton 05-11-2011 11:44 AM

Much nicer looking now.

gringoloco 05-11-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4674300)
That really came out great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 4674386)
Wow, nice job looks great

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougminton (Post 4674536)
Much nicer looking now.

Thanks all! :D I'll be much happier when it's all blue again, but with NO rust, which should be soon...

steppside69 05-11-2011 09:17 PM

Just read through your build, SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope i can ruin my truck half as nice.
Eric

gringoloco 05-12-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steppside69 (Post 4675349)
Just read through your build, SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope i can ruin my truck half as nice.
Eric

Thanks! Good luck with yours :chevy:

gringoloco 05-12-2011 12:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So, the day started out not so great, as the epoxy primer I shot yesterday decided not to cure. Instead of being a nice, hard surface to start body work on, I had a gummy mess. I spent the better part of the morning cleaning that up and making a run to the paint store. Once that was out of the way, I started the body work on the visor area, and got it in a coat of poly primer for final wet-sanding before color...

While I was waiting for primer to dry, I got the bedside braces in- they had to be dropped the same amount as the 'body lift'- don't worry, I'll clean them up and paint them... I also used the extra body filler and primer from the visor area to do a little work on the bedside splice. It will require a little more work before paint, but is most of the way there :uhmk:

gringoloco 05-12-2011 01:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
...and since the visor area was ready for paint, I decided to go ahead and shoot it :D The blue I had mixed is juuuuuust slightly different than the color that was on the truck, but since it's inside and will not see sunlight, I don't think it will matter too much. I did my best to blend it- heck, I'm probably the only one that will be able to tell anyway...

Also got the clear sprayed. It did not lay down perfectly, partly due to shooting upside-down, mostly due to me being in a hurry, but that's ok, as it matches the rest of the orange peel :smoke:

legendary 05-12-2011 08:14 AM

Awesome
This encourages me to go get started on my build....which is in the garage looking at me right now
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 05-12-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendary (Post 4676024)
Awesome
This encourages me to go get started on my build....which is in the garage looking at me right now
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad I can be of help, so get to it! :D I'm about to...

67cheby 05-12-2011 10:33 AM

HOLY SMOKES.....your going so fast your making me DIZZY !!