The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Chevy p/u NewType Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507903)

NewType72 06-08-2012 07:10 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy p/u NewType Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5422804)
well back in the day that Limco paint was good for a slick and cheap paint job.

The lincoln did very well and I'm glad we put some
Flack to it it really makes the wood strips pop at night oh did I mention I drove her to work today and shell be in the graffiti classic car parade tonight?? Yeah forgot that lmao! I'll put pics up tonight for all you anxious watchers I wanna thank you for being helpful and patient with my excessive postings but I am a stickler for details and what we've done to it
Thanks -Newtype
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 06-08-2012 07:17 PM

Limco* and mike yeah my dad says it has no way in hell making it but I think if I could get a motor tune from
A buddy of ours that it would be a lot better to make it down there for the brothers show so I'm really hoping on that
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 06-09-2012 03:39 AM

Had an amazing night with my girl and my lil car club at the parade and cruising our parents old stomping grounds pretty good night and very satisfied with my truck. did have a lil bobble on the way home it kinda stuttered electrically and kicked back on guess i have a ground issue and I think my ignition is going out as well some few bugs but not huge ones gonna be up bright and early to shine and show for my sponsors if you're in the area stop for the car show it's an awesome event
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1339227233
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1339227215
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1339227191
and yes my best bud drives a stang how ironic huh? :lol:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1339227178

naphtali5725 06-10-2012 08:39 AM

very nice truck man :D

NewType72 06-11-2012 07:44 PM

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 06-12-2012 11:41 AM

Hey boys got a question for you all my 12 bolt rear end has been howling like a mad man that can't get his skippy from the top shelf so I need some advice on how to change the fluid in this bad boy and put more in but I'd like to have an idea of what to put in that would be a great long lasting oil. Price doesn't scare me having my rear end explode does tho haha so yeah any help much appreciated
-newtype
Posted via Mobile Device

67barnfind 06-12-2012 01:32 PM

If your rear is howlin' I'm pretty sure that you're past a simple fluid change... From my past experiences, every time the rear went to making that sound, the lash was off between the ring and pinion gears.I would suggest pulling the cover for a fluid change anyway, but while it's all open, with the tires off the ground, you can check the lash between the gears. (This just happened with a friend's truck, it ended up breaking teeth off) The lash should be less than .012 What brand gears were used? Some brands are just plain noisy. most gears (aftermarket) will run between .006" -.009". The newer OEM gears run tighter (.002 -.004) since they are made with a 2 cut process instead of a 5 cut like the older oem & aftermarket gears use. Just a thought... Good luck!

NewType72 06-12-2012 02:49 PM

I've never been into the rear end on this truck it's the only thin I truly haven't touched so I have no idea what's inside it. As for checking the lash what exactly is that when you look inside? Or what am I looking for damage wise? I hope it's not that bad but If so it prob means i need to start scrounging money for that ford 9 inch that I have my eyes on at a buddies. The truck has been kinda lurching when coming to a sudden stop and has even decided to spin both wheels last weekend it's acting very odd
Posted via Mobile Device

72SWBChevy 06-15-2012 09:55 PM

Looks great, your progress was awesome!!

NewType72 06-15-2012 11:33 PM

thank you man problem now is my rear end is starting to REALLY give out the howling has become worse so i guess it's time i start saving for my buddies ford 9 inch so I'll have a new project to get my hands dirty with here in a month or so

NewType72 06-19-2012 10:54 PM

Hello all I know I haven't updated in awhile right now I'm just in recovery mode from all the spending I've done the past two months so now it is time to start saving up for my new investment being a FORD 9 INCH! :metal: I know I know a ford part on my cheby buuuuut it'll save me a ton from rebuilding my old faulty 12 bolt soo with this all in mind I'll be needing to gather some info on how exactly and what exactly entails this kind of swap I have my turbo 350 trans in now so will i need a longer or shorter driveline? or can I stay the same? I'll need new saddles for the rear end support on my truck arms and somehow lineup the rear end side to side oh and as well as swapping the axles within to chevy bolt 5x5. gear ratio is important too so I have no clue in this department.

Tinkermc 06-20-2012 10:56 AM

you ask about oil I use Amsoil, it is pure syn. also seems to last forever and they warrenty for double the manufactures mileage on changes. truck looks real good.

El Campo 06-20-2012 11:10 PM

12 bolt is still a great rear end. I had one under my truck and it makes well over 600 HP. Takes some serious coin to put a 9 inch under them because you have to change the axles among other things. I have considered it too but the 12 bolt held up fine even on the track with stock axles. I also have one that I could get fairly easily but have wondered these questions that you have. Maybe someone who knows more than us can clue us in? Nothing looks better than a 9 inch either :metal:

NewType72 06-20-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5445085)
you ask about oil I use Amsoil, it is pure syn. also seems to last forever and they warrenty for double the manufactures mileage on changes. truck looks real good.

Thanks Tinker. I may just end up pulling the cover off and filling up with new oil see how she goes before I get too far in

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Campo (Post 5446280)
12 bolt is still a great rear end. I had one under my truck and it makes well over 600 HP. Takes some serious coin to put a 9 inch under them because you have to change the axles among other things. I have considered it too but the 12 bolt held up fine even on the track with stock axles. I also have one that I could get fairly easily but have wondered these questions that you have. Maybe someone who knows more than us can clue us in? Nothing looks better than a 9 inch either :metal:

no doubt I've really punished this one but it's the original it's ready to go ad soon. I have about 200$ for the rear end itself disc included just need to hand back some brackets to the guy. I have a friend that will do the saddles and a shop that could mount it all up on a surface plate as well. I wouldnt mind havin it broken into and rebuilt before going on and the axles i could bite the bullet on. I'd love to have disc all around even if this truck stops better than most vehicles i drive already haha

NewType72 06-24-2012 06:49 PM

Picked up quite a few pieces to the puzzle thursday night. Went out to the c/10 king's ranch ((Thank you Rene!!)) and he helped me go in the right direction talked for quite awhile on past and present matters and picked up a few items including a front pair of stock springs and a factory green tint rear solid glass which I'll be prettying up and tinting within the week hopefully. I also threw those springs in yesterday amongst other things to work on through the day so here's some pic's of that update

From right to left 2" drop springs didn't work at all (for sale) 1" drop springs also didn't work at all (also for sale) and finally the stock height
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1340576211

dis assembly of the suspension
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1340576231

dropped roughly so I had to fit in two spring helpers to get it off the tire it does better but I'm still looking for a better solution
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1340576191

67cheby 06-24-2012 07:33 PM

You might look at CPP's modular spindles they narrow the front a little, looks good !
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 06-24-2012 08:41 PM

narrowing would be awesome but with my 15's im maxed with room to move in before i rub my a-arm

Tinkermc 06-24-2012 09:50 PM

in thatlast picture the wheel looks to be rear of center. Is it? or is it camera angle?

NewType72 06-24-2012 11:01 PM

with the width of the tire it makes it look further back than it should be but I just looked now and it might be a tick to the rear but cant tell with the way these bodies are

David67 06-28-2012 03:18 AM

Man I love red/white two tones! Looks awesome. I actually thought about doing a white top and maybe grille? My tailgate letters will be white so that has to count for something lol

mcbassin 06-28-2012 08:37 AM

Very cool project! you have really knocked this build out! Love the red paint.

NewType72 06-28-2012 11:11 AM

That would look wicked too David and I think my letters will be white as well at least until I put the band across the tailgate to cover those gourgeous embossed letters :(
Thank you mcbassin but my work is never done I gott fix up the rear end to last me another half year and then get the motor a nice tune then in half a year a full power train replacement yay! More money! Hahahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

dracula4999 06-28-2012 03:17 PM

Very nice truck! My question would be, why dont you just get some wheels with the right backspacing to keep from screwing up tires??? instead of spending money on different springs, or bags or helper springs...just fix what is causing the problem. Just my .02

NewType72 07-03-2012 01:48 PM

Well I have a solution I desperately want a smoother ride springs just can't cut it for me drop spindles are a lil pricey when mine are a year old so it looks like I'm going to going with BAGS! Yup gonna build up some cash and start getting stuff ready to install front end airbags manual no compressors or Tanks this is purely ride comfort for me
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 07-03-2012 01:50 PM

Had quite enough of ten mph turns going to the movies with the dad and my father rubbed the tires the entire way got to give it up for copper cobra tires though they take a hell of a beating
Posted via Mobile Device