The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   HOW TO: Crossmember sectioning ... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=543729)

RoadRat 10-01-2013 05:11 PM

Re: HOW TO: Crossmember sectioning ...

Chief, Thanks for the write up! Here is a nudge on finishing the steering! :)

63suburban 10-01-2013 06:16 PM

Excellent write -up! Thanks for taking the time.

ChiefRocka 10-02-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadRat (Post 6295093)
Chief, Thanks for the write up! Here is a nudge on finishing the steering! :)

Thanks for the much needed nudge ....

Super busy at the shop, gotta make time !

pimpston65 10-02-2013 11:55 PM

life does "get in the way" of our projects, been working on mine since 98' and just now bout to finish my complete frameoff resto. man that frame work is Bad Ass.

jayman68 10-03-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessfloho (Post 6009048)
yeah thank you very much for passing this on. I just finished putting my front suspen together using this method, turned out great. I also found some bag cups that I welded in to give me more travel. Now I'm having to deal with the steering, because of the added travel my steering shaft is hitting my control arm, anyone have any ideas?

I would suggest rack and pinion steering,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=465423

BRASSHEAD 10-04-2013 10:15 AM

How are you going to brace the upper a-arm bracket? The holes are now above the frame.

ChiefRocka 10-04-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayman68 (Post 6297427)
I would suggest rack and pinion steering,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=465423

Definitely a way to it.

Modifying the stock steering is my intention here.

ChiefRocka 10-04-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRASSHEAD (Post 6299019)
How are you going to brace the upper a-arm bracket? The holes are now above the frame.

This can be accomplished a couple ways.

Angle, tubing ....

I was planning on molding the reinforcement into the frame.

mr andrerson 10-04-2013 06:06 PM

thanks for all the great pics and write-up chief! ill be watching for sure!!

Kyle@FTP 02-06-2014 11:50 PM

Awesome thread and great write up. Curious as to why you go to the newer style crossmember?

ChiefRocka 02-07-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP (Post 6512425)
Awesome thread and great write up. Curious as to why you go to the newer style crossmember?

Hey Kyle ....

A '63 and UP crossmember does not need to be changed.

I only changed it because I wanted to get rid of the Torsion Bars (60-62), and upgrade to a coil suspension.

Kyle@FTP 02-07-2014 10:10 AM

Thanks makes sense now that I think about it. I have a 67 GMC that I will be doing the same thing to. So this was a great thread to run across.

LostMy65 06-01-2014 12:44 AM

I've been reading lots of threads on Sectioning, Z-Frame, and Notching the Crossmember.
It took me awhile to visualize what is happening with each option, and I really like the Sectioning method the best for one major reason. The Crossmember Notch, and Z'-Frame both raise the motor. Or I should say; lower the body and frame down without lowering the motor in relation to the drop.
But with the Sectioning of the Crossmember, the motor drops along with the frame and body.
For many of us 60-66 guys, this works out better. Because a lot of us running an HEI are already right up against the firewall with the cap. Lowering the body and frame without lowering the motor could cause us some issues with our distributor caps hitting the firewall.

Lowl!f3 06-04-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 6701386)
I've been reading lots of threads on Sectioning, Z-Frame, and Notching the Crossmember.
It took me awhile to visualize what is happening with each option, and I really like the Sectioning method the best for one major reason. The Crossmember Notch, and Z'-Frame both raise the motor. Or I should say; lower the body and frame down without lowering the motor in relation to the drop.
But with the Sectioning of the Crossmember, the motor drops along with the frame and body.
For many of us 60-66 guys, this works out better. Because a lot of us running an HEI are already right up against the firewall with the cap. Lowering the body and frame without lowering the motor could cause us some issues with our distributor caps hitting the firewall.

If you move the engine forward. You can solve that issue and create newer ones with possible recessing radiator or going with electric fans. Everything causes some type of issue. Sectioning will cause steering issues. Either way you choose it can be worked out. I'm going to section my xmember without Z.

jjzepplin 06-06-2014 08:04 AM

You are right sir. We all become GM engineers at some point in our builds. This site brings all of us together. Not sure I would tackle this. But I'm thinkin about it.

rico12410 06-25-2014 12:16 AM

thank you very much for the write up chief!

PowerdbyChevy79 01-24-2015 01:50 AM

trying to give this thread some life!!! ..hey chief...did you ever finish the burban..

ChiefRocka 01-24-2015 03:31 AM

Thanks man ....

Not yet, but it's going pretty good.

PowerdbyChevy79 01-24-2015 07:55 AM

Cool cant wait to see some pics...
Ok question...is putting a crossmember from a 71 a bolt in and then just transfer all the steering over (a-arms,draglink,pitman,idler arm) and what about the back..i have no experience with torsion bar set up.im buying a 60 panel and i want to drop it...

WEBBY1 01-24-2015 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread helped me quite a bit

Chevy Fleetside 01-24-2015 12:16 PM

Need to take a cruize down to your neck of the woods with Luca some weekend.

ChiefRocka 01-24-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 7016931)
Cool cant wait to see some pics...
Ok question...is putting a crossmember from a 71 a bolt in and then just transfer all the steering over (a-arms,draglink,pitman,idler arm) and what about the back..i have no experience with torsion bar set up.im buying a 60 panel and i want to drop it...

More pics are in the actual build thread ....

The crossmember will swap into a 62 and earlier chassis, but you need to redrill some holes.

This is beneficial in centering the wheel in well in dropped applications
Quote:

Originally Posted by WEBBY1 (Post 7016970)
This thread helped me quite a bit

Im glad !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 7017120)
Need to take a cruize down to your neck of the woods with Luca some weekend.

Anytime .... im headed to Turlock in a few

doublebeetx 01-25-2015 09:37 PM

How does it help in centering the front wheels ?

ChiefRocka 01-25-2015 10:42 PM

By relocating the crossmember about an 1" forward, it centers the wheels in the fender opening.

This would be in dropped, bagged situations

doublebeetx 01-25-2015 11:10 PM

I thought about that, but what do you do about the taper of the frame ? My 64 begins to taper in just ahead of where the crossmember originally bolts in. Sorry to ask too many questions