The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Flat-Out Engineering front end? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826209)

wickedred 03-21-2022 07:52 PM

Re: Flat-Out Engineering front end?

3 Attachment(s)
Rack is mounted. Waiting on the bump steer kit. Then I will see if this deal is gonna work or make to the scrap pile.

Before anyone ask. No it’s not worth the effort.

Joyridin 03-22-2022 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedred (Post 9054713)
Rack is mounted. Waiting on the bump steer kit. Then I will see if this deal is gonna work or make to the scrap pile.

Before anyone ask. No it’s not worth the effort.

Looking good! Hopefully you can figure the mess out to make it usable. I'm not sure who else makes them, but FatMan suspensions has their own style tie rod ends for that rack with an extended taper stud.

wickedred 03-22-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9054879)
Looking good! Hopefully you can figure the mess out to make it usable. I'm not sure who else makes them, but FatMan suspensions has their own style tie rod ends for that rack with an extended taper stud.

I bought a Bump steer kit from Team Z Motorsports. It requires you to drill the spindle. I am determined to make it work.

Joyridin 06-14-2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedred (Post 9054933)
I bought a Bump steer kit from Team Z Motorsports. It requires you to drill the spindle. I am determined to make it work.

Having any luck getting the Flat-Out Wrong Engineering front end to work?

wickedred 06-18-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9090715)
Having any luck getting the Flat-Out Wrong Engineering front end to work?

I have been sitting here looking at it for a few months. I can make it work with the current Rack and Pinion. Just leaning more towards the Sweet MFG servo racks. I seem to Hate Money and can't make up my mind what direction I am going with the C10 in general.

SCOTI 06-18-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedred (Post 9092060)
I have been sitting here looking at it for a few months. I can make it work with the current Rack and Pinion. Just leaning more towards the Sweet MFG servo racks. I seem to Hate Money and can't make up my mind what direction I am going with the C10 in general.

Hate sounds so harsh 🤣

wickedred 06-19-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9092212)
Hate sounds so harsh 🤣

LOL. To many expensive hobbies between me and my two boys. In the process of an aluminum head 383 swap in my 1984 K5 Blazer daily driver. you know, sense 93 octane gas is $5 a gallon.

SCOTI 06-20-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedred (Post 9092377)
LOL. To many expensive hobbies between me and my two boys. In the process of an aluminum head 383 swap in my 1984 K5 Blazer daily driver. you know, sense 93 octane gas is $5 a gallon.

I hear ya. Crazy thing is try to find a performance based 'built' motor that can live on the cheap swill. I've been seeking combo's that would live on 87 but still make good power. Larger stroked displacement to offset the lower compression. It's been harder than I thought finding something.

Joyridin 06-20-2022 08:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9092697)
I hear ya. Crazy thing is try to find a performance based 'built' motor that can live on the cheap swill. I've been seeking combo's that would live on 87 but still make good power. Larger stroked displacement to offset the lower compression. It's been harder than I thought finding something.

That is why I went with this LT engine. 11.5 CR on pump 89 octane. Can't beat that and with a 6 speed auto, it should get some decent mileage.

SCOTI 06-20-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9092698)
That is why I went with this LT engine. 11.5 CR on pump 89 octane. Can't beat that and with a 6 speed auto, it should get some decent mileage.

I should have mentioned 'on a budget'. Swapping to the newest GEN GM motors is a wise choice if one is prepared for the level of investment. I can't swing that coin & imagine there are many others in the boat w/me.

I was reading some details on them & they are technologically impressive.

Joyridin 06-20-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9092699)
I should have mentioned 'on a budget'. Swapping to the newest GEN GM motors is a wise choice if one is prepared for the level of investment. I can't swing that coin & imagine there are many others in the boat w/me.

You will have $6k in a used engine if you install it yourself. That would include headers, driveshaft, engine, trans, and wiring modification. Not really a bad deal when you consider what a rebuilt engine would cost. You can pick the L83 up for under $4k with pretty low mileage. The one I found had 30k for $3500 with trans.

SCOTI 06-20-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9092700)
You will have $6k in a used engine if you install it yourself. That would include headers, driveshaft, engine, trans, and wiring modification. Not really a bad deal when you consider what a rebuilt engine would cost. You can pick the L83 up for under $4k with pretty low mileage. The one I found had 30k for $3500 with trans.

I've seen them & 100% agree they're the way to go if you're jumping in the technology end of the pool.

I dont care fot the 6/8speed transmissions. I like to be able to manually shift when desired & don't care for paddle shift options. I'm wading in the kiddie pool :lol:

Joyridin 06-21-2022 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9092725)
I've seen them & 100% agree they're the way to go if you're jumping in the technology end of the pool.

I dont care fot the 6/8speed transmissions. I like to be able to manually shift when desired & don't care for paddle shift options. I'm wading in the kiddie pool :lol:

I do not have paddle shift. It is literally a 3 way toggle switch that returns to center. I have to come up with something better, but I rarely upshift or downshift manually anyhow.

wickedred 06-22-2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9092698)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9092700)

Truck looks awesome Bro. I'd love to find an LT engine trans setup for $3500'ish. I'd go that way in a heartbeat at this point.

Joyridin 06-23-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedred (Post 9093349)
Truck looks awesome Bro. I'd love to find an LT engine trans setup for $3500'ish. I'd go that way in a heartbeat at this point.

It is an L83 and they are not super hard to find for that price range. The L86 (6.2l) jumps the price about $2-3k. Throw in a cam, headers, lifters, do a tune and you have a bit over 450 hp. Add an intake and you are over 500. Not bad for a little 5.3 liter.

The Rocknrod 06-24-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9092699)

I'm still getting 16mpg on mine. :)

SCOTI 06-24-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 9094450)
I'm still getting 16mpg on mine. :)

Brother..... You don't have to sell me on an OG SBC!
While not as efficient, it can do well enough that it doesn't matter.

wickedred 06-27-2022 06:46 AM

Buddy of mine that I do some turbo fab work for gave me a L83 5.3L. needs some work and I am gonna go through it anyway. So the C10 engine is taken care of.