The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Back to the Basics: Rebuilding a steering coupler rag joint (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=614332)

Bocephus69 10-14-2015 07:40 PM

Re: Back to the Basics: Rebuilding a steering coupler rag joint

thanks for the write up. i was just at napa today looking for this rubber coupler. they didnt show an application in their book for a 69 c10, but they had a universal kit that "works for most." well, you know how that goes. i figured i would take it home and at least see if it is remotely the same. it appears to be the same kit you used.....so defying the odds, it should work haha!

stevenbear72 09-14-2017 09:50 AM

good info, thanks

Droff 10-23-2017 03:29 PM

Any chance on getting the pics reposted? I can't see any of them, I'm guessing due to photobucket.

Thanks.

65 C20 10-24-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droff (Post 8066745)
Any chance on getting the pics reposted? I can't see any of them, I'm guessing due to photobucket.

Thanks.

I haven't seen Tx Firefighter on here for awhile.
I just went down and got a Dorman #31015 and it worked for me.
Not too expensive.
Remember that they only fit the spline one way.
I had to wedge the coupler out a little to fit the shaft.

Goose 06-18-2022 05:18 PM

Thanks for your demonstration. I'm about to start this project on my '72. The thing that escapes me is the steering column. What did you do to your steering column to get enough room to remove the rag joint? Thanks for any help.

68 P.O.S. 06-23-2022 10:51 AM

Richard2112 09-17-2022 04:57 PM

This has been an excellent read which has helped me while installing my rag and steering gear. (in process)

There are two things I'm uncertain about though; One is the sort of twisted metal bracket called the capture strap. I'm not sure of the purpose of that.

The other thing I'm not sure of is why there are two different sized bolts that hold the lower steering shaft to the coupler/rag joint. It appears the shoulders on those bolts are the same size but the threaded portion is different.

The lower steering shaft will only bolt on one way to the coupler but (and I could be mistaken here) the top of the shaft seems like it's just splined and could go on in any orientation.