The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Porterbuilt 69 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=229111)

jb4short 09-26-2007 06:15 PM

Re: Porterbuilt 69

I don't want to make work for Carter but put the exhaust back through the rear panel Nate

LUV2XCLR8 09-26-2007 06:19 PM

Drooling with Anticipation :D

PBFAB.COM 10-28-2007 12:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally made some time to get a little metal-work done on the truck...

Started cleaning up the firewall. I decided to keep it's factory look, but clean it up a bit. I will finish off the pass. side to match the driver's side.

Also went ahead and welded up the factory seam on the rear portion of the roof.

PBFAB.COM 10-28-2007 12:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
some more...

IvelDesigns 10-28-2007 01:02 AM

great work as usual.

question on the rear seam weld. what did you need to do to prep that? I've never sanded the paint down on one yet, but what's in that seam from the factory? will i need to clean it out before welding that seam up?

PBFAB.COM 10-28-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 2420027)
great work as usual.

question on the rear seam weld. what did you need to do to prep that? I've never sanded the paint down on one yet, but what's in that seam from the factory? will i need to clean it out before welding that seam up?

It's full of some type of seam-sealer. I took my cut-off wheel ground it out, then actually cut completely through so I could close the gap up and make it a tighter fit.

gringoloco 10-28-2007 01:42 AM

Nice metal finish work. Are you gonna shave the drip rails?

PBFAB.COM 10-28-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 2420055)
Nice metal finish work. Are you gonna shave the drip rails?

The drip rail will stay. I am partial to the way these trucks look with the drip rail.

Frizzle Fry 10-28-2007 12:33 PM

Much less work than the one you rolled but still a big improvement! Firewall looks great too.

ColoradoK5 10-28-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2420536)
Much less work than the one you rolled but still a big improvement! Firewall looks great too.

:agree:

PBFAB.COM 01-18-2008 01:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK... FINALLY had, I mean MADE some time to work on the 69. I have had a pile of parts setting around for too long! I have been working my butt off on Dropmembers and tying up customer projects and just needed some time for me! So, about 4 hours worth of work today and here we are... removed the factory front suspension (thanks N2Billet and SCOTI for the frame) and installed the DropmemberC4. (When I blow the truck apart for powdercoat I will flush-out the rack notches). Also got the LS1 and six-speed in place. Went to install the headers I had on the shelf... they don't fit. Looks like I will be fabricating custom headers and installing the twin turboes I picked up for the build last year... can't wait for that part! Things I am hoping to get done over the next few weeks: Finish fire-wall; install core support and front sheetmetal; hang doors; fabricate new trans tunnel; start the dash mods and hang the turbos!:metal:

In all reality, it will take longer... but it felt so good to work on it today!!!!

PBFAB.COM 01-18-2008 01:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a few more...

PBFAB.COM 01-18-2008 01:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and more...

RunninLo 01-18-2008 02:10 PM

:jdp::jdp::jdp::metal::metal::metal:
Amazing

Rokcrln 01-18-2008 02:19 PM

Well it is about time! I was starting to think someone might have dropped another trany on you:lol: So what are your plans for the rear;) Yes it sure does feel good to make progress on your own rig for a change. I am 3/4 thru mine and now I wil need to put it aside to finish up a customers rig then back to mine for a few weeks before the next one comes in.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

PBFAB.COM 01-18-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2534998)
Well it is about time! I was starting to think someone might have dropped another trany on you:lol: So what are your plans for the rear;) Yes it sure does feel good to make progress on your own rig for a change. I am 3/4 thru mine and now I wil need to put it aside to finish up a customers rig then back to mine for a few weeks before the next one comes in.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

I still can't feel the tip of my left ring finger!:lol:

The plans for the rear.... I will definitely be posting up progress pics. It will be using a Dropmember Rear Kit for the 63-72 C-10s. It will utilize trailing arms (factory or tubular) and the kit will include a new trailing arm crossmember; bolt-in notch (different notch depths will be available to go LOW or REALLY LOW); and panhard bar. Coming soon...

jasonb72 01-18-2008 02:34 PM

Darn you and those welds, AND YOU let the cat out of the bag, I think I will have to rename my project to Built By DropMember, cause it seems that is all I will have on the thing when it is done. Now you need to stop making kits so I can at least get it done once!! Great job, and all that in 4 hours.

RunninLo 01-18-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2535005)
I still can't feel the tip of my left ring finger!:lol:

The plans for the rear.... I will definitely be posting up progress pics. It will be using a Dropmember Rear Kit for the 63-72 C-10s. It will utilize trailing arms (factory or tubular) and the kit will include a new trailing arm crossmember; bolt-in notch (different notch depths will be available to go LOW or REALLY LOW); and panhard bar. Coming soon...

What's this could my dream of actually driving my 'burb be materializing??!!
Hurry and bring this to market before I blow all my dough on the new race bike, PLEASE?
Josh

abadsvt 01-18-2008 04:15 PM

Looks Sweet Nathan. So you not going to run the c4 rear end also? Is there a reason? Anyways keep up great work.

Josh

Rokcrln 01-18-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 2535026)
What's this could my dream of actually driving my 'burb be materializing??!!
Hurry and bring this to market before I blow all my dough on the new race bike, PLEASE?
Josh

Josh I am sure he will take an early payment just to keep you off that bike! Nate is just that kind of a stand up guy;)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

jb4short 01-18-2008 09:33 PM

Nice work, as always, Nate! What are all those "Popping" sounds when I weld?

Alvin 01-18-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2535005)

Well I'm glad I have another frame to build up! ;) I can't wait to see this kit!

kyull67 01-19-2008 06:27 AM

Wow! This truck is going to be awesome!
Your welds look like they were performed by a robot.:metal:

SCOTI 01-19-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt
..... So, about 4 hours worth of work today and here we are... removed the factory front suspension (thanks N2Billet and SCOTI for the frame) and installed the DropmemberC4.

Hhmm . . ..... Hardly recognized the frame w/o a trailer underneath it :lol: . I have that radiator core-support mount in my stash too. Sorry about that.... it was supposed to be replaced before going to you.

Where's my PB rear-suspension kit?

PBFAB.COM 01-19-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 2536027)
Hhmm . . ..... Hardly recognized the frame w/o a trailer underneath it :lol: . I have that radiator core-support mount in my stash too. Sorry about that.... it was supposed to be replaced before going to you.

Where's my PB rear-suspension kit?

Maybe I will have to hold onto the suspension until I recieve the rest of the frame parts!:lol: