The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2" Drop Trailing arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358349)

watahyahknow 07-07-2011 09:48 PM

Re: 2" Drop Trailing arms

i know i wanted to change it to the truckarm setup i know there some differences to the frame between the older 67 model truck and the square , the part that kicks up is at another spot and the frame is less tall so using a porterbuild old '67 style truckarm crossmember on a squarebody doesnt work out of the box , i have seen a square that had truckarms installed but that was a different manufacturer and wasnt as good looking as the porterbuildstuff

slimneverdies 07-07-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4777455)
i know i wanted to change it to the truckarm setup i know there some differences to the frame between the older 67 model truck and the square , the part that kicks up is at another spot and the frame is less tall so using a porterbuild old '67 style truckarm crossmember on a squarebody doesnt work out of the box , i have seen a square that had truckarms installed but that was a different manufacturer and wasnt as good looking as the porterbuildstuff

Just got an email from Nate today and he said that he'll be posting pics of his new trailing arm setup for 73-87 trucks tomorrow:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

watahyahknow 07-07-2011 11:42 PM

woohooo

PBFAB.COM 07-08-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimneverdies (Post 4777586)
Just got an email from Nate today and he said that he'll be posting pics of his new trailing arm setup for 73-87 trucks tomorrow:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

I will post up some pics before I head home this evening. :)

PBFAB.COM 07-08-2011 07:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics...

This is part of a rear kit we are buttoning up for the 73-87 chassis. It will let you convert the leaf springs to trailing arms. We have a 71 rear end mocked up in it right now, but it will have the factory 12 bolt back in it shortly. This crossmember is for a 2-piece shaft (for laying frame)... the one-piece shaft crossmember is just a little different. More to come on this in the future. :)

Nate

SCOTI 07-08-2011 08:55 PM

Awesome Mr. Porter! I wonder if it would work on a dually......
:lol:

JNJchev77 07-08-2011 09:21 PM

That is killer, Nate!!!! Nice work as usual!:metal:

watahyahknow 07-09-2011 04:09 AM

from wat i can see on the pics it should work on a dually it end at the same spot the leafsprings would , i dont know if you need spacers for the crossmember in the higher c30 chassis or if it will fit a straight beam chassis cab version and you prolly need larger U-bolds and saddles for the 14 bolt rearend ...... not realy hard stuff to change youreself if needed .

one thing im happy about , i was afraid it wouldnt fit a th400 with a gearvendor but theres plenty of room between the tail of the automatic and the crossmember ...... did you done the mockup on a longbed or a schortbed nathan ?

SCOTI 07-09-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4779825)
from wat i can see on the pics it should work on a dually it end at the same spot the leafsprings would , i dont know if you need spacers for the crossmember in the higher c30 chassis or if it will fit a straight beam chassis cab version and you prolly need larger U-bolds and saddles for the 14 bolt rearend ...... not realy hard stuff to change youreself if needed .

one thing im happy about , i was afraid it wouldnt fit a th400 with a gearvendor but theres plenty of room between the tail of the automatic and the crossmember ...... did you done the mockup on a longbed or a schortbed nathan ?

I used to pester Nathan about the truck arm set-up when I had my 74. Having owned one of each short wheel base trucks (truck-arm w/coils vs leafs), I can say w/o any doubt the truck arm offered a superior ride per dollar invested.

Now that the 74 is doing new things w/it's new owner, I have the dually & always thought the T/A's could work on one of these as well w/the right design set-up. I was only kidding though when I asked the question.....
Quote:

Awesome Mr. Porter! I wonder if it would work on a dually......

watahyahknow 07-09-2011 01:58 PM

im going to change a 1977 C25 intoo a dually (i have a set of spindles/1 ton hubs and the hubs for the rearaxle and a set of adapterplates for a set of 22 inch truckrims )

nathan adapted a set of strongarms for 1 ton spindles back in the days he wasnt making his own arms and i still got one of his old style dropmember im planning to mount on the truck ........ the stuff is gathering dust and some flyrust right now but trust me it will be done

The Rocknrod 07-17-2015 04:03 PM

Whatever happened to the 2" drop Trailing Arms, Are they for sale?

PBFAB.COM 07-24-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 7244004)
Whatever happened to the 2" drop Trailing Arms, Are they for sale?

We only offer a 1" and a 3" drop variation.

Nate