The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Headers to 2.5" Ramhorns (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=329216)

Effeckt 06-23-2012 06:49 PM

Re: Headers to 2.5" Ramhorns

So I am finally getting around to looking into getting these. I don't love the alternator mount but don't really have the means/tools to remove it. Is there a set that will fit without the alternator mount? Like the 674-501? I'm guessing not or there would be more talk about them. Would there be any figment issues if I just left the alternator mount on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaros44sr 06-23-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effeckt (Post 5450748)
So I am finally getting around to looking into getting these. I don't love the alternator mount but don't really have the means/tools to remove it. Is there a set that will fit without the alternator mount? Like the 674-501? I'm guessing not or there would be more talk about them. Would there be any figment issues if I just left the alternator mount on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends on which ones you buy, when i bought mine, i had to buy the same manifold for the right and left side. So, with that being said, the alt. mount will be located at the back of the engine on one side. And it does hit the firewall, so in my case i had to cut it off.

It was really easy to cut with a angle grinder, and a cutoff wheel

Heavy Evy 06-23-2012 10:56 PM

Not to brag but I picked up a used original set locally for 30 bucks! They're going on my truck ASAP since they didn't clear on my Nova. How do you guys like the dormans?
Posted via Mobile Device

SeventyOne 06-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Got a buddy with a grinder? It literally takes 20 minutes per manifold to remove the bracket and "sculpt" the metal to look right. Then hit it with some manifold paint.

jaros44sr 06-26-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Might be a good time to start a tool collection, really not much money if you go to harbor freight. Just a thought, but an angle grinder with a cut off wheel went thru it like a hot knife through butter...

BTW, nice looking truck!

Effeckt 06-26-2012 11:24 PM

Thanks Jaros! Time to really start investing in this thing. It's not running properly right now, so I'm working on that now and these manifolds are part of the process. The plan is to use my tax return next year to get some color on it as well. I have some tools but not a ton of power tools. I have a buddy that likely will have one. If it's that easy then time to make a trip to his place!

Effeckt 03-04-2013 12:13 PM

Another quick question on these, when they came in, there was a slip in there recommending not using a gasket to mount these to the block. I'm hesitant to go that route and wanted to see what others did/used for theirs.

rsavage 03-05-2013 07:52 AM

I have never mounted exhaust manifolds without gaskets nor have I seen it done. Why go through the work only to find out that there are leaks. Stock exhaust manifolds had gaskets. Why would aftermarket manifolds, most likely cast overseas, not need them? If it were me, I'd use gaskets.

Effeckt 03-05-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 5928305)
I have never mounted exhaust manifolds without gaskets nor have I seen it done. Why go through the work only to find out that there are leaks. Stock exhaust manifolds had gaskets. Why would aftermarket manifolds, most likely cast overseas, not need them? If it were me, I'd use gaskets.

That's what I thought too but I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Thanks for the feedback.

BB72CHEVKT 03-07-2013 12:34 PM

I am not running gaskets based off info from this board and I have no leaks. I ran gaskets on my 69 and had leaks.

jaros44sr 03-07-2013 03:22 PM

JMHO, not saying anyone is right or wrong, but this topic has been debated a long time.....probably since the internal combustion engine was invented

I think if your surfaces are true and flat, plus using oem locking plates, you could get away with a copper shield sealant. Anyway, thats what i plan to do, and you guys will the first to know if that system fails

I think the gaskets fail because the bolts arent retoqued after several heat cool cycles, wrong bolts, and failure to use the mechanical locking plates:smoke:

NuBomb 03-08-2013 09:13 PM

Has anyone bought the Wysco ones from Jegs? I'm thinking about ordering them this weekend.

jaros44sr 03-08-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuBomb (Post 5935308)
Has anyone bought the Wysco ones from Jegs? I'm thinking about ordering them this weekend.

Na, mine were Dormanns

Ole Beater 03-09-2013 01:48 PM

They look like the dormans with all the grinding work already done.

NuBomb 03-11-2013 07:24 PM

It looks like they are just a little more money, but you don't have to grind on them. I'm just checking here to make sure they aren't junk.

CrewCab59 03-15-2013 02:04 PM

Are you guy just using the 2 1/2 header collector for these?

Thanks

jaros44sr 03-15-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrewCab59 (Post 5949003)
Are you guy just using the 2 1/2 header collector for these?

Thanks

I bought my 3 bolt ring from a corvette parts supplier, then the muffler shop just put a flare on the downpipe

Two styles available, one is bent sheetmetal, and the other is a piece of solid steel

Also, ive heard of the donuts failing, so get the one with a metal sleeve

CrewCab59 03-16-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5949026)
I bought my 3 bolt ring from a corvette parts supplier, then the muffler shop just put a flare on the downpipe

Two styles available, one is bent sheetmetal, and the other is a piece of solid steel

Thanks !

1966 08-21-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5949026)

I got my manifolds & cut off the brackets. Got my downpipe. Trying to figure out how to mate the downpipe to the manifold. I bought the manifolds w/o the heat tube and they came w/ the donut gaskets...

Do I use a Ball Joint style fitting and slip the 3-bolt flange behind it (donut inside the ball joint)?

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...s/receiver.jpg

Or do I need something like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gearbox-yea...=450&width=600

jaros44sr 08-21-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966 (Post 6810980)
I got my manifolds & cut off the brackets. Got my downpipe. Trying to figure out how to mate the downpipe to the manifold. I bought the manifolds w/o the heat tube and they came w/ the donut gaskets...

Do I use a Ball Joint style fitting and slip the 3-bolt flange behind it (donut inside the ball joint)?

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...s/receiver.jpg

Or do I need something like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gearbox-yea...=450&width=600

I would say its more like the second, i took my downpipe to my muffler shop and had them flare my pipe....i use long brass nuts (about 3/4") and high temp. anti-seize, i think its the one with copper in it, don t forget to retighten after a few heat cycles.

Kinda concerned about the inside of that part, as it looks like it is reduced on one section. Try looking the part up on a corvette site.

Let me know if you have any further questions
Hope this helps...

SierraMtns 12-22-2014 05:24 PM

This is a great thread.

I have a question. I'm running old school heads with no mounting holes to run the alternator.

Would the Dorman 674-504 work? Or will I need to run the alternator on the upper passenger side?
Amazon.com: Dorman 674-504 Exhaust Manifold Kit:... Amazon.com: Dorman 674-504 Exhaust Manifold Kit:...

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps1cb06e29.jpg

Thanks

jaros44sr 12-22-2014 08:18 PM

I m guessing that there is a enongated squared off bracket ( the pivot bracket) on the bottom of the alt. If this is the case, then there is a threaded boss that is on the exhaust manifold

Take your alt. off and post up a pic. of the bottom mount.....

SierraMtns 12-22-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6967843)
I m guessing that there is a enongated squared off bracket ( the pivot bracket) on the bottom of the alt. If this is the case, then there is a threaded boss that is on the exhaust manifold

Take your alt. off and post up a pic. of the bottom mount.....

Here is a pic.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps5f67f90a.jpg

You think those manifolds will work?

jaros44sr 12-23-2014 07:53 AM

I m guessing that you would not use the adapter bracket that mounts around you header, and bolt your pivot bracket directly to the manifold, so, yeah it should work....

Don t forget to buy one for the passenger side, and you will have to cut that bracket off, since it will now be facing the firewall. Unless, you buy the proper manifold

CrewCab59 12-23-2014 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you don't want to use the heat riser spacer than you can use this .

CORVETTE EXHAUST PIPE FLANGE - 2 1/2" FLAT TYPE
Part#:322106
Price:6.95
Pkg:EACH
Year:1962-1974