The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Cubber's Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=540844)

cubber 11-18-2012 04:05 PM

Re: Cubber's Build Thread

2 Attachment(s)
Ever seen a Porterbuilt c notch and stage 2 front system, before and after paint?

cubber 11-18-2012 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was soo thankful to have Rus and Chuck to help cut the c notch. That stuff makes me nervous.:lol:

cubber 11-18-2012 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
While they were on the rear, Brian (Kronos1968) and I started tearing the front apart.
Notice the 2.5" McGaughy drop spindles? Thanks Pro Performance and Travis!

cubber 11-18-2012 04:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As the day wore on, and the drill bits wore out:lol: , something really great happened

cubber 11-18-2012 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The rear end of my truck got notched and bagged (and adjustable trac barred), and I saw how great it was, not only to have a cool hobby, but to share it with some great people

cubber 11-18-2012 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The day left me with two things... a worn out drill (bolt on parts, emphasis on bolt) and a head start on the rest of my build. Thanks guys, for a great day.

cubber 11-18-2012 04:22 PM

BTW, Porterbuilt makes an excellent product. Simple to install, quality materials, and excellent wormanship. These are no ebay chinese junk parts!

thelonerife 11-18-2012 07:04 PM

Its a good idea to buy a new drill if yours has been used to install two previous ones lol. And have plenty of good bits. Bicuits were awesome!

JRANGER 11-18-2012 07:25 PM

Great job guys!!

Rusbuilt 11-18-2012 07:31 PM

biscuits were awesome! Had a good time can't wait to do it again!

cubber 11-19-2012 01:01 AM

Talked with Summit today, and they are shipping a new wheel out Monday, and a shipping claims person is coming to get the bent one.
Posted via Mobile Device

thelonerife 11-19-2012 01:42 AM

Thats good Matt.

chopnchaneled 11-19-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5709220)
We began by cutting the last two bolts that held the bed, and removing it.

Hows about pointing out who is who, so if i meet them somewhere i can
say howdy.

cubber 11-20-2012 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rusbuilt on the left, thelonerife on the right. Unfortunately, I took all the pics, so there aren't any of me (or maybe that's a good thing). Brian's legs and feet are in a few, but he managed to dodge the camera most of the way as well. Maybe next time we meet, we can go to Olan Mills for a group photo :lol:

cubber 11-20-2012 12:39 AM

So, Ive been doing some engine research/shopping and found a 71-72 truck 4 bolt main 350 that is fresh from the machine shop with new rings, bearings, valve job, umbrella seals. It lacks a cam, lifters, pushrods, valve springs, and oil pan/ valve covers, but otherwise complete. The guy is asking $350, and says he'll go lower, which leaves room to buy the finishing touches. Thoughts, opinions, advice???

JRANGER 11-20-2012 12:48 AM

Its all about what you want.....I dont know much about engines but I know it cost $1300 for the 82 305 engine to be put in my truck......What that means I dunno thats just what the receipt says...So $350 to me isnt a bad start if its solid

cubber 11-20-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5712151)
Its all about what you want.....I dont know much about engines but I know it cost $1300 for the 82 305 engine to be put in my truck......What that means I dunno thats just what the receipt says...So $350 to me isnt a bad start if its solid

Yeah, but any engine bought from an unknown source is a gamble. I really would like to keep my inline and do a turbo build, but I'm not sure I have the skills.

chopnchaneled 11-20-2012 12:05 PM

Your still going to have to get all the brackets alt,powersteering etc. what about a flexplate, water pump,intake,carb,fuel pump?

350.00 is probably the cost of vatting and maching he did.

I managed to find a late model suburban roll over with low miles and its a vortech 350,
did change it to a carb, (don't know much about fuel injection) it has everything including
the a/c compressor for 700.00.
have had it in and driving about a year now and love it.

cubber 11-20-2012 02:53 PM

A friend of a friend has a 383 in his Chevelle (nearly new). He is wanting a big block and will let me have the complete motor with carb, all acc, starter and ceramic coated headers for $2000. I will look at it and drive the chevelle tonight. If it is what I think, I will prob jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

chopnchaneled 11-20-2012 03:01 PM

There ya go !!!!
Good luck

Rusbuilt 11-20-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5712973)
A friend of a friend has a 383 in his Chevelle (nearly new). He is wanting a big block and will let me have the complete motor with carb, all acc, starter and ceramic coated headers for $2000. I will look at it and drive the chevelle tonight. If it is what I think, I will prob jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

That might be fun!:metal:

cubber 11-21-2012 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have wish-washed back and forth about the engine to use in my truck. I wanted to keep the inline and build it or turbo it- too expensive. I wanted to freshen the inline up, put on a 2 barrel, and drive it-not enough power. I wanted to put in a crate motor...to boring for me. Today, as i was searching CL for any useful parts, I came across something, something loud, something fast. Something that belonged to a friend of a friend. After a few phone calls, a 20 min car ride, and a tire smokin', thunder rollin' test drive in a "71 Chevelle, I bought it. Not the car, the motor. The motor was built, and put in the car a while back. through a series of events, the owner realized he had an SS big block car, instead of a hopped up Malibu. Bottom line, he is going to return the car to original, so I adopted the 383 STROKER MOTOR!!!!! It is loaded with all the right internals, topped by the right heads, and to top it all off, he has no use for any of the accessories. Basically, I got a motor complete from chrome breather to ceramic coated headers for a song!! The motor has like 1500 miles on it, and I got to hear it run and drive it. I have always wanted a stroker motor, but thought I couldn't afford it. Turns out I was wrong. I left a deposit, and he is going to have a mechanic (who happens to be an old family friend) pull it, and then it's into my doghouse. After such a great day last Saturday, and now this? What a Thanksgiving week, and that's not even thinking about the big things I'm so thankful for each day.

thelonerife 11-21-2012 01:32 AM

Congrats Matt! Now that frontend needs buttoned up now and soon right?

cubber 11-21-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 5714174)
Congrats Matt! Now that frontend needs buttoned up now and soon right?

Right, Chuck! I think I will have time to finish it this weekend. I need to figure out how to mount the engine, though, so it will be in the proper position for firewall clearance.

Kronos1968 11-21-2012 05:50 AM

Wow. Just wow. Grats on that sweet beast. :metal: