The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   71 K20 Idaho Edition (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812046)

57taskforce 12-11-2020 01:48 PM

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

Funny, I’ve noticed the same thing. It’s almost like sometimes the truck is just saying, “just let me die in peace damn it!” :lol:

Ol Blue K20 12-12-2020 11:19 AM

Wow! 2 grinders in a day. The scratch and ding sure add to the GRRRRR factor. But the bed front looks good!

landarts 12-23-2020 08:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been busy the last week or so trying to get to the cab painting. Pulled off the front fenders and hood since they will need some additional work done on all of them to get them ready for paint. It will also give me access to paint the cab properly.

Worked on the passenger door wet sanding down some of the nicks and small scratches. Before I removed it from the cab I drilled two 1/8" holes in each hinge for reference locators. I have used this method and it really helps when you are putting them back on as a one man job. Spent a couple of days just getting all of the old glue off of the door jambs and stripping down the rocker to clean them up a little better than the previous owner who replaced the rockers at some point. Once I got them stripped and a few rounds of filler to dress them up i put on a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer. I like to use this sometimes for filling sand marks and getting it ready for primmer.

Last thing I did on the cab where the hinges were I brushed a coat Ospho to treat the metal.

landarts 12-23-2020 08:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After getting the door removed on the passenger side and laying on a saw horse so I could address the bottom half of the door. There was a few rust spots that needed attention. I took a large hooked screwdriver type tool and poked along the bottom section to force holes so I can identify and make the repairs needed. There was one section that needed to be cut out with a grinder and proceeded to replace with some new metal.

Once I got the rust areas addressed I worked the area with a flap disc and a small air grinder. Then added some filler to smooth out a few areas where the bottom of the door had a few dings. After a few rounds of filler and skim coats i put to layers of SEM high build primer from a spray can that I had left over from another project.

landarts 12-23-2020 08:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Set up the passenger and the drivers fender to finish off a few areas that needed attention before getting paint. Also need to address the other areas that need paint that goes under the hood. Fenders take sometime to get them right on both sides. After it is all said in done I will spray both sides of the fender and spray the underside of the fender with the 3M undercoating. Again when I got the fender areas where I needed them I brushed on a thick coat of red primer to fill the sand marks and get them closer for primer.

While those items were drying I worked on wet sanding the roof skin I replaced a few weeks ago with 400 wet and dry paper. Roof is in real good shape now and ready for seam sealer and primer.

landarts 12-23-2020 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Spent half a day just doing seam sealer in the jambs and roof area. Used a different product than I normally use and it was a real fight to get it looking right. the product name was Fisor seam sealer, I usually use one of the 3M seam sealers. Went to use the what I had left from the last time but it was toast. then tried to get some ordered but it was going to take to long to get it so I bought the Fisor product from paint supplier I use.

Got the areas primed that needed it and got the truck masked off for paint. Started shooting paint this afternoon and was able to get three coats of color on the cab. It feels great to get some color on the cab after all of the work it takes to get to this point. There where a few areas that will need to be addressed once the paint cures for a couple of days. I saw two places where I got something small in the paint and I found a few spots that have a run or two. Both of these items can be taken care of without having to repaint.

Ol Blue K20 12-24-2020 07:32 AM

It's looking good. COLOR!! YEAH!!

Greg58 12-24-2020 11:34 AM

You have been busy, no wonder we have not heard anything for a bit!
Keep it up.

Greg

landarts 12-24-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8854014)
It's looking good. COLOR!! YEAH!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg58 (Post 8854071)
You have been busy, no wonder we have not heard anything for a bit!
Keep it up.

Greg

Thanks guys I appreciate the follow. It is exciting to get some color on the cab and getting close to painting the fenders and hood soon.
Also have a large order of parts coming in the next few days so that is always an exciting part of the build. Stay tuned more to come.

landarts 12-24-2020 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Was able to get the truck bed out of the driveway and onto the truck this morning after a complete shop cleanup. Went out this morning and removed all the masking, paper and plastic from the truck then took down the temporary plastic sheeting I use for a make shift paint booth. Then cleaned up the shop and got the truck ready for the bed to be put back on.

I used the tool I made a few months back to remove the bed in conjunction with my engine hoist. This makes it a one man job and the bed is totally level for installation. I put a large sheet of 2" pink foam against the cab as a precautionary measure so take away the chance of scratching the new paint. Went on with out any issues, will still need to push the bed up closer for a full install and bolt it down. Will not be doing that until I fix a few small runs along the back.

Next up will be the fenders and then the doors, hood, cowl. Remainder of the bed will be the last thing painted and the inside of bed will be done with Upol Raptor liner in black.

Rickysnickers 12-24-2020 05:20 PM

Very nice job!!!

57taskforce 12-24-2020 06:04 PM

Great work, that cab came out awesome!

Ol Blue K20 12-25-2020 09:29 AM

Looking good!

best view 12-25-2020 07:37 PM

Looks like you’ve had some good weather

landarts 12-25-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8854693)
Looks like you’ve had some good weather

Kenny, not really. I install a 50k btu gas heater in garage about five years ago. I crank up the heat to about 75 degrees the day before I am going to paint. Turn it off then spray, when done I wait a few hours for the paint to flash then open up garage doors at both ends to flush out any smell. Then turn the heat back on and let it cook. All painting done in garage with a temporary paint booth setup.

landarts 12-25-2020 08:11 PM

By the way forgot to say "Merry Christmas".

landarts 12-27-2020 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to put the fenders, doors and hood back on. Need the garage for a couple of days. Took about 1.5 hours to get things temporarily bolted back on so it is drivable.

best view 12-27-2020 07:48 PM

Had to look twice said to myself didn’t he paint the cab lol

Ol Blue K20 12-27-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8855316)

X2....:lol:

landarts 12-27-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8855316)

Cab is painted and back of bed front has paint. Had to put doors, fenders and hood on. Need the garage for a couple of days to work on a LS motor in my Silverado. Have to use a heated garge or the work will not get done on my Silverado. Need to replace the cam bearings and a few other items.

landarts 01-08-2021 12:29 PM

Had to take a pause for a few days to work on the 2009 Silverado. During that time I tweaked my back again so a few more days on the mend and back to getting the other items painted. Also received my large order from Classic Industries for this truck. Freight dropped of 7 boxes, cant wait to start putting on the new.

Greg58 01-08-2021 07:38 PM

Get better!
Then keep us posted.

Greg

Ol Blue K20 01-08-2021 07:47 PM

I hope you're feeling better soon.....

best view 01-08-2021 08:35 PM

And I can’t wait to watch u put it on lol ,don’t rush the back u want to enjoy doing it

landarts 01-10-2021 11:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After sitting around for a week trying to let my back heal I could not stand it anymore and headed out into the garage to see if I could move the ball forward just a little. I had recently painted the outside of the cab and jam areas. The paint turned out great with virtually no orange peel. However I did have a few run areas that needed to be addressed. So I decided today was the day and that would be something I could do without putting stress on lower back.

I spent some time while healing to see what others do when there are runs in the paint. What I found is that are several ways to fix runs. One that I thought I would try was using a straight razor blade that you put a slight bend into it and round off the both ends to prevent a gouge. I figured the worst thing that would happen is that I would have to sand the area down a bit and feather out and respray.

First I want to say that I am not a professional, I do this as a hobby and enjoy the challenges and learning something new on every build. I try to push myself to do something different or try to do something on the build I have never done before. This is one of those situation, fixing runs in a fresh paint job.

So here is what I did in this order.
  • Opened a new box of blades and bent one slightly so it has a slight curve shape
  • Then I grabbed a piece of 220 grit wet dry paper and rounded off both of the ends so it would not grab and cause a gouge
  • I proceeded to drag the razor across the top of each run holding the blade horizontal, you actually hear a scrapping sound
  • After the run was flush to the existing paint I stopped
  • Then I grabbed the 3M 3000grit Trizact and cut a little square off and glued to the end of a large popsicle stick, tongue depressor size
  • Soaked it in water for a while and began sand the area with the 3000 grit to smooth everything out to prepare for 3" buffer
  • Once I was satisfied with the area smoothness I moved onto the 3" buffer with a yellow pad and used the Groit's fast correction cream
  • Then just buffed with a microfiber towel

I was very happy with how it turned out and I feel like I learned something new today so it was a great day in the shop. The rest of the afternoon I addressed a few area on top off the roof that had some dust nibs. I knocked those down with some 3M Trizact then buffed with buffer.

best view 01-10-2021 08:57 PM

They have proved using your back is better than not using it but not to over do

Ol Blue K20 01-10-2021 09:09 PM

I have a nib file for repairing runs dust etc...

landarts 01-15-2021 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well the back is feeling better after a few acupuncture treatments and I was able to get back out in the shop early this afternoon. next up on the plate is getting the two front fenders into primer and paint along with hood. I usually hang the fenders from wires in the garage and have had good success, but this time I wanted to put together a little paint tree that will be adjustable for how high you can go and be able to pull the uprights out so it makes it easy for storing when not in use.

Put together this version so I can bolt two fenders onto the outriggers and also at the bottom back of the fender for stability. I can raise the height up to about 16" higher than it sits in the picture which as at about 3'6", so at max height of 5'. I will also add some welded on washers across the top to allow for paint wires for other small parts like hinges, cowl, glove box, a board with several bolt heads, etc. I am working on another slide in adapter for upright for the doors to be attached by the hinges.

Some if all goes well I will have a few more paint pictures coming soon, then I will be tearing down the interior for paint prep.

68Gold/white 02-03-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8853847)
After getting the door removed on the passenger side and laying on a saw horse so I could address the bottom half of the door. There was a few rust spots that needed attention. I took a large hooked screwdriver type tool and poked along the bottom section to force holes so I can identify and make the repairs needed. There was one section that needed to be cut out with a grinder and proceeded to replace with some new metal.

Once I got the rust areas addressed I worked the area with a flap disc and a small air grinder. Then added some filler to smooth out a few areas where the bottom of the door had a few dings. After a few rounds of filler and skim coats i put to layers of SEM high build primer from a spray can that I had left over from another project.

Keep up the good work!!!
Your rust welder works a LOT better than mine!!!

70stroker 02-19-2021 01:25 PM

Truck is looking great!!

best view 03-04-2021 09:09 AM

It must be done by now we need updates lol

best view 04-16-2021 09:43 PM

Is this done yet ,I miss this ,watching these trucks fixed

landarts 05-07-2021 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well it has been a little over 3 months since last progress report. Been healing up my back from the last go around with my lower back ruptured disc issue. Also spent some time helping and moving a loved one to assisted living.

In the background I have got a few things done with a few of the K20's trucks so they can be sold. I have a friend that quit his full time job to make a go at repairing and build a few projects for some customers. So I decided since I could not work on the trucks for a bit while I was healing I would get a few things done so I could sell a few.

First was a (pic 1) Blue 72 Custom Deluxe K20 I purchased last November from a forum member. When I received the truck it was not running and had been stripped of a few items on the truck. With some of the spare items I had in the garage and a few purchased items, it is now a running driving truck that is going to be sold soon. I am not going to do anything else with truck but let it go.

Second truck (pic 2) was a Bronze 72 Custom K20 I picked about two years ago. The truck was complete when the P.O. bought it and drove it for about six months, then he decided to restore it. He tore it down and started to do the rocker and floor repair then decided it was too much work and sold it in pieces to me. I have traded this truck to my friend that is doing repairs for a 67 Suburban and a 8.1 Vortec motor. Those two items will become a K20 4x4 crew cab truck in the near future.

Third truck (pic 3) is a Orange/Red 68 K2500 long bed stepper truck I picked up at the beginning of Covid. I sold the motor that was in that truck and installed a 292 motor last summer. It needed a few more items wrapped up so it can be a running driving truck. Once it gets back I will be selling this truck also.

Back in the shop this weekend, anxious to get back into the build so progress post and pictures coming for the 71 K20 Idaho Edition project.

Greg58 05-08-2021 04:32 PM

Glad to hear you are healing up.

Greg

Ol Blue K20 05-08-2021 07:48 PM

Keep healing, the trucks will still be there when you're ready. I look forward to future updates but take care of you first and foremost.

CG 05-09-2021 11:36 AM

That long stepper could be a really neat truck. I hope I dont see an ad for it when you are ready to sell. Im having a very hard time sticking to my dont buy anymore stuff deal with myself haha!

best view 06-12-2021 09:35 PM

Jim are you going to finish this truck or do I have to come out there , and I won’t know what iam doing so that won’t be good lol :chevy:

landarts 08-27-2021 11:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally back in saddle on the build. Been doing all kinds of truck stuff in the background over the last couple of months. Acquiring other trucks and selling a few, collecting parts for future builds, purchasing tools and multiple parts. Was able to get three K20's running and driving that were left for dead. Know I feel like I can concentrate on this project and push it across the finish line.

One of the items I purchased was a new 60 Gal Ingersol Rand compressor (picture #5). Installed the 220 power for it and while I was trying to move it by myself and slip the vibration mat under it the compressor got off balance and started to fall, so I let it go and it hit the corner of the cab that was already finished and painted. So the redo for that area was the first item I had to take care of (picture #2). Had the spot light on it for a couple hours drying out the filler primer so I could knock it down one more time before repainting. Nice to have a compressor that will keep up with the DA sander but not nice to have to redo items.

Also spent some time on finishing most of the wet sanding on the fenders and some of the last of the filler work on the bed. The long strip of filler toward the front is where I pulled the long crease a while back with stud welder and the Steck Lever, the is actually only about a 1/16th or so of filler there. One day I hope to work a crease like that with just metal finishing, but for now I will have to rely on some filler to get it right.

Last two items is in (picture #3) I purchased a crew cab project for a future build. It came with all the sheet metal for cab, glass and front clip. I will be putting this on one of my K20 trucks probably the rough 72 GMC Super Custom K20 I picked up from Wyoming last year. I have a 8.1 Vortec motor for the build and a few other items stashed away.

Picture number 4 is my first stab at my new laser addition to my CNC machine. Put a few items together and did a test burn on a piece of scrap pine I had in the shop. I think this is really going to be a fun addition to the shop tools. Already dreaming up a few projects in mind for the laser.

57taskforce 08-27-2021 04:28 PM

Nice progress, sucks when you have to redo work already done but it happens. At least your new compressor is kicking up and running. That etching looks really cool. You could make yourself a little side business just doing etching work I’d bet. I can’t wait to see you build the crew. That’s one of my dream projects, I’ll get to it one of these days.

Dieselwrencher 08-28-2021 07:48 AM

So much awesomeness in your threads! First off, awesome work on this truck. Your metal and body work looks super nice. I also like you do this in a normal garage and I know I share the same struggles as you. :lol:

What a sweet score on that crew cab. One of these is on my build list too. Sorry to hear about the dent in the cab. It's always something. I have the same compressor in my garage and it has been great. Now that I think of it, it is going on year #7 and I haven't had any issues other than a leaking drain valve.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished. I have a 71 K20 in the same color combo but it is much worse. I just actually picked up a new floor for it I just need 72hr days to get some stuff done. :lol:

That laser would be sweet for sure! It would be cool to make some type of thin wood overlay for the glove box doors where you could burn logos or whatever on them. You could probably sell a lot of them.