The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Not another build thread! Progress on my '67 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=192693)

67ChevyRedneck 05-01-2006 08:33 AM

Re: Not another build thread! Progress on my '67

2 Attachment(s)
I also got the inner fenders painted and coated with rust encapsulator but didn't get them reinstalled.

67ChevyRedneck 05-01-2006 08:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The final order of business was the blazer tank install, check here for a full write up on it and LOTS of pics!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=197895

67ChevyRedneck 05-08-2006 09:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Went to columbia again. The weather wasn't very cooperative this weekend, oh well, we need the rain. I didn't do a whole lot that would look cool in pics, so I didn't really take any this weekend. I got the hood finally aligned to where I was ok with it, I think my hood is a little tweaked, but I was able to bend it up some to get it to fit better.

I sanded down, cleaned and primed the door jams and window areas. I cleaned up the used window parts and coated them with rust encapsulator. I then had the fun pleasure of trying to install all of the window stuff without messing up the window area. I even used the "taping" method and STILL put a couple chips in the primer. I forgot how much a pain in the arse installing windows was. I got them in with all new seals and they roll up and down nicely.

I got the inner fenders in as well. AFTERMARKET INNER FENDERS SUCK. At least mine did. I bought them about 8 years ago. I never got them to fit right with my stock fenders, and the don't fit quite right with my repop fenders either. On the bright side, they do look nice around the wheel opening....just don't look under the truck:( I'm sure the quality has improved since 8 years ago.

The final thing I did was wire wheel out all of the old sealant around the drip rail and the line at the back of the cab. It got a coating of rust encapsulator and new sealant.

I'll be taking a few weeks off the truck to recoup physically and financially. I hope to be performing a "bodywork marathon" memorial weekend (fri-mon) and have the truck IN COLOR that monday. That would be the cab and front end only, the bed still needs a good bit of work.

Yukon Jack 05-08-2006 09:29 AM

Keep the progress coming.

67ChevyRedneck 05-14-2006 01:34 PM

OK OK, so I didn't do anything TO the truck this weekend (I know there's a lot of you picture junkies out there....because this thread has almost $1,500 hits:lol:) Anyway, I do have an update! I picked up the paint and primer for the truck this weekend. I got a gallon of each (paint and primer) and it should hopefully be enough. The primer is a general purpose high build/bare metal primer that can be painted over.

The paint color is going to medium blue metallic. The guy tried to help me find "maui blue" but was unable to locate it:( If this color looks as sweet on the truck as it does in the paint book I'm going to be very happy. The paint is going to be a "one step" urethane paint. I got the paint, primer, a good prep, some tach rags and a couple other paint supplies for $315. Wohoo! 2 more weeks!

mike nutt 05-14-2006 05:30 PM

truck is really looking good , keep us posted

72Chevrolet 05-14-2006 09:57 PM

Looking good, keep us posted

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 12:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I took friday off from work and headed to columbia with the intent of painting the cab and front end on the truck. I spent a couple days leveling out some areas along the cab. I then hand sanded the whole truck in prep for some primer. I also took the bed and fenders off. The bed looks tiny without the fenders on it. You folks in the rust belt may not want to view the following pictures. Please don't get upset with me for having rust free original cab corners. I'm from ellery, NY, so I know all about missing cab corners and toyota truck frames breaking in half while driving down the road from rust:rolleyes:

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 12:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few shots of the blazer tank (recently installed) and my LMC dual exhaust kit which was installed 2 years ago, and yes, it is very tightly squeezed in there. If it looks to be just kinda "hangin there" that's because it is. The hangers bolt to the cross member under the bed.

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the bed and the old fenders I'm not going to be using. That is not rust on the bed either, that is clemson orange clay. It's hard to wash a truck in primer, ya know? I am saving the fenders, so they are NOT for sale:)

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please fellers, please don't sit on the roof of your trucks, cause 20 years later someone is going to have to replace your butt prints with some bondo:lol:

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 01:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I was real happy with the primer. It was by martins paint and it was a general all purpose primer. The guy at Napa said that its what most of the local auto body shops ordered for primer. It was a good high build primer. It sanded easy too. I was also able to spray it with NO RUNS!!!

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 01:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And finally, what I had been waiting for for years and years. I PAINTED THE SUM BEECH! The color is medium metallic blue. I know I posted these in another thread, but I'm so happy to see her painted. I can finally WASH it when it gets dirty. ENJOY!!! (oh yeah, all of this was done (the bondo, primer, paint) in a 3 1/2 day period). I'm pooped.

67ChevyRedneck 05-30-2006 01:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More :)

Palf70Step 05-30-2006 01:30 PM

Nice job.

Must be a DAY-ly driver with no headlights ;)

jake67c10 06-19-2006 05:11 PM

LOOKIN GOOD!!!!! Man I'm jelous, thats the same truck I've got but I've got alot more rot and holes to deal with. Keep up the good work, it's good motivation for me.

67ChevyRedneck 06-20-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake67c10
LOOKIN GOOD!!!!! Man I'm jelous, thats the same truck I've got but I've got alot more rot and holes to deal with. Keep up the good work, it's good motivation for me.

I appreciate that, thanks! I started the thread hoping it would get others motivated (as well as keep me motivated to finish!) I figured I'd give it a try and see what I could do. It's coming out nice, but it sure seems to be taking forever! If I had my own garage that I didn't have to drive 2 hours to get to, this thing would be on the road already.

I have finished cleaning and stripping the rear fenders and steps and have 'em in some primer and I rust encapsulated the backsides. They need lots of straightening work now:( I plan on going to columbia this weekend and get the whole bed in primer!

67chevemall 06-20-2006 09:33 AM

Looks great! Hey did you spray it right in the drive way on that tarp?

67ChevyRedneck 06-20-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevemall
Looks great! Hey did you spray it right in the drive way on that tarp?

Yup. The pics with the windows covered are where it was when it was sprayed. The plastic worked awesome for keeping sand off the air hose which kept the sand off of the truck:metal: I also sprayed early in the morning (at like 8 o clock) before the bugs all woke up!

Slammed66 06-21-2006 10:07 PM

Looks awsome , makes me wanna go work on mine, Now get the box done and slap a set of rallys on it and youll have a pretty *****in little pickup.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 08:57 AM

I went back to columbia this weekend for some more punishment, err, ah, I mean to work on the truck:) The old girl had been sitting under a tree for a few weeks so the first thing I did was give her a bath. This was the FIRST TIME I've ever been able to wash my truck without the primer turning the sponge black:lol:

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went back to columbia this weekend for some more punishment, err, ah, I mean to work on the truck:) The old girl had been sitting under a tree for a few weeks so the first thing I did was give her a bath. This was the FIRST TIME I've ever been able to wash my truck without the primer turning ths sponge black:lol: This is how the bed started the weekend out as:

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd get some "bling" installed on the truck so I put the new mirrors and door handles on along with the "old" door locks. I'm glad I swapped out the "sport" mirrors (71-72 style) for the original style mirrors. They look really good on the truck and they poke well above the bottom of the window.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 09:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last weekend I got the rear fenders stripped and cleaned up. They're pretty banged up, but completely rust free. The driver's side is going to have a decent coat of "icing" on it, but the passenger side is pretty straight! They got treated to a good wire-wheeling and rust encapsulator.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 09:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I worked outside friday and saturday (It was about 98 each day:crazy: ) and got the bedsides stripped of the old paint and undercoating (stuff I put on about 9 years ago.) I didn't spend too much time on the inside of the bed. It's going to be coated with some roll on truck liner stuff. This truck is FAR from a showtruck:lol: I just want a nice driver.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It was nice friday and saturday, but holy smokes did it start raining at about 12:30PM Sunday. Had the pull the old girl in the garage to finish the bed. By the way, it has rained like crazy here since yesterday and doesn't show signs of stopping. I had to sit in my truck for almost 20 minutes last night when I got home it was comming down so hard! And then, after it stoped, I had to walk through about 3" of water flowing across the parking lot!

ChevyDude 06-26-2006 10:12 AM

Looks great!!! Such the good feeling putting and new coat of paint on! Love that Blue!

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The rain forced me to finish up in the garage and due to the crappy weather I was not able to put the "real" primer on the bed. I rust encapsulated underneath the bed rails as much as I could get (after it was all scuffed and hand sanded down) and I rust encapsulated the wheel well area. The spray cans were whipped out and the bare metal areas were covered.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Oh, the joys of bondo:crazy: :barf: :me2: :no: :rolleyes:

I think I got a bad batch of bondo too??? NO matter how much hardener I added it was still a dull pink color??? Never had this happen before. I still dried within 30 minutes, but the sufrace was always "gummy" and was ruining my sanding disks! I'm still nowhere near done with these damn fenders:(

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The weather cleared up for a few minutes, just long enough to get a few shots and put her in the shed before the storms started again.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more...

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Back in your hole! Had to put the poor girl back away in her shed. I hope to head back for paint in two weeks?

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyDude
Looks great!!! Such the good feeling putting and new coat of paint on! Love that Blue!

:lol: Thanks! You snuck one in on me!

Palf70Step 06-26-2006 06:45 PM

Your making some good headway despite the storms. She is going tobe a nice daily driver!!

Tink 06-28-2006 11:00 AM

She has really come along way!! Looks great...

I'm just curious, did you fab those mounts you showed in the first few posts of this thread?

67ChevyRedneck 06-28-2006 11:06 PM

I'm not sure which mounts you're referring to?

If you mean the seat mounts, no, they are the stock seat mounts off a 93 silverado that came with the 93 bench seat, I just set them back farther so I didn't have to modify them for the "hump" in the floor that runs from door to door.

If you mean the cab mounts, no again, the frame mounts are stock and the actual cab mounts were a kit I got from GMC Pauls.

I think you were referring to one of the two?

Tink 06-30-2006 07:01 AM

I was referring the the cab mounts... meaning the bracket part... they look new in the pic... I need to replace mine on a different model truck so I was wondering if you had made them or bought them. If I could buy mounts it would certainly be easier then making them. :)

67ChevyRedneck 07-10-2006 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
BACK TO WORK! I started another long friday off packing up the dogs and driving to Cola to work on the ole girl again. I made good use of my CCP hidden hinges for the 67. The instructions were a little vague but they did tell you what size drill bits you need. Of course, I don't have a big honkin 1/2 drive drill.... so I had fun wallering out the big holes with a 3/8" bit:crazy: You have to drill out the side of the tailgate first (keeping the top of the hole against the back edge of the tailgate (the inside edge). You then have to guestimate where to drill the hole for the mounting screw, and you could then figure out where to drill the two holes for the slider and cut out the section between the two. The final step is to shut the gate, snap the latches, punch a hole and drill (or waller) out a 1/2 hole in the bedside for the rubber grommet.

67ChevyRedneck 07-10-2006 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look MA! No chains! With a fellow board memebers help, I hope to have a set of hidden hinges on next time as well.

67ChevyRedneck 07-10-2006 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, here's where I win the f*tard of the year award, I wasn't happy with the front clip of the truck... sooooooo, I repainted it:crazy: