The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   New 2 ME 14 Sierra SWB 5.3-6spd Hope I didn't blow it... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810350)

jjzepplin 06-29-2021 11:50 AM

Re: New 2 ME 14 Sierra SWB 5.3-6spd Hope I didn't blow it...

Thank you again. I just paid Blanco off and am going for some modifications. It is ready for the first oil change since I bought it. Maybe I will go after that broken bolt and then worry about an oil change as I may have to pull the heads to get it out. But then that means new cam and such. I found almost new takeoff heads on Ebay for $220...

biketopia 06-29-2021 01:23 PM

The broken bolts are easy if you have a mig welder. Pull the manifold, weld a nut to it and back it out. My 08 was pretty rusty being a PA truck so I new what I was in for and did everything at once. I cut the cats off so I didn't have to mess with trying to un bolt them from the manifolds. Also, at least bust loose any of the non broken bolts off by hand. Helps from making more work, usually even if you get a few turns and then they break, they don't do so flush and you can get a stud extractor on them or have really easy spot to weld a nut to. You wont hurt the head, done many of them this way. If you get to the point of needing to pull the heads to get the studs there should be nothing wrong with yours. Unless you have a ton of miles, in that case snag a set of ls6 spring from summit or the like to go with the cam you will put in and be good to go.

jjzepplin 07-11-2021 09:17 AM

I have a small flux core welder. I don't think that will do the job. I need to get a nice gas regulated unit. I was looking at a Lincoln mig stick tig unit. I sure would love to be able to tig weld.

On a side note. My HP Tuners kit just came in! Let the games begin!

jjzepplin 07-17-2021 06:39 AM

Well I ordered Speed Engineering Headers and Y pie as well as a 4/6 adjustable lowering kit. Also Looking for a nice welder. I found a nice HPTuners write up here by gregski so once I get around to it I will tune out the AFM and see if it shifts better and if not I will attack the trans with a shift kit and such prior to lowering.

jjzepplin 07-26-2021 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The headers showed up and they look to be of nice quality. Now to extract that broken bolt...

Ziegelsteinfaust 07-26-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 8943673)
I have a small flux core welder. I don't think that will do the job. I need to get a nice gas regulated unit. I was looking at a Lincoln mig stick tig unit. I sure would love to be able to tig weld.

On a side note. My HP Tuners kit just came in! Let the games begin!

A small Flux core should have the heat to weld a nut onto the bad bolt.

If your looking for a upgrade. Hobart makes nice welders, and they are simple to use. They are my personal favorites as I own 2 of them. A handler 190 which is 220v only, and a 220 MVP which is dual voltage.

I use CO2 instead of standard mig gas or C25. It's cheaper, and I always have some due to my job. It cost 1/2 as.much, and last nearly 3 times as long. The only downside side is a bit of splatter.

jjzepplin 07-27-2021 06:44 PM

You are probably right. I guess it will not hurt to try. I think I will run a drill bit in the manifold bolt hole just to get some fresh clean metal to weld to then give it a shot. I have been successful on two other occasions with drilling a hole and then hammering a hex key in and 6 times all the bolts came out. The engine was not in the car though. I saw a fella on youtube do the same thing but pounded a six point torx type bit in that had a 1/4" driver head on it so he was able to use a ratchet on it.

jjzepplin 02-20-2022 08:32 AM

So it has been a while since I have posted as life gets in the way. Anyway, I got up the nerve to go after this broken bolt. So I drilled out a 1/4" or so and put an easy out in there. POP, the easy out broke in the hole. So I will throw those in the trash and never use one again. Why are they so brittle??? I then tried the welding a bolt to this thing 3 times. No Bueno! I spent the next 3 hours breaking drill bits and sharpening them to finally get through the easy out and bolt. Pounded a six point hex bit in there and connected my De-Walt impact to it and worked it back and forth with some WD 40 until it came out. Congratulations to me finding every single muscle in my body that I have not used in years! Now I know which muscles need attention. ALL OF THEM! :waah:

jjzepplin 03-13-2022 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So after getting the broken bolt out and successfully removing the rest of them, I put the Speed Engineering headers on. I was able to get the front O2 sensors to reach the headers. The header Y pipe has a fitting for a Fuel ratio sensor which is nice and I will be getting one of those before I attempt to tune it. I connected the headers to the stock muffler with that last little muffler thingy removed and not sure what to do with the valve flapper dealy. I think they put that there for the AFM to not sound so bad through the exhaust. These headers fit nice and slipped right in from the bottom. The only thing I am not a big fan of is the Clamping system allows for small leaks. I will fiddle with them occasionally to see if I can correct this. They are much louder than I expected with the big 3" Y pipe. A very noticeable acceleration improvement.

jjzepplin 03-13-2022 10:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Once I got the headers installed, I went after the lowering kit. OMG I am getting old. I probably should not have gone for the headers and the lowering kit in a 3 day run. I got through the whole thing by myself and not even a scratch to my dermis. I did go through a pair of gloves though. I had to cut off the original Bump stops off the frame for the differential. A pain in itself. I also had to cut the original brake line/anti lock brackets from near the spring perches as the new flip kit had to be there and had new ones. I was able to flip the diff without removing the Fuel tank as some videos had shown. I just loosened the spring hanger bolt all the way and dropped the spring, pushed the axle as far as it would go to the passenger side and voila! Those rivets were much harder to remove than 67-72 rivets. Had to drill them. I used a MAXTRAC kit and so far am happy with it. The alignment went smooth and it drives very straight. My stock tires run just a little and I most likely will go down a few sizes later.

jjzepplin 03-13-2022 11:08 AM

I am kinda on the fence with the header install. I guess I will tune it first and then make a decision. I am glad the broken bolt is out though. I could not hear an exhaust leak but when I got the manifold off it was clear there was a leak and it no longer stutters upon hard acceleration with the stock manifolds reinstalled. I tested it that way before doing the headers to make sure whatever went wrong was not the headers.

jjzepplin 03-13-2022 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have anything bad to say about E3 spark plugs? I got a set for Xmas and want to install them here but I am thinking I will do this when I tune it. Oh and here she is lowered.

biketopia 03-14-2022 06:47 AM

Looks good, glad you got it knocked out!

jjzepplin 03-20-2022 08:58 AM

Thanks! The front tires rub just a little during full hard turns and I felt a little powering through a turn as I punched it. Might have to go down a size or two. I definitely don't want super thin rubber. It's louder than I would like right when I start it but I think that might be the VVT on the cam. About ten seconds and it quiets down.

jjzepplin 10-03-2022 01:34 AM

Well I been struggling with getting the cruise control to work again on this thing and some say it is most likely the brake light switch. There are a couple different ones and the one I pulled out was not the same as the one I bought for the 2014. I guess mine is actually a 2015ish model because that switch matches numbers correctly. A SERIOUS pain to replace though! This will be third time. UGH!

MiniD 11-24-2022 02:53 PM

Brake light switch is possible but make sure all of your brake lights (including center) are working, first. Also... LED brake light bulbs with no resistors are infamous for causing cruise control not to work.

That's a nice looking truck. Great catch on the standard cab SWB. I'm going to be doing much of the same to my 2012 quad SWB next year.

jjzepplin 11-25-2022 07:54 AM

Oh my. Thank you for the heads up. I have not tried this new switch yet but it was only $10. I also am going to tune this truck soon. I saw a great video on tuning the transmission. I also want to disable cylinder disable function. I think it is messing with my shifting.

jjzepplin 11-28-2022 08:20 AM

Well I did have a third brake light out. Incandescent bulb though. Replaced it and nothing but a working brake light. My engine light is on from the header install so maybe that's it.

jjzepplin 11-29-2022 12:08 PM

Well it was NOT the brake light switch. $10 down the tubes. I am thinking maybe the clocking ring or actual switch that turns the cruise control on? Boggling.

biketopia 11-30-2022 09:06 AM

Most likely it's because the check engine light is on. You'll need to tune out the codes for cruise to work properly again. Are there any other codes in memory or lights on?

jjzepplin 11-30-2022 04:49 PM

Well I cleared al the codes and still nothing. I just know it is something easy...