The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   New GE fridge project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=344578)

pat 09-13-2009 10:01 AM

Re: New GE fridge project

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 3321286)
I love the old fridges....here's mine that I did a couple years back.....now I'm looking for another one to do.....

I was in a gas station yesterday and they kept their nightcrawlers in the exact same model fridge as you have. I knew I had seen it somewhere. It was plain ol' white of course.

I found a local guy who I happen to work with also, talked to him about my fridge, and he talked like he would charge it and fix the copper line for free!
Can't beat that. So hopefully in a couple weeks it will be running.

lks dcvn 09-15-2009 02:29 PM

I have a GM fridge out in the garage - converted to a keg-o-rater - I cleaned it up and plugged it in - has worked great since I got it - over 5 years ago.

rustSpot 09-17-2009 03:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mordachai (Post 3324749)
Both of those are great.
By any chance does it have those cool 'lazy susan' shelves inside?
anyone remember those?

Man, I remember those! Sold my 50 model to a buddy recently....had the lazy susans in it. It was nice too! Here's a couple pics.

msgross 09-18-2009 09:29 PM

I have a buddy with a nice 50's fridge. Lots of chrome and he painted it a pastel corvette yellow... very cool..

pat 11-03-2009 11:12 AM

Well bad news on the fridge. I brought it over to a guy who does refrigeration work and he went to work on it. Got it all ready to pull a vacuum on it and fixed the broken tube. When he pulled a vacuum there was noise all around the freezer. The tubes wrapping around the outside of the freezer wall had lots of spots where the aluminum was corroding and pitting.
No practical way to repair it.
So now I have a liquor cabinet, maybe a pantry or something.

NONHOG 11-03-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat (Post 3600399)
Well bad news on the fridge. I brought it over to a guy who does refrigeration work and he went to work on it. Got it all ready to pull a vacuum on it and fixed the broken tube. When he pulled a vacuum there was noise all around the freezer. The tubes wrapping around the outside of the freezer wall had lots of spots where the aluminum was corroding and pitting.
No practical way to repair it.
So now I have a liquor cabinet, maybe a pantry or something.

"Something?"

I got mine from a garage sale free, The guy said it works but I dont care as it will be my paint/solvent cabinet. Pics later

67ChevyRedneck 11-03-2009 04:21 PM

That sucks it won't work :(

It looks great though!

NONHOG 11-04-2009 12:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My freebie, not as cool as either one of yours.

ETsC10 11-04-2009 12:51 AM

NONHOG that is cool...nifty handle too!!!

Is that a beverage vendor next to it?

NONHOG 11-04-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 3601669)
NONHOG that is cool...nifty handle too!!!

Is that a beverage vendor next to it?

Yep RC Cola Venderlator (sp?) Needs rekeyed and TLC.

coleyperformance 08-06-2012 11:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my beer fridge a 1947 general electric. It was my wifes grandparents they bought it new, when her grandma passed away & her dad was gonna scrap it. I was horrified by that and jokingly told him i would come after it for free, he told me come get it. I removed shelving and drawers for transport and somehow never made there way back into it. Still have all the stuff and plan on restore in near future, for now is functional. Had to post, awesome thread. Glad to see i am not alone. :metal:

jtj143 08-29-2012 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my mom with a fridge she painted sometime before I came along in 1975. She drew the outlines for the design, then she & her friends would paint a little at a time. I remember this fridge being in Grand-Dad's "pool house*" when I was a kid. It was always stocked with plenty of cokes for us kids. And Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, and Pabst Blue Ribbon for Grand-Dad, Dad, and Art. I always thought this was super cool - we never considered preserving or restoring it once it went bad. I really admire what you guys are doing!

* The "pool house" was just a little bar with a roof and some barstools. Today I think it would be called a Tiki Hut. But this was not near as classy.

Today I saw an in-process fridge restoration project at my cousin's powder-coat shop. It's not much to look at right now, but I'll snap some pictures if I get back over there before it's gone.

goldenburb 02-01-2014 06:39 PM

many more??

KShortell 02-02-2014 03:59 PM

It would make a great tool cabinet! :-D

Low Elco 02-03-2014 11:29 AM

I'm diggin' it! Mike Lavallee has been going off on these lately- here ya go-

http://www.killerpaint.com/fridges.html

goldenburb 02-04-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6505650)
I'm diggin' it! Mike Lavallee has been going off on these lately- here ya go-

http://www.killerpaint.com/fridges.html

THANKS FOR POSTING.. Those are the bomb :metal:

goldenburb 08-30-2015 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got mine done, I didn't do the art work.