The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   '56 Chevy Panel build (SLP) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342065)

57ToyBox 05-11-2009 08:31 AM

Re: '56 Chevy Panel build (SLP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIMSS (Post 3303232)
Big fat zero done on the panel this weekend. Wife birthday, mothers day, and nephew's dedication used up my whole weekend. And found out that next weekend is loaded up also.

I did go out to the farm to check on it after some nasty storms rolled through the area the other night.

I hear ya .... LIFE sometimes gets in the way of our hobbies ;)
Me too
Mother's Day, Daughter inlaws birthday and a floor installation at my daughters house. Cause only Dad has the right tools for the job.

Hope your truck faired OK after that wind

GRIMSS 05-11-2009 08:37 PM

Truck was fine. Storm passed just to the east of where it's at. Same storm produced a twister or two later that night, but about 40 miles away.

Musclerodz 05-11-2009 09:22 PM

It doesn't need low pro tires, those look perfect and will ave some ride quality

Skirkpat 05-11-2009 09:48 PM

Where in MidMo are you?

I wonder if an Exploder rear end would fit any better, I just pulled one out of a '99 sport, the 8.8 has 3.73 positrack and 31 spline axles factory !!! pretty good stuff, and for a local guy I would make you a deal that even your wife would think was good. maybe a case of good beer?

GRIMSS 05-11-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz (Post 3304945)
It doesn't need low pro tires, those look perfect and will ave some ride quality

I like the tires that are on it, but looking at the front fenders clearance, to get the rockers on the ground they will need to be a little shorter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skirkpat (Post 3305011)
Where in MidMo are you?

I wonder if an Exploder rear end would fit any better, I just pulled one out of a '99 sport, the 8.8 has 3.73 positrack and 31 spline axles factory !!! pretty good stuff, and for a local guy I would make you a deal that even your wife would think was good. maybe a case of good beer?

I'm in Hardin MO. It's about 45min east of KC.

Thanks for the offer, but for now I'm going to stick with the S10. Don't need to go buying another set of addapters right now.

72BlckButy 05-12-2009 08:16 AM

Jared.... I was wondering when you were going to post a build thread on this thing. :D

Looks like you got started without me but the progress is looking great. Those 20" steelies will look killer under there, happy welding! :lol:

Can't wait to see you roll up in this thing in September.

Are the colors going to be flat?

GRIMSS 05-12-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3305675)
Can't wait to see you roll up in this thing in September.

Are the colors going to be flat?

More like roll up and unload it off the trailer.:lol:

I'm thinking shinny.

72BlckButy 05-12-2009 08:32 AM

:lol:

Well it will be there, that's what counts!

Shinny wouldn't look bad at all. Have you decided what you're going to do to cover the rear notch? Or are there still some surprises yet to come... :rolleyes:

GRIMSS 05-12-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3305694)
:lol:

Well it will be there, that's what counts!

Shinny wouldn't look bad at all. Have you decided what you're going to do to cover the rear notch? Or are there still some surprises yet to come... :rolleyes:

Covering the rear notch is on hold till get the rear links in and see what I have to deal with, but I have a few ideas to try.

57ToyBox 05-12-2009 08:20 PM

Hey Jared
I realize your still working on the chassis and suspension, but I just had to ask..
What's your plan for tail lights ??? I just found a pretty cool idea

GRIMSS 05-12-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 3306713)
Hey Jared
I realize your still working on the chassis and suspension, but I just had to ask..
What's your plan for tail lights ??? I just found a pretty cool idea

That's a good question. The sub I cut up had one tail in it that is pitted bad. Would like to find an original set that's in good shape. My second choice that I was looking at was tails from the 60-66 fleet beds. Kind of the same shape. Thought about the cameo ones but don't like way you have to shape the body to match them.

But I'm a long, long ways from needing them.

What do you have in mind?

57ToyBox 05-14-2009 02:00 AM

I thought this might be a cool idea for tail lights.
Borrowed this pic from Geeze 56 Panel.
They are tail lights from a 89 to 93 Cadillac Deville

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...man/Geez10.jpg

GRIMSS 05-14-2009 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=Diesel;3309107]I thought this might be a cool idea for tail lights.
Borrowed this pic from Geeze 56 Panel.
They are tail lights from a 89 to 93 Cadillac Deville
QUOTE]

I've seen a few done like that. This one was at the KS Good Guys a few years back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/100_1594.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the way they are recessed. Kind of like these better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ures/tails.jpg

72BlckButy 05-14-2009 07:47 AM

I'm kind of with you Jared... I have never really been a fan of the recessed caddy light. I think I have a few pics on my old computer that I will have to post. First I need to start rubbing sticks to get it running though... :rolleyes:

Sounds like it will be fairly decent this weekend, any plans for working on the Panel?

57ToyBox 05-14-2009 07:51 AM

I agree Jared.. If they weren't so recessed and maybe even LED they might work. That second picture you posted... I'm liken that.

GRIMSS 05-14-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3309229)
I'm kind of with you Jared... I have never really been a fan of the recessed caddy light. I think I have a few pics on my old computer that I will have to post. First I need to start rubbing sticks to get it running though... :rolleyes:

Sounds like it will be fairly decent this weekend, any plans for working on the Panel?

I like pics.

I've got 2 graduations and another birthday to go to on Sat. I'm really thrilled about it too.

By the time I get the panel moved over to the shop, after working on it cleanup, and putting it back in the other shed I'm out a good part of a day. So it's not worth working on it for just one day.

I do need ideas for the fuel filler location. Like I said before, truck guys have it easy. I would like it shaved from the side but then where with out it being in the interior.

72BlckButy 05-14-2009 08:19 AM

I can't wait to see this project, so I might have to make a trip your way sometime in June. I'll have to look over your pics to see if anything pops out as far as a great filler location.

What kind of tank does the panel have? Dumb question, but I've never been around one before. My guess would be that it's behind the rearend; or possibly in front of the rear end.

GRIMSS 05-14-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3309267)
I can't wait to see this project, so I might have to make a trip your way sometime in June. I'll have to look over your pics to see if anything pops out as far as a great filler location.

What kind of tank does the panel have? Dumb question, but I've never been around one before. My guess would be that it's behind the rearend; or possibly in front of the rear end.

Any time you want. Let me know next time you head to KC.

Tanks are in front of the axle, but probably move it to between the rails in the rear.

here's a pic of the tank.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...cleanup044.jpg

57ToyBox 05-14-2009 11:00 PM

Keep it stock man !!! You don't want that smelly thing inside the truck.
Fuel door outside on the passenger side won't steel from the truck's appearance ;)

Driveway Dreams 05-17-2009 12:06 AM

Hey, just jumped in to check out your build...Sweet ride you have going. I have always been a huge fan of panels. And I am really excited to start following your build up. An idea for you for your fuel filler...relocate the filler neck into the rear wheel well. It is something that has been done on cars and such to clean the outside up but keep the filler out of the vehicle.

GRIMSS 05-17-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams (Post 3313472)
Hey, just jumped in to check out your build...Sweet ride you have going. I have always been a huge fan of panels. And I am really excited to start following your build up. An idea for you for your fuel filler...relocate the filler neck into the rear wheel well. It is something that has been done on cars and such to clean the outside up but keep the filler out of the vehicle.

Thanks for venturing over. Kind of like the panel as you don't see as many at shows.

I think it would be pretty hard to move it to the rear wheel on one of these as they are not as tall of an opening on the rear as the front. With my 20's it's going to take up a lot of room. I'll know more when I get my 4link setup in.

Here is 7T2's '57 with 20's and it is not as low as I'm going.

http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/v...d.php?t=244882

Palf70Step 05-17-2009 09:40 AM

Really nice start on this. I am looking forward to your progress on it.

Driveway Dreams 05-17-2009 11:20 AM

Another couple filler neck options would be to do a flip tail light similar to the Tri-5 Chevy cars had. Put in in there. Or, depending on what you are doing in the back, you may be able to hide it behind a flip out license plate. Or if you decide to keep it outside but want it clean you could do the little push button style filler neck cap that are used on bikes. It can sit flush, painted to match, and they are only about the size of the filler hole itself.

Bigblue29 05-18-2009 09:37 AM

I like your rendering- That thing is awesome!

57ToyBox 05-18-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIMSS (Post 3309259)

I do need ideas for the fuel filler location. Like I said before, truck guys have it easy. I would like it shaved from the side but then where with out it being in the interior.

If you have to conceal your gas cap? And leaving it in it's stock location is out of the question.
I'm thinken your only option is on the floor at the back doors. Just like the p/u truck guys are doing. Just make sure it's vented outside and not through the cap.

--Filler cap In the wheel well would probably be too tight for the filler nozzle
--Filler cap Behind the license plate at the back bumper is a pretty good idea but too low for the gas tank to receive fuel, or the tank would have to be lower than the bumper. From behind we'd like to see the rear axle, not the fuel tank. ;)