The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797726)

Jason 56 07-10-2022 11:33 PM

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Glad to hear you’re out enjoying the fruits of your labor. My goal is to drive mine once this year before it snows! We’ll see:lol:. After putting all the time into mine I really appreciate the patina look. My next one is going to be just that. More of a daily driver. I think you nailed the look and that’s why there is so much interest in it. Just an awesome truck you can drive. Enjoy cruising the rest of the summer!:metal:

Tempest67 07-11-2022 11:03 AM

Thanks Jason. The patina look sure does save a lot of time and mess (sanding)

I sold 4 old tires and wheels the other day and delivered them in the truck. The guy asked me if I had plans to paint it and I said no, because if the truck was painted, I would not be using it like I am now.

Another time we pulled into a Cruise Night and 5 or 6 teenage girls were taking selfies with the truck in the background. we asked them if they want to get into the back and we will take a pic of them, so they all jumped in and thought that was great.

Having a patina truck sure reduces the 'worry' level, so it seems to get used more. (Home Depot, groceries, transporting car parts, propane tanks, gas tanks, running errands, ...etc) It has become my daily driver when the weather is decent.

Keep up the great work on yours, as I enjoy seeing your metal fab skills, and looking forward to seeing it all in paint.

lower50's 07-11-2022 08:55 PM

How have I never read your build? You had some great ideas. Thanks for coming over and saying hi at the Unfinished Nationals, I got caught up talking to some people and came over to get a better look at your truck and you where gone. Hope we meet up again. I'm planning on going to "Cops n rodders" show in Hamilton in August.

Tempest67 07-12-2022 09:27 AM

Lower50's - it was good to meet you as well.

I will have to find out about 'Cops and Rodders' and see if we can make it.

Thanks, and enjoy your truck this summer.

28TudorAZ 04-24-2023 12:42 PM

Great job on your truck. I was reading through your build. Here is old Dale.

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Dale-Aitken/16557914

Tempest67 04-24-2023 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ha ha, that must be him, from Grandview Manitoba.

Well, his memory lives on

joedoh 04-25-2023 12:22 PM

what a great truck!

Tempest67 12-22-2023 05:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Merry Christmas to my Chevy Truck family.

Just a quick update, the truck is running great, put about 1200 miles (not that much) on it this summer and not 1 problem. The only 'work' I can remember is changing the oil, adding air to the tires, and adding 2 drink holders. Oh, and I wiped it down with WD-40 twice.

This truck is meeting/exceeding all my hopes, it drives easy, runs smooth, is comfortable, reliable and I will take it anywhere, anytime.

Once again it is in the driveway with Santa for the season (and a new Elf), but will be back in the garage in January.

Hope everyone is enjoying their trucks, and I look forward to following your builds and seeing your ideas in 2024

Here are some pics from 2023

Cheers,

dsraven 12-22-2023 06:15 PM

nice job.
I hear that wd40 is going to be discontinued, in Canada anyway, so maybe better check into that and stock up.
how will we ever keep our electric cars going with it, lol.

28TudorAZ 12-22-2023 06:28 PM

Looking great. I am in about the same boat. About 1500 miles. Honestly its my favorite to drive because it drives so nicely. I have actually been thinking about doing that poppys patina coating. I will say nothing rubs off on it now and I do run it through the local self brush car wash every once in while. They laugh when I pull up but it comes out sparkling.

dsraven 12-23-2023 11:09 AM

ok, I checked into the wd40 rumour and found it is a myth. here is a link from the wd40 site.
https://wd40.ca/news/statement-from-...se-product-ban

Tempest67 12-23-2023 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks dsraven and 28Tudor

I wipe down the tires, wheels and keep them clean, but only wipe down the body with a damp rag when it gets dusty. I'm not sure about 'Poppys patina' coating as I dont want the surface to be sticky. Glad to hear you are enjoying your truck, as I just love looking out through that split window. (see pic)

dsraven, I heard the same thing about WD-40, so thanks for busting that myth. I also heard that Brake Cleaner will be banned? yes? no?

dsraven 12-23-2023 05:26 PM

I think it's a rumour or they will maybe ban the chlorinated stuff. Dunno.

Father&son56project 12-25-2023 10:35 AM

Great pics! I had every intention of driving down your way in the hopes of seeing your build (and Lower50’s build) at a cruise or show for the last 2 summers, but I have to admit that pure laziness and an aversion to traffic has kept me away. I’ve been doing about 1000 km a year and so far no repairs or breakdowns. It’s great to see the projects getting lots of use!

Tempest67 12-26-2023 01:14 PM

Father&Son - Glad you are using your truck and it is serving you well.

Maybe we, and Lower50's, should meet up in the Guelph area for a lunch sometime this Spring/Summer? (and anyone else in the area)

Cheers

Father&son56project 12-26-2023 09:17 PM

Either that, or a show or cruise night somewhere in the middle (Guelph, KW, etc.). Count me in!

nvrdone 12-28-2023 01:14 AM

Hey Tempest: Santa finished his deliveries so my truck went back in the garage for some long needed love.
Bear claw door latches, new wiper motor, add insulation & sound deadener to the cab, extending the exhaust out the back and many other things.
I did read thru your complete build thread.
One thing I missed - what steering column did you use?
Have a happy new year,
Bruce aka Nvrdone.

Tempest67 12-28-2023 10:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
nvrdone - I used the S10 column. - the downside is that the wiring is visible on those columns, but the positives are, I already had it, the plugs from the wiring harness fit, it has tilt, it has the key, and I like the feel and size of the wheel (not so much the look)

Good Luck with your winter projects, for sound deadening material, I highly recommend the 6 or 8 inch wide 'window flashing' tape at Home Depot that really works well. (has a 'tar like' adhesive that really sticks)

Also, take your time with the Bear Claw latches and make sure the square handle rod fits tight into the latch, if its loose, the handles will droop.

Santa is still out in the rain, and will be til Saturday. (we have had a lot of rain and fog over the last 2 weeks)

Happy New Year

Tempest67 01-08-2024 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello to my GM Truck family. (and 1 Fargo)

I picked up another project, and No, I am sorry, it is not a truck.

It is a 1958 Pontiac Wagon, with extensive rust. Maybe I should have left it in the junkyard where I found it (Edmonton Alberta) but something about 58 Pontiacs that made me get it.

If anyone is interested in following along (it's gonna take several years on this one) I will be starting a Build thread in the Alternate Tinkerings section.

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all

nvrdone 01-08-2024 08:22 PM

love to follow it. Allways had a thing for the long roofs, especially the chevy II.
But help me out - where is this alternative tinkering section???

Tempest67 01-09-2024 10:28 AM

when you are on the Home Page, scroll down past the 47-59 section, to the 'General Section', and click on 'Alternate Tinkerings'

sorry, I dont know how to paste a screen shot, but here's a link

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849781