The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NASCAR: Next GEN Cars (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829964)

57taskforce 02-06-2022 10:51 PM

Re: NASCAR: Next GEN Cars

You can hear the difference in exhaust tone just on the incar alone. I’m probably gonna go to Phoenix in a couple weeks. If I end up going I’ll return and report. I’ve been to plenty enough of them in person to know the difference in old vs new.

Steeveedee 02-07-2022 12:54 AM

The beer concession probably brought in more than a megabuck, just sayin'.

RenoKeene 02-08-2022 09:31 PM

I've always been a NASCAR fan, I had to pull my car over on the side of the road and cry like a baby when I heard Adam Petty was killed.
Now with the politics and all I'm done. Moving the numbers forward like euro-trash racing was the last straw.

Dirt's72 02-12-2022 11:38 AM

I was into nascar quite a bit up until Jimmy Johnson was winning everything. Kinda lost interest then. I watched a show mtv cribs and seen some of these guys dog houses were bigger than my house. But I still watch. Lots of times the lady and I will crash out once the cars get going something about the sound means its time for a nap. Last two seasons were pretty good I like Larson he's part Filipino like me and is a hell of a driver. Not so sure about the lugnut deletion deal. I agree too they sound different now like something winding up.
Although Loganos car sounded nice after he won last week. I'll never forget the sound at Talladega when the cars are on the backstretch made the hair on my arms stand up.

57taskforce 02-12-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt's72 (Post 9033749)
I was into nascar quite a bit up until Jimmy Johnson was winning everything. Kinda lost interest then. I watched a show mtv cribs and seen some of these guys dog houses were bigger than my house. But I still watch. Lots of times the lady and I will crash out once the cars get going something about the sound means its time for a nap. Last two seasons were pretty good I like Larson he's part Filipino like me and is a hell of a driver. Not so sure about the lugnut deletion deal. I agree too they sound different now like something winding up.
Although Loganos car sounded nice after he won last week. I'll never forget the sound at Talladega when the cars are on the backstretch made the hair on my arms stand up.

For sure! The first time they go off into one at the start of the race in person always does that to me. Something I’ll always love.

Boog 02-12-2022 02:07 PM

Any mention of Talladega gets my attention. I love that track. Been there once. The sound of a large pack of stock cars hauling around there is music to my ears. I'm eager to see these new cars there.

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2022 04:50 PM

Daytona 500 time!!!

So, one of the cars lost a wheel on the track already today :lol:

Edit to add: Another car had one of the forged wheels break apart somehow. Not sure if it was a loose wheel or something else. The tire kept rolling on its own until it stopped in the grass.

First two cautions related to wheel issues

Troy Sr 02-20-2022 04:59 PM

And now another one broke a wheel!! Five lug steel rules!!!

57taskforce 02-20-2022 06:08 PM

Sure as hell didn’t take them long to launch one:lol: glad everyone was ok in that one. Byron hit the safer barrier pretty hard.
I agree on the wheels and lug nuts 100%.

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2022 06:52 PM

I'm wondering if the new rear diffusers helped contribute to Harrison Burton's flip. In one of the shots, you could see that he was not bumped by another car when it started to flip, and the rear flipped first. Speculation on my part here, though. Aerodynamics were all sorts of messed up with the cars spinning around him.
Those safer barriers are great for absorbing the impacts

SCOTI 02-20-2022 07:10 PM

I intended to watch but was over @ my buddys shop playing w/Model-A stuff.

57taskforce 02-20-2022 08:03 PM

I wasn’t as impressed with the new car at Daytona. I felt like it was a whole lot harder to pass compared to the old car. The good ole days of the late 90’s-early 2000’s we’re my favorite all time plate races. 3 wide the whole race 60-70+ lead changes. The last 15-20 years hasn’t been as fun for me at Daytona and talladega.

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2022 08:14 PM

The finish was in typical, Daytona fashion... a wreck was involved :lol:

Boog 02-20-2022 08:42 PM

They've got to do some rethinking on the independent rear suspension though. There were numerous broken rear links after a spin but not hitting anyone else.
Hamlin's was one of them.
Quite a start for Cindric. Rookie wins Daytona 500!!! Oh and his father is an officer in the Penske organization. ;)
Where was the Hendrick power?

Go Kyle Larson

57taskforce 02-20-2022 09:19 PM

Reddick broke a toe link without even being hit I saw it right away on the first replay. Before they played the team audio. I was talking to dad earlier and we were saying the front and rear suspension doesn’t seem nearly as durable as the old car was.

Larson is on my list:lol:! Typical racing deal 100% but it was looking like Harv might have been able to atleast get close to the top 5.

Sheepdip 02-20-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Sr (Post 9037563)
And now another one broke a wheel!! Five lug steel rules!!!

Yeah they definitely need to rethink those wheels. NASCAR supposedly is all about safety, but I don't see how those wheels coming apart like they did won't sometime in the future get someone seriously hurt. Steel bends aluminum/alloys break.

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2022 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9037653)
Where was the Hendrick power?

Go Kyle Larson

Bowman and Byron got wrecked out when the 21 flipped.
Elliot probably have a 15th place car, but with all the wrecks, ended up 10th. Larson might have had something to win, but also got wrecked towards the end

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9039160)
Yeah they definitely need to rethink those wheels. NASCAR supposedly is all about safety, but I don't see how those wheels coming apart like they did won't sometime in the future get someone seriously hurt. Steel bends aluminum/alloys break.

The first wheel that came off didn't break at all. The second one that came off did break, but the car was still able to drive back to the pits on the rotor. On all the other cars that wrecked, the wheels looked fine, but the suspension components broke.
I did notice that if both tires on one side went down, it was really easy to get stuck

57taskforce 02-20-2022 10:59 PM

I was kinda thinking the woods missed a sponsorship opportunity with the belly pan on the 21. That would have generated a lot of attention beings it’s the first time one of the new cars got into the air.
I watched a clip of the xfinity race earlier. Now That was a nasty wreck on the backstretch.

Boog 02-21-2022 12:20 AM

Byron was done but Bowman made it back in and was running at the end. Chase had a mid pack car. Larson made it up to 3rd late in the race then was involved in a big wreck.
Yeah, Saturday's Xfinity race had a big wreck when the car got all up in the fence, right in front of Michael Jordan. He got up close and personal to the action. :lol: Ripped the engine right out of the car and sent it tumbling on fire to the infield. Ripped the rear axle and wheels off. And the driver got out with apparently no injuries. The roll cage did it's job!
I think the shorter 1 1/2 mile tracks will put more pressure on the wheels and suspension parts due to high speeds and tighter turns, not to mention the shortest tracks or the road courses.

cwcarpenter98 02-21-2022 01:03 AM

Boog, I missed that Bowman was still out on the track.

Y'all are right about the Xfinity wreck. That one was wild. That type of wreck used to always be potentially deadly or at least had major injuries involved. Now, drivers can walk away from a wreck like that. Nascar has done a great job of making the cars safe

Dirt's72 02-22-2022 10:58 PM

The chevy's qualified the fastest but fords drafted faster with the lower hood design is what I heard. Just glad the 12 car didnt win. I remember Dale E. in an interview said to just watch the start of the race and then go and mow the lawn and come back for the last few laps.

67ChevyRedneck 02-23-2022 10:41 AM

I actually "watched" the 500 (meaning I slept through half of it). It actually wasn't terrible. I kinda like that the cars have all sorts of different wheels now.