The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1971 Stepside LS Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768975)

1971Stepside 03-17-2022 10:04 AM

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

3 Attachment(s)
Starting to make some changes to things now that I have some miles on the truck. The first thing I had to correct was the Entropy fan(s). Fan 1 likes to run a lot. It's loud...very loud. To the point I cringe when it kicks on at stop lights and pulling into shows LOL. beaterku is my resident electrical engineer and he attempted to send me several wire diagrams of how to add the third relay. I finally figured it out by him telling me red wire to black wire, orange wire to pink wire, etc. :lol::lol::lol:

Now the fans both kick on at half speed and you can't even hear them. Need to finish cleaning up the wiring but really happy to have this modification done.

MDPotter 03-17-2022 10:18 AM

Ah yes, the 3-relay setup. Somewhat confusing for sure. Will probably attempt this with our current project with GM fans from an 04 Escalade.

Have you reached the point of wanting to do more upgrades to your truck? I have.

1971Stepside 03-17-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Have you reached the point of wanting to do more upgrades to your truck?
You mean besides wanting a supercharger, full QA1 suspension, and new accessory drive? My wife likes not having a "truck" budget so it will be awhile.

I also have a new daily driver coming so that also killed my dreams on the C10

MDPotter 03-17-2022 10:59 AM

Now you're speaking my language. I just did the 5 lug conversion/truetrac/wheels and tires I've been wanting but where does it stop? 67/68 Chevy front end conversion, rear coil conversion, tubular front control arms, forced induction/engine rebuild, different seats, Holley Terminator, gauges. It's a dangerous rabbit hole.

I have the same challenges. New vehicle for the wife, new house both on the horizon.

TA_C10 03-17-2022 11:18 AM

Those tidy wires make me happy :)

PB arms and sway bar btw are awesome. More clearance for wider tires. I too want to dig into the engine now. I'm actually thinking about grabbing another motor, doing a stroker kit and new accessory drive. Would love this DD to have a smooth 500hp to the wheels :metal:

Because this truck is my DD, no supercharger, but it sure would look sweet in your engine bay Shannon....

Thealien 03-17-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 9052492)
Starting to make some changes to things now that I have some miles on the truck. The first thing I had to correct was the Entropy fan(s). Fan 1 likes to run a lot. It's loud...very loud. To the point I cringe when it kicks on at stop lights and pulling into shows LOL. beaterku is my resident electrical engineer and he attempted to send me several wire diagrams of how to add the third relay. I finally figured it out by him telling me red wire to black wire, orange wire to pink wire, etc. :lol::lol::lol:

Now the fans both kick on at half speed and you can't even hear them. Need to finish cleaning up the wiring but really happy to have this modification done.

Not happy with my Entropy fans either. I’m thinking of going with A PWM controller?

1971Stepside 03-17-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Not happy with my Entropy fans either. I’m thinking of going with A PWM controller?
You might try this setup first. It is quiet as can be now. I already was running two of the relays for the fans and just added the third in the loop. I think it was $40 and about and hour and two beers.

68Gold/white 03-17-2022 01:10 PM

Lol, I was trying to figure out what that beverage was in post 876. Looks like it could be an energy drink, or an anti energy drink...

1971Stepside 03-17-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Lol, I was trying to figure out what that beverage was in post 876. Looks like it could be an energy drink, or an anti energy drink...
Ahhh, one of the many fine beverages from New Belgium Brewery's Voo Doo Ranger collection. Definitely an energy drink until about 5 of them :)

KevinK7 03-17-2022 03:10 PM

I just read through 30+ pages of work lol. The truck came out amazing, I'll admit, I'm not a huge 'silver' fan, but combined with the red, it looks incredible. Kudos on some amazing work ; )

Thealien 03-17-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 9052548)
You might try this setup first. It is quiet as can be now. I already was running two of the relays for the fans and just added the third in the loop. I think it was $40 and about and hour and two beers.

You happen to have the wiring diagram handy would you? Or a link to it?

Thanks
Mark

1971Stepside 03-17-2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

I just read through 30+ pages of work lol. The truck came out amazing, I'll admit, I'm not a huge 'silver' fan, but combined with the red, it looks incredible. Kudos on some amazing work ; )
Thank you. It wasn't originally going to be silver but I'm glad I went that route. At the time it was pretty unique. Now I'm seeing lots of sliver/greys and reds.

Quote:

You happen to have the wiring diagram handy would you? Or a link to it?
I have what beaterku made up for me. PM me a number and I will text it to you.

my kids toy 03-17-2022 07:23 PM

I would like the 3rd relay also, I have loud fans as well with a different brand of fans.
sending PM

1971Stepside 07-11-2022 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bring this old thread back to the top since I have an update. Attended the SETN this past weekend and was honored to receive the Best Step Side award at the show! Blown away by the feedback I received from people in the field of 1,750 total trucks. Super happy my wife was able to attend this one and see the truck win.

MDPotter 07-11-2022 12:19 PM

Congrats, that says a lot about your truck and the work you put into it.

Hope you've been driving it and enjoying it!

TexasLS1 07-11-2022 12:34 PM

Dude that is awesome and well deserved. Congrats, that is a sweet trophy!!

Rickysnickers 07-11-2022 07:38 PM

Why would you be surprised? You did a fabulous job on the truck!!!

regan wilson 07-11-2022 09:02 PM

Congrats! That's a nice truck for sure.

1971Stepside 07-12-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Congrats, that says a lot about your truck and the work you put into it.

Hope you've been driving it and enjoying it!
Thanks MD. Yes, it gets driven weekly when the weather cooperates.

Quote:

Dude that is awesome and well deserved. Congrats, that is a sweet trophy!!
Thank you!!

Quote:

Why would you be surprised? You did a fabulous job on the truck!!!
Judging is tough. I go to these bigger shows and I just don't see how you pick winners because there are so many well done trucks. I feel it comes down to some luck that you had what the judges like that day. This show had 1750 trucks with only 17 total awards given out. And you know how it is with your own stuff...you know the flaws so you assume everyone else does.

Quote:

Congrats! That's a nice truck for sure.
Appreciate that!

1971Stepside 09-08-2022 09:28 AM

After two long years of tinkering I finally have the AC going! Seemed like everything I tried was a dead end and just couldn't get it to blow cold. Finally, I decided to go back through all the wiring I was sure I had done perfectly the first time. Well, I didn't. The fan switch in Vintage Air's diagram is labeled B>H>L for the prongs top to bottom. Turns out that is upside down on the actual fan switch. Flipped the wires and COLD AIR!!!!

I should have paid more attention to that detail when I was under there the first time.