The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Rat repair. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=595019)

mcbassin 12-08-2016 09:04 AM

Re: Rat repair.

Nice progress on the swamp rat Mike.
Don't you love the fit of the replacement sheet metal....

swamp rat 12-08-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 7784268)
Mike, what seam sealer are you using on the cab floor and on the rockers?

Gary

I yet again did not realize someone was posting in my thread, I guess I need to talk to a moderator about how to fix this issue....

I was pretty busy so rather than stop at the local body shop I ordered thru Amazon, brand name is Dynatron 552 Brushable Gray Seam Sealer - 1 Quart, easy to work with, just go to the auto parts store and get a bunch of acid brushes to apply it, if the brush bristles are too long just trim them down a bit to make a bit firmer..

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ler+-+1+Quart+

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=acid+brushes

swamp rat 12-08-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltynuke (Post 7789567)
Mike,

Just finished reading the entire build thread so much great information you're putting together. Quick question, is your radiator overflow tank an OEM replacement or just a generic kit?

Thanks,
Shawn

Sorry for the delay! I don't think the overflow was ever offered from factory, at least that i'm aware of, so I would say aftermarket.

I got it from Franks Pick-um-ups in Olympia Wa 360-956-7170

Thanks for the comps!

swamp rat 12-08-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7790267)
Nice progress on the swamp rat Mike.
Don't you love the fit of the replacement sheet metal....

I know enough about tool and die, if I had a machine shop including a punch press i'd try to make new dies.. :D

swamp rat 12-08-2016 01:09 PM

So no posts for a while, a lot on the plate again, were in the middle of a deep freeze too, at least for around here, been rearranging my garage a bit so its been a mess.

The reason for the garage rearrangement is finding out that my next door neighbor who moved in about August is not only a registered sex offender but currently under house arrest and has a track record that consists of assault, kidnapping, theft, possession of stolen property along with others.. great.....

rearranging the garage consists of finding ways to start locking tool's up so they are not laying allover the garage hopefully in an attempt to avoid a smash and grab scenario.

I as mentioned decided to install a 2" lift front, 1" lift back on my daily driver before I reshoed it for winter, my tires were shot, I ordered one size larger than stock and had to wait a week for the tires, got them mounted and drove it home with no rubbing, took it to get a front end alignment the next day and it started rubbing while turning on certain situations, wtf... I remedied that with the dotco and a rotary file and trimmed the plastic down a little.

Hope to get back on the rat soon.

coopdog 12-11-2016 08:36 PM

keep up the good work man:metal:

swamp rat 12-12-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coopdog (Post 7793530)
keep up the good work man:metal:

Hey Coop glad to hear from you! Hope the Camino is doing well!

I admit things get a little busy this time of year so the rat gets put on the back burner but I hope to get back at it soon. We had about 2-3" of snow Thursday night, then it started to rain in the morning, all 3 of my car covers were about ready to give way from the weight of the snow and water, I should have taken pictures but I figured saving my cheap canvas roofs would take priority.

Dean'smeanmachine 12-14-2016 08:39 PM

Looking Great!! Awesome work and attention to detail!

GASoline71 12-14-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7790457)
I yet again did not realize someone was posting in my thread, I guess I need to talk to a moderator about how to fix this issue....

I was pretty busy so rather than stop at the local body shop I ordered thru Amazon, brand name is Dynatron 552 Brushable Gray Seam Sealer - 1 Quart, easy to work with, just go to the auto parts store and get a bunch of acid brushes to apply it, if the brush bristles are too long just trim them down a bit to make a bit firmer..

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ler+-+1+Quart+

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=acid+brushes

No worries Mike! Thanks for the info!

Gary

swamp rat 12-24-2016 12:11 PM

Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Hope to get back at it soon, have some in the garage work lined up so won't be under the cover for a bit, just got to get past the winter crud I have been dealing with.

DD1 01-06-2017 12:01 AM

Hey Mike, why did you decide to go with brush on seam sealer instead of the tube? At least for the cab/firewall joint, wouldn't a tube be better?

Also, where on the rockers get seam sealer? Do you push it in where the rocker meets the cab floor? Anywhere else you suggest adding seam sealer?

swamp rat 01-06-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 7816290)
Hey Mike, why did you decide to go with brush on seam sealer instead of the tube? At least for the cab/firewall joint, wouldn't a tube be better?

Also, where on the rockers get seam sealer? Do you push it in where the rocker meets the cab floor? Anywhere else you suggest adding seam sealer?

Mainly for ease of application, Seal any seam on both sides, any weld on both sides or any panel join. Per the rockers I don't know if its correct or not but I will put a little on both ends to fill in any small gaps and where the bottom is welded to the inner rocker on the back side, I do also intend to brush the seam sealer along the top where the inner and outer join just below the weather strip lip.

First c10 01-07-2017 03:19 PM

Hey Mike I used the brush on also. I could do a better job of getting it in the gaps and less clumpy.
I seen a video of a shop using brass filler rod and a tig welder. I think in the future I may try that.

DD1 01-07-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7817701)
Hey Mike I used the brush on also. I could do a better job of getting it in the gaps and less clumpy.
I seen a video of a shop using brass filler rod and a tig welder. I think in the future I may try that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7816405)
Mainly for ease of application, Seal any seam on both sides, any weld on both sides or any panel join. Per the rockers I don't know if its correct or not but I will put a little on both ends to fill in any small gaps and where the bottom is welded to the inner rocker on the back side, I do also intend to brush the seam sealer along the top where the inner and outer join just below the weather strip lip.

That's good information from both of you to store away for later. Don't know when I will need to worry about seam sealer, but now I know what to get and the best way to apply it. Thanks!

swamp rat 01-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 7817728)
That's good information from both of you to store away for later. Don't know when I will need to worry about seam sealer, but now I know what to get and the best way to apply it. Thanks!

I first tapped an outline on the floor then used an acid brush and brushed the stuff on, then pulled the tape off before it cured. I also hear you can wait until it starts to skin over then put in a neoprene glove and with some water smooth it out, I also heard of using something like alcohol but didn't try it being as its all not going to be seen. I guess you could use the tube and a brush but my luck with tubes is use it once and it clogs the tube nozzle because I cant get it sealed up tight.

I also filled the gaps between the inner kick panel and floor as good as I possibly could.

DD1 01-07-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7817776)
I first tapped an outline on the floor then used an acid brush and brushed the stuff on, then pulled the tape off before it cured. I also hear you can wait until it starts to skin over then put in a neoprene glove and with some water smooth it out, I also heard of using something like alcohol but didn't try it being as its all not going to be seen. I guess you could use the tube and a brush but my luck with tubes is use it once and it clogs the tube nozzle because I cant get it sealed up tight.

I also filled the gaps between the inner kick panel and floor as good as I possibly could.

Makes sense. Unless you are going to use the entire tube in one shot, it does not make sense. And you still have to press it in and smooth it out with a tube; might as well do it from a can.

swamp rat 01-08-2017 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yet another distraction, 10.5 weeks old and his body from his chest to his hips are easily as long as my shoulders are wide, couldn't pass this guy up. His name is Cooper.

DD1 01-09-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7820046)
Yet another distraction, 10.5 weeks old and his body from his chest to his hips are easily as long as my shoulders are wide, couldn't pass this guy up. His name is Cooper.

He is so adorable. Where did you get him? That's a great distraction to have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Molberg 01-15-2017 04:00 AM

All good stuff Mike... happy new year. Cooper will be covered in bondo dust before you know it

swamp rat 01-16-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molberg (Post 7826460)
All good stuff Mike... happy new year. Cooper will be covered in bondo dust before you know it

Nice to hear from you Molberg! This guy is a handful right now.

We still have very cold temps here, I had hoped to be started on some in the garage metal repair to the fender and passenger door by now but I have been laden with the lung congestion crud for a couple weeks, don't want to risk breathing any crap for a while, plus my energy level is pretty low. eventually..

First c10 03-06-2017 03:47 PM

Hey Mike just thought I would check in. I hope all is well!

swamp rat 03-06-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7878125)
Hey Mike just thought I would check in. I hope all is well!

Thanks for checkin in!

My Rat weighs heavily on my mind daily and i know i got to get back to it soon, no progress yet this year but hope to change that soon, been a crazy winter. I refuse to be one of the guys that gives up mid project.

Cooper has about probably doubled in size too, growing fast!

7dee2 03-07-2017 11:04 AM

My youngest boy got a Lab pup for Christmas and it’s doubled in size also. Gotta luv a big dog!

First c10 03-07-2017 12:16 PM

Sounds great Mike you will be back at it soon. The weather should be getting better also.
I have a English springer that is 14-1/2 years old. She is getting around slow slow. Sucks but we all get older.

Dogs are truly mans best friend.

BossH0G 03-10-2017 11:41 PM

I agree dogs are truly mans best friend.

A dog is the only living thing on the planet that will love you more than it loves itself.

The thing about dogs are, they steal your heart, then they break it.