The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anti-theft devices ideas and suggestions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=696808)

rockyrivermark 04-10-2020 02:53 PM

Re: Anti-theft devices ideas and suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_70'C10 (Post 7472597)
I'm just starting my build and have thought about this. Has anyone put a newer style hood release on their ride? One that opens from inside the cab.

Yep. Super easy to install and works great

rockyrivermark 04-10-2020 02:56 PM

I did a similar thing in my truck 3 years ago and works great. Very simple to install. I mounted 4 - three position switches under dash my steering wheel.
So it’s like a combination of those 4 switches with 3 positions in order to start the truck. The switches I used are on in the up or down position and off in the middle position. So after I park I put all 4 in middle position.
Switch 1- goes to horn in both on postions. I was going to ad a timer to this but never did.
Switch 2 is nuetral safety switch off.
Switch. 3 brings power in and when in right position takes power to the 4th switch
Switch 4 sends power to the HEI.
That along with power locks on $75 alarm system

________

dagnabbitt 04-10-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 (Post 8713470)
Mine currently doesn't have a steering column. So if they want to take it they need to reinstall the column first.

I know what you mean; if someone wants to steal my credit card they'll have to make a payment on it to get it to work.

tim_mc 04-11-2020 09:12 AM

I installed a battery disconnect, a hood lock and a hidden kill switch that grounds out the HEI tack lead. I don't have a straight panel or fender on my truck, so that may be the best deterent of all!

Grumpy old man 04-11-2020 09:30 AM

Here's a suggestion , leave the keys in the dash and park in dark alleys once you've over insured it . After all this Corona virus stuff it's the only way to get paid back what you have invested in it . :smoke:

REDROCKER652002 04-11-2020 10:18 AM

On an old Z28 I had, I spliced into the ignition wire at the distributor, ran it to a toggle switch in the trunk, then back to the distributor. Locked the hood with a chain and it seemed to work ok. I guess if they wanted to drag it away not much was going to stop them. If they want the vehicle bad enough, they will figure out a way to get it

doowopper 11-14-2020 09:53 PM

LMC and Brothers sell locking hood latches for our trucks. about $100. they are year specific.

roger

dmjlambert 11-15-2020 12:29 AM

Can you give a link to that please?

tino0217 11-15-2020 07:29 AM

Kill switch on the coil is good but depending on work schedules, have a car parked behind your chevy

doowopper 11-15-2020 01:56 PM

https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...-cable-release

dmjlambert 11-15-2020 05:43 PM

I was hoping you found something that was actually a lock, as in a hardened device you put a key in and turn. The cab is pretty much effortless to open with a slim jim or just break a window, which is inexpensive to replace, then pull the knob.

LS short box 11-15-2020 05:59 PM

My truck is always in my locked and alarmed shop unless we are at a car show over night staying in a hotel. I have drilled and slotted brake rotors on my truck so I put a 10-24 socket head thru each rotor and fasten it with a ny-lock nut. If it's moved the bolts come up against the caliper mount. It's hard to see if they try to drag it out a parking spot in the middle of the night. And I guessing most thieves won't have an allen wrench and a 3/8" wrench to take the ny-lock nut off.

MAC71Cheyenne 11-16-2020 10:07 AM

Well everyone... Having spent a few years chasing down the people that think yours can be theirs, I have to say that if they want it bad enough nothing short of you standing there to greet them with some back up with Samuel Colt is going to stop them. Unfortunately even that is no guarantee. Just have to do what we can and hope for the best.
A little side note for a chuckle... RUMOR has it...there is a very large salvage yard in my neck of the woods that many years back was doing a booming business, still there but smaller operation.The "big boys" from a large community on Lake Michigan stopped by and informed the owner that he was now going to be a part of their business operations and he didn't take kindly to their offer. Couple of his employees closed and locked the gates and then blocked the entrance with the big yard truck. While the company reps were entertaining themselves with a cigar he hopped into his loader and proceeded to clear the drive of the trespassing Lincoln by shoving it into his crusher. Some tense conversation later included a warning that next time they will be in the car when he hits the button.
They took a cab all the way back to the big city.
Yes, sounds like a movie...but knowing one of the now passed surly gate keepers that related this tale I have little doubt about its authenticity. That group was a pretty intimidating looking clan.

trukman1 11-17-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad_man_72 (Post 7472256)
Garage.

THIS! :metal:

trukman1 11-17-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7472587)
I have a hidden ignition kill switch, and will use the "club" when I get my truck on the road, I like the idea of a fuel shutoff,does anyone make an electric shutoff valve? also, does anyone know of a hood lock for our old rigs?

I installed chains to the top hood latch "plate" and a padlock placed high enough you can't get a bolt cutter to. My son said, "Great idea dad...but what if you lose the key?" Well, darn! (I'm so forgetful that IS a possibility.)

ETA: I also have a battery disconnect on the negative terminal I unhook whenever I park it. Not fool proof but an added deterrent.

My son swaps the coil wire to a plug wire spot and the plug wire to the coil as well. I don't since I can't reach it but he says most car thieves won't think to check that.

Multiple layers offer more protection, IMO.

Thealien 11-17-2020 10:39 AM

Nothing stops a flat bed and most people will not question one picking up a vehicle. If they know what they are doing the vehicle can be gone in a couple of minutes. Other than parking other vehicles in front I do not know how to prevent this from happening!

tdangle 11-17-2020 02:44 PM

I have a steering wheel club, try to always have the front wheels turned Also a electronic lockout in the distributor. Try to make it not a quick easy grab. Also at home it's in a locked garage.

SD69C10 11-17-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8836187)
I was hoping you found something that was actually a lock, as in a hardened device you put a key in and turn. The cab is pretty much effortless to open with a slim jim or just break a window, which is inexpensive to replace, then pull the knob.

I have an old Chapman lock with a keyed lock in my Mustang...was thinking about getting a Z-Lok for the truck (basically the same thing). Also can attach the ignition kill to it.

https://zlokhoodlock.com/

Beach-Burban 11-17-2020 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few years ago, my Department's "Auto Theft Task Force" was giving these CLUBS away to the local community as a way of getting their name out there with the public. As cases of these sat in the Watch Commander's office for quite some time, my guess is that not many modern cars had a use for a CLUB...so they started giving them to the Car Clubs. I use mine on the Beach-Burban whenever I park in public...but at home during hours of darkness, I leave my '03 Envoy parked blocking it in as the main deterrent! I might also have a couple other hidden deterrents...but Shhh...don't tell anyone!

Woody

Attachment 2061321

GMC 72 4X4 11-18-2020 09:23 AM

Has anyone tried a keyed negative disconnect such as a cat style one.
Another thought is a Mico Lock for the brake system.
72 GMC 4 x 4

67/Heaven 11-18-2020 10:56 AM

Purchase a modern seat belt, one that has the switches built into the female portion of the belt and use those switches as a kill switch. The last thing a thief will be concerned with when attempting to start the truck is buckling up.

Again if they want it bad enough all you can do is slow them down.

rickcdewitt 01-30-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Skier (Post 7471996)
- Having a manual transmission preferably with 3 on the tree

This cracked me up!

truckster 01-30-2022 09:35 PM

I have two GPS device, one of which is a dash cam that will alert me if my vehicle is hit or moved. Then the three of us will meet you outside - me, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson (the three of us tend to hang out together).

Graham57a 01-30-2022 09:56 PM

I took the red wire going to my ignition switch under the dash and wired it into the on off switch on my am radio. If the radio knob isn’t turned on the truck won’t get spark. As everyone else has said, it won’t stop a really motivated thief but it’s better then nothing. More times then not I forget that I turned it off and go to start the truck and think “crap my battery must be dead” :lol::lol:

Zonaman 01-30-2022 10:35 PM

I've used a Ravelco device (https://www.ravelco.com/) in my C10 for more than a decade. I believe they're pretty hard to beat.