The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   cutting the dash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=184013)

muddpile 12-28-2005 12:34 AM

Re: cutting the dash

The dash is the only thing on my truck that hasn't been cut up, so I figure I might as well make it match with my dremel. AM sucks too bad to want to keep it stock around here.

Green Machine 12-28-2005 12:40 AM

Anyone have any pics of a "properly" modified dash and a good looking unit installed ??

Mudder 12-28-2005 02:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't think mine looks that bad. You can see a little of the old radio cutout on the left. If a guy wanted to get rid of that you could probably make a plate to go behind the radio.

The dash doesnt show the orange peel in person like that one pic does. :(

Guardrail 12-28-2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthufham
yes!

and rick, that is one nice head unit! does the display show color, or is it black and white?

I haven't recieved it yet but I believe the display is white. If it sounds good, you'll be able to hear me singin'....I found it for $159 plus shipping on Ebay.

FUNMUDDER 12-28-2005 05:04 PM

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about cutting a dashboard. If its your truck, you do what you want with it. The PO of my truck put in a cheap cassette/AM FM radio in the stock holes, and it looks way worse than cutting the dash to put in newer radio.
And besides, a custom AM/FM radio for these old trucks is what, 180 dollars or more? I can buy a badarse CD/Radio for that, and possibly universal mount speakers, too. Just my thoughts on this. I'd cut the dash anyday

ChevLoRay 12-28-2005 05:24 PM

I cut the dash on my sons' 69, back in '99. He wanted a din-sized unit with a CD player, so there was no option for us. I used a Dremel Tool, and sized the cut with the sleeve that the radio (a Jensen) slid into. When I sold his (my) truck, the prospective owner never flinched at the opening. He could see that it was not butchered....and, it wasn't.

As for the past, I've seen so many dashes that have been butchered when the owners would mount, or just try in some cases, to install a radio that never was intended to fit. Anyone with a few years under their belt, will recall the factory radios that Ford used in '55, which had a round face/dial. I have seen that radio, installed in a 55-59 Chevy pick up dash. Not good. At least in todays' lifestyles, we have some standardization in radios, with DIN and Double-DIN being the majority of the offerings from various manufacturers.

Any job that is worth doing, is worth doing well. If you want to install a DIN-sized radio, then by all means go ahead an do it. I have one more double-shaft Pioneer, that will fit my '69. When it takes a crap, I'll see what's on the market and make my decision at that time. If I can adapt a Sirius/XM tuner to my Pioneer and and make it work, it'll happen. I'll just use a Dremel Tool and carefully plan my cut, then make it happen. It will look good, and the DIN-sized radio will fit and look very nice.

72MARIO 12-28-2005 07:14 PM

I cut and filled the radio knob inpressions. Before I did the paint. The cut looks awesome. It looks stock and not hacked up. I would NEVER want only AM/FM in my truck.

72-stomper 12-28-2005 07:32 PM

If you do a real clean instalation,,,,I wouldnt mind...Take your time!!!Make it look factory!!!
NO BEST BUY JOB!:barf: :barf:

MrC1 12-28-2005 08:07 PM

Mine's not cut and I plan to keep it that way.

Anyone care to list and/or post some pics of the radios that fit in the stock dash opening?

crazy longhorn 12-28-2005 08:33 PM

The dash is not cut on my Longhorn......but this is only 'cause I have not spent the cash for a good system! IMO, these old trucks are not going to pull the bucks as the old muscle cars do (for stock resto). after chopping the top 4", channelling the body 1 1/2", dropping suspension, shaving, adding a steel tilt clip......I guess cutting the dash would be a moot point;) Anybody want my stock dash? He!!, I dont think its worth anything.......but if you have some bucks, I will cut her out:lol: Too much yackin.....its your truck, build it how you like it.....:crazy: L

FUNMUDDER 12-28-2005 09:24 PM

Hell yeahs brother! :metal:

matthufham 12-28-2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder67
You can see a little of the old radio cutout on the left.

i cut out the holes and welded sheetmetal there. it looks way better this way.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._0752Small.jpg

mocwon 12-28-2005 10:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=matthufham]i cut out the holes and welded sheetmetal there. it looks way better this way.

Yeah, that's what I did too.

matthufham 12-28-2005 10:23 PM

your truck is beautiful, again (can't say that enough).

chevymaz 12-28-2005 10:35 PM

That looks great Mocwon...where did you get the aluminum bezel and glove box?

matthufham 12-28-2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevymaz

if i remember, they're custom made

FUNMUDDER 12-29-2005 12:18 AM

Yeah, but if your "Runnin down the road, trying to loosen your load" and want to skip a song ar change the station, you have to:
A:Have a friend switch it, if theres a friend with you.
B:Pull over and switch it
C:Suffer through the pain of crappy music or commercials.
Therefore, I will cut my dashboard.

ShanesChevys'Chick 12-29-2005 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To cut or not to cut that was an easy answer for me. I hate to see anyone with a good cab cut the dash. When I see that I think of my kids or grandkids cussing me when they attempt to restrore it much as we would cus someone who bought a 56 chevy to turn it into a dirt track car!!! We used theis route... no idea where to get on Disturbed Koncepts gave us ours. The only dash we cut was the 1ton truck bc the dash in it already looked like crap.

cflvulcan 12-29-2005 01:59 AM

no balls!!! cut the dash!!! lol. if it bothers you just put it somewhere else: glovebox, center console.... but this is coming from a guy who relocated the gas tank, lowered it, and i dont have much money for new trim and marker lights so i shaved them off. i was gonna lose the heater box too off the firewall too cause i needed another one but luckily my friend got me one.lol. later...

tom

jhwkns 12-29-2005 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had this one for eight years.. 22 watts X 4 channels.. It works great in an uncut dash.. I purchased one of the mp3 players that plugs into the cigar lighter, and it takes care of the digital needs.

mocwon 12-29-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevymaz

Here's the website:

http://www.jjengineering.us/products/products.htm

The owner's name is Javier Sanchez, a really nice guy to deal with.

72MARIO 12-29-2005 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine cut and primed . You dont see the gap on top once the trim ring in installed.

FRENCHBLUE72 12-29-2005 03:55 PM

If you want to cut it then cut it if you have doubts then don't cut it or weld in the filler plate..

Bowtiefreak 12-29-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhwkns
I've had this one for eight years.. 22 watts X 4 channels.. It works great in an uncut dash.. I purchased one of the mp3 players that plugs into the cigar lighter, and it takes care of the digital needs.

How does that MP3 cig lighter set-up perform? Does it sound good ?