The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2" Drop Trailing arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358349)

XXL 08-19-2009 10:24 AM

Re: 2" Drop Trailing arms

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3472447)
After buying Kevin all that nice shiny shop equipment, I can only imagine how thin the wallet is!

What wallet? I gave him that too :waah:

PBFAB.COM 08-19-2009 10:30 AM

Well, here's the trailing arm x-member I was alluding to in a previous post. I went ahead and made the height of the front mount adjustable from stock height, to 2" raised from stock height.

I will be offering a "special" on these items. 2" Dropmember Trailing Arms and trailing arm x-member $699. If anybody has already purchased a trailing arm x-member and wants to update to the new version AND purchase the arms, get with me and I will do an exchange on the non-adjustable version... that way it's the latest and greatest.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC05483.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC05484.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC05485.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC05486.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC05488.jpg

POPO1984 08-19-2009 10:31 AM

This is on my suspension list for sure

XXL 08-19-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3472910)
I will do an exchange on the non-adjustable version... that way it's the latest and greatest.

Sounds like Mexico is about to get a large batch of slightly used series 1 DM's :ito:

kev2809 08-19-2009 11:56 AM

do you have to use that x member with the drop trailing arms?

Twisted78SS 08-19-2009 11:59 AM

Nice!, this will make Project 50th look and handle that much better!.. I guess I will have to move my CPP cross member over to the shortwide project.

PBFAB.COM 08-19-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 3473022)
do you have to use that x member with the drop trailing arms?

You do not "Have" to use this crossmember with the arms. A factory version, or aftermarket replacement will work just fine. The adjustable unit allows the front pivots to be raised in conjunction with the rear.

72BlckButy 08-19-2009 01:52 PM

Oh man, now that is a great piece, awesome work Nate!

bdydrp97s10 08-19-2009 02:08 PM

i think craig(LUV2XLR8) will be happy with these arms..

SCOTI 08-19-2009 04:05 PM

Nice design improvements BTW..... I'm glad some vendors actually listen to the consumer & consider their input when creating products :) .

FRENCHBLUE72 08-19-2009 11:47 PM

Those are b!tchin..... I reakky need to get soem projects done asap ....

Hart_Rod 08-20-2009 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those rock! How much for just the trailing arms? Nate, would it ruin the integrity of the arms if you just welded a bracket on to accept the super track bar? I guess you've gone this far, you might as well offer one of those too......:D.

PBFAB.COM 08-20-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 3474378)
Those rock! How much for just the trailing arms? Nate, would it ruin the integrity of the arms if you just welded a bracket on to accept the super track bar? I guess you've gone this far, you might as well offer one of those too......:D.

A welded bracket would work just fine. I will be offering more pieces to the puzzle as time goes on! We will be offering a complete kit including bolt-in notch, panhard bar, and shock relocation brackets.

Hart_Rod 08-20-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3474395)
A welded bracket would work just fine. I will be offering more pieces to the puzzle as time goes on! We will be offering a complete kit including bolt-in notch, panhard bar, and shock relocation brackets.

Any idea on the time frame? Hopefully some of the jobs I've been looking at will pan out and I might just have you build me a complete chassis. Then I can display my sign and not feel guilty.........;), :lol:.

LUV2XCLR8 08-21-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3474395)
We will be offering a complete kit including bolt-in notch, panhard bar, and shock relocation brackets.

Your killing me, oh yea and it's FRIDAY Nate :lol:

Rokcrln 08-21-2009 06:53 AM

Very Nice! Just what LowBuck needs for a DM conversion:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

c10crazy 08-21-2009 07:08 AM

Very nice looking work! Just curious, what is the major benefit of dropped trailing arms?

n2billet 08-21-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 3474400)
Any idea on the time frame? Hopefully some of the jobs I've been looking at will pan out and I might just have you build me a complete chassis. Then I can display my sign and not feel guilty.........;), :lol:.

Let's see.....I have bought a complete C4 chassis, two front dropmembers (v2 & V3), two rear dropmembers, carrier bearing crossmember and some other stuff and I still DON'T have a sign..........I cut the tip of his finger off and he holds it against me......go figure! :lol:

N2TRUX 08-21-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 (Post 3471195)
Those would be sweet with a nice Watt's link.

Have you ever seen a "nice" Watts link. To date I have yet to see one that looked good. Functional, but ugly at best.

SCOTI 08-21-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10crazy (Post 3476442)
Very nice looking work! Just curious, what is the major benefit of dropped trailing arms?

Other manufacturers offer tubular arms that are like an OE replacement & advertised as 'better' because of the tubular construction. But when you're lowering one of these trucks, one of the first mods many of us do is add lowering blocks. Why not build the drop into the arm since you're building the arms anyway?? No extra expense for blocks. No extra expense for longer u-bolts. Is that all? Nope.

15" wheel guys should also see benefits because the u-bolt nuts are no longer under the bottom of the arm offering better scrub-line clearance. That's it right? Nope, still more....

Tubular arms offered before were more rigid in construction w/poly bushings. That's not necessarily optimum for a system that utilized the flex of the original I-beam construction & rubber bushings to limit bind (the more rigid construction of the tubular beam is good by itself; just not so good in this app as it will bind sooner). But, plug in a bushing that limits slop & offers better articulation & the tubular beam get's much better. The flex joint is also rebuildable & greaseable.

These are similar to NASCAR arms but w/o the harshness of the mono-ball bushing which would wear quickly (much like a heim-joint) in a true 'street driven' environment.

PBFAB.COM 08-21-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3476583)
Other manufacturers offer tubular arms that are like an OE replacement & advertised as 'better' because of the tubular construction. But when you're lowering one of these trucks, one of the first mods many of us do is add lowering blocks. Why not build the drop into the arm since you're building the arms anyway?? No extra expense for blocks. No extra expense for longer u-bolts. Is that all? Nope.

15" wheel guys should also see benefits because the u-bolt nuts are no longer under the bottom of the arm offering better scrub-line clearance. That's it right? Nope, still more....

Tubular arms offered before were more rigid in construction w/poly bushings. That's not necessarily optimum for a system that utilized the flex of the original I-beam construction & rubber bushings to limit bind (the more rigid construction of the tubular beam is good by itself; just not so good in this app as it will bind sooner). But, plug in a bushing that limits slop & offers better articulation & the tubular beam get's much better. The flex joint is also rebuildable & greaseable.

These are similar to NASCAR arms but w/o the harshness of the mono-ball bushing which would wear quickly (much like a heim-joint) in a true 'street driven' environment.

Couldn't have said it better! Thanks SCOTI!:metal:

My main goal was to address all the items that I felt other manufacturers missed.

XXL 08-21-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3476583)
...But, plug...

When I read this, I missed the cadence of the comma.

/that is all.

dieselarmy13 08-21-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
...But, plug...
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 3476747)
When I read this, I missed the cadence of the comma.

/that is all.

:haha:

Dinos63 08-21-2009 02:01 PM

NICE WORK THOSE ARE SLICK:metal:

LUV2XCLR8 08-22-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 3476405)
Your killing me, oh yea and it's FRIDAY Nate :lol:

Your supposed to log on here before going to work, that
way you know what day it is & what you need to do :lol: